Is Wilson losing their marketing edge?

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
With Wilson elevating Daryl to head the company, I wonder what marketing changes the company will make to eventually replace the aging Peter McGrath. Wilson has always had McGrath play many of his excellent, high-resolution recordings at shows and events to help them stand out. McGrath's professorial look and sophisticated speech patterns always created the aura that Wilson was a serious brand for classical musical fans.

But McGrath is no longer a spring chicken. I wonder who they have in their bullpen or farm system... I also wonder if they thought of this...

That Daryl has been involved in almost 40 Wilson Audio designs is an indicator that Wilson is more forward looking than most realize. Thinking of something is only the first part of creating the solution.

Reactions: Lee

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Bill Peugh has just been hired and I am betting he will replace McGrath. Bill is a member here and goes by "metaphacts"

While that is a very kind assessment Steve, Peter is my mentor in this industry. I went to work for Peter in 1978 at Sound Components. Replace him? There is no replacement. There will ultimately be someone else somewhere down the line but not soon. Peter isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Anyone who saw him in action at Orchestra Hall this weekend in Chicago could easily see that.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The latest Wilson speakers are really impressive imo, and that XLF demo a few years ago at RMAF was spectacular. In general, I've noticed the performance of large dynamic floorstanders has been converging for years, and there are a lot of good choices. But Wilson has the advantage of being the Mercedes of high end dynamic speakers, I don't see that changing. They don't need marketing to keep brand consciousness alive like smaller companies do. An enviable position, but one justly earned as well imo.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Peter mc grath did a very nice demo in Rotterdam in 2005. , one of the nicest I can remember, I just got into (expensive ) HI fi then (couple of years )
Maxx. 2. ML 32 , halcro DM 68 and the double box wadia front end ,it was also the first time I heard a tape deck, he demonstrated with a tiny nagra .
One of my favourite amplification set ups period.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Peter mc grath did a very nice demo in Rotterdam in 2005. , one of the nicest I can remember, I just got into (expensive ) HI fi then (couple of years )
Maxx. 2. ML 32 , halcro DM 68 and the double box wadia front end ,it was also the first time I heard a tape deck, he demonstrated with a tiny nagra .
One of my favourite amplification set ups period.

I saw him do the same demo in Las Vegas at CES. It was the best audio demo I have ever seen or heard

caesar

May 30, 2010
I think what's interesting about this multi-year thread is that Wilson is clearly now doing better than ever and has built momentum since with Alexia, Alexx, Yvette, and Sabrina.

I think between the financial meltdown a few years back and so many reviewers dumping wilsons for magicos made them better.

caesar

May 30, 2010
The latest Wilson speakers are really impressive imo, and that XLF demo a few years ago at RMAF was spectacular. In general, I've noticed the performance of large dynamic floorstanders has been converging for years, and there are a lot of good choices. But Wilson has the advantage of being the Mercedes of high end dynamic speakers, I don't see that changing. They don't need marketing to keep brand consciousness alive like smaller companies do. An enviable position, but one justly earned as well imo.

Although it's very easy for reviewers to go with the hurd and reflexively award every speaker "best of show", "product of the year", no company can leave it's brand alone. If you are not actively marketing your brand, the consumers and fans are talking about your brand to their friends and online. In effect, all these conversations are co-evolving the brand meaning, whether you are engaged or not. If you are not engaged, danger lurks...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Why so worried about what reviewers think , thought you past that stage long time ago .

Regarding demos , giving top demos is an art , not very many posses it , i ve heard a handfull exeptional ones , all very expirienced guys.

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
At Axpona 2018, 2 dueling Wilson dealers had taken over the entire first floor of the hotel. One was able to hear virtually every model of Wilson speakers, except for the wammy...

But at RMAF 2018, I did not see a single wilson speaker... while Magico had 3 rooms, with the CAT /Magico s 5 v 2 room sounding outstanding ...

But never fear... the wilson influence is still strong... Wilson nearly swept the speaker awards with the wammy and alexia v 2 winning in the $15K + categories... the only other speaker brand to win was B&W for the "cheapo" category...

https://www.audiofest.net/and-the-4...national-hifi-press-awards-rihpa-winners-are/

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
At Axpona 2018, 2 dueling Wilson dealers had taken over the entire first floor of the hotel. One was able to hear virtually every model of Wilson speakers, except for the wammy...

But at RMAF 2018, I did not see a single wilson speaker... while Magico had 3 rooms, with the CAT /Magico s 5 v 2 room sounding outstanding ...

But never fear... the wilson influence is still strong... Wilson nearly swept the speaker awards with the wammy and alexia v 2 winning in the $15K + categories... the only other speaker brand to win was B&W for the "cheapo" category...

https://www.audiofest.net/and-the-4...national-hifi-press-awards-rihpa-winners-are/

I'm happy you noticed we're still here Caesar!

Dueling? How about two Wilson dealers joined forces to increase their visibility/impact across their shared brands (including Sonus faber, McIntosh, Clearaudio, ARC, Wilson, and more) at Axpona?

How about our dealer in Denver chose to display TuneTots at RMAF? That might have been different had Sasha DAW been ready to release at RMAF. But Matt had been planning to use TuneTots since they were released.

Wilson does regional shows in support of our dealers. We also sometimes loan Wilsons to other manufacturers if that manufacturer is not carried by our local dealer and that manufacturer does not have a local market dealer. That means sometimes we have a large presence, sometimes not so large, and sometimes not at all, depending on show market.

The RIHPA Awards might be a more apropos measure for your thread title since those awards are given by the press from 13 countries around the world, rather than from one country or one show. In other words, you won't likely be nominated let alone win unless you have a reasonably strong global presence.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
In a recent issue of TAS, Jonathan Valin wrote a show report descriibing a Wilson / Spectral combination. For Wilson to mate with Spectral makes absolutely no sense to me. Yes, it probably sounds more true to the recording, but why bother?

Wilson has always prided themselves on producing a live show at home. Then comes Magico and it gets dubbed as the more accurate speaker - or a speaker that excels reproducing everything on the recording.

Why would Wilson want to fight Magico on their turf? Let Magico have the honor of being the speaker that goes for your head, while Wilson grabs your heart. And recently hearing the Alexandria with the new D'Agostino amps, it is hard to beat Wilson at producing the show experience, which is what most audiophiles are looking for.

Wilson won't convince guys like Valin about accuracy/ being true to the recording no matter how hard they try. Why not focus your marketing efforts on your strengths - that you have the speaker that recreates the emotions of a live show at home. Emotion is what sells the speakers. Seems like a very dumb move by a supposed marketing genius.

I have no dog in this fight but Caesar you need to go back and follow the history
Wilson has shown and been " aligned" with Spectral in the past back in the Watt/Puppy days along with MIT before they got involved with Krell, VTL, DAG, ARC, MLAS and Transparent. They have shown with all of these at some time in the past and in fact when I was a Spectral Dealer, a long time ago, one of the reasons I got out was Spectral tried to force their choices of speakers on my sensibilities. COUGH COUGH
From a marketing sense they have done a great job of getting their products to a wide variety of manufacturers to use and demo with. In this regard they have done a better job than most.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I'm happy you noticed we're still here Caesar!

Dueling? How about two Wilson dealers joined forces to increase their visibility/impact across their shared brands (including Sonus faber, McIntosh, Clearaudio, ARC, Wilson, and more) at Axpona?

How about our dealer in Denver chose to display TuneTots at RMAF? That might have been different had Sasha DAW been ready to release at RMAF. But Matt had been planning to use TuneTots since they were released.

Wilson does regional shows in support of our dealers. We also sometimes loan Wilsons to other manufacturers if that manufacturer is not carried by our local dealer and that manufacturer does not have a local market dealer. That means sometimes we have a large presence, sometimes not so large, and sometimes not at all, depending on show market.

The RIHPA Awards might be a more apropos measure for your thread title since those awards are given by the press from 13 countries around the world, rather than from one country or one show. In other words, you won't likely be nominated let alone win unless you have a reasonably strong global presence.

Hi Metaphacts,

All the credit for this is due to Dave Wilson, a GREAT, GREAT man for building a great company and having influenced so many people and continuing to shape the tastes of so many more fans and "audio journalists". Whether people hate the Wilson audio sound or are more neutral toward it, I believe everyone recognizes it. But we all need to understand the marketing influences and how they work ... and also, the competition isn't resting on its laurels...

caesar

May 30, 2010
I have no dog in this fight but Caesar you need to go back and follow the history
Wilson has shown and been " aligned" with Spectral in the past back in the Watt/Puppy days along with MIT before they got involved with Krell, VTL, DAG, ARC, MLAS and Transparent. They have shown with all of these at some time in the past and in fact when I was a Spectral Dealer, a long time ago, one of the reasons I got out was Spectral tried to force their choices of speakers on my sensibilities. COUGH COUGH
From a marketing sense they have done a great job of getting their products to a wide variety of manufacturers to use and demo with. In this regard they have done a better job than most.

Hi Elliot, I am younger, so I don't have a sense of history. Thank you for sharing that perspective.

As far as the alliances go, virtually every manufacturer wants to voice their equipment to sound good with Wilson.. D'Agostino, CJ, CAT, ARC, VTL, dCS, etc. But it's a double edged sword.. I think it may be hurting a company like a VTL or a dCS as people only get to hear them with Wilson for the most part.

More innovative companies like MSB seem to be turning toward the YG and Magico. And CAT may be the best amp for Magico today (for non-analytical listeners)...

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Hi Elliot, I am younger, so I don't have a sense of history. Thank you for sharing that perspective.

As far as the alliances go, virtually every manufacturer wants to voice their equipment to sound good with Wilson.. D'Agostino, CJ, CAT, ARC, VTL, dCS, etc. But it's a double edged sword.. I think it may be hurting a company like a VTL or a dCS as people only get to hear them with Wilson for the most part.

More innovative companies like MSB seem to be turning toward the YG and Magico. And CAT may be the best amp for Magico today (for non-analytical listeners)...
I don't agree with you on the voicing thing since a quality manufacturer should be using multiple items to understand their products. For example CH has a least 4 pair of speakers in their sound room. However since Wilson is successful and probably sells more high end speakers than anyone else it does make sense for many of these companies to have a Wilson speaker. There is a lot of politics and their is a lot of trading of product between companies as well. This is the business side and listeners don't really want to know this because it is their hobby. Its not a hobby to these companies and they do what's required to survive and prosper.
For newer companies, especially State of the Art companies, that produce speakers, it is hard to receive exposure because they aren't the BIG TWO.
I won't get into this on a public forum but that is the facts!!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
For newer companies, especially State of the Art companies, that produce speakers, it is hard to receive exposure because they aren't the BIG TWO.
I won't get into this on a public forum but that is the facts!!

That's interesting. By "big two" you must be referring to Wilson and Magico. Magico just celebrated ten years of being in business. They broke into the scene, seemingly out of nowhere. Perhaps others could learn from their approach. It seems to be working. If you are referring to some other brand, my comments probably make no sense.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
That's interesting. By "big two" you must be referring to Wilson and Magico. Magico just celebrated ten years of being in business. They broke into the scene, seemingly out of nowhere. Perhaps others could learn from their approach. It seems to be working. If you are referring to some other brand, my comments probably make no sense.
Yes I am and they certainly had a huge advocate in the press and a large budget for advertisement. Their plan worked well I agree.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think the resolution of this thread shows how silly the OP was. Wilson seems stronger than ever despite Dave's passing - that says a lot about the company. (...)

And it says a lot about the quality of their products and their well thought design options. High-end consumers are not cattle, they buy what they appreciate and prefer.

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Yes, high quality products and well thought out designs, Don't forget excellent people - Wilson has among the very best at their job. The entire ownership experience from purchase, delivery, professional setup through trade-in or up may very well be the best in the industry - none of that happens by accident.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing