Isolation Transformer and Balanced Power versus PS Audio Regenerator

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Ron
Is there any conclusion on what might be the best ?
For European 240v power what is recommended solution?
Balanced transformers ?
if so where can I get it ?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron
Balanced transformers ?

No rule of general applicability can be formulated. Which, if any, is "best" will be very idiosyncratic and depends on each audiophile's particular mains power and system components and sonic preferences.

Reactions: asiufy

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Ron
Balanced transformers ?

Where are you based Kris?

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
I have been down this road on what ended up being a many year frustrating adventure.

kmain@toruspower.com Kevin Main, Torus Power out of Toronto, Canada. I believe their solution is one of the best out there and reasonable for any application. Units designed specifically for Europe are manufactured and shipped.

PM with questions. He will give you ample insight for viable solutions and acts more as a consultant than a sales person.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I can heartily recommend balanced power BPTs, in UK w Airlink for cheap sub-£500 solutions, and my Westwick 8kVA for more robust audiophile needs. I know UK Paul of Z Axis Audio gets great results w his line of BPTs, I can vouch for that having heard his system.

I've gone from au naturel, to radial main to Burmester 948 conditioner to Airlink BPT to Westwick BPT, each change was a clear level up.

For me, the critical thing was to attain lower noise w no compromise to dynamics. Radial main and Burmester achieved the former, but not the latter. Balanced power provided it all, w the Westwick maxxing low end power, bass articulation and natural warmth.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I have been down this road on what ended up being a many year frustrating adventure.

kmain@toruspower.com Kevin Main, Torus Power out of Toronto, Canada. I believe their solution is one of the best out there and reasonable for any application. Units designed specifically for Europe are manufactured and shipped.

PM with questions. He will give you ample insight for viable solutions and acts more as a consultant than a sales person.

Highly recommended.

not sure if I gottour answer right.
why it was so frustrating for many years ?
do you still use it ?
do you still recommend it ?
which one has all benefits without damping dynamics ?

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I can heartily recommend balanced power BPTs, in UK w Airlink for cheap sub-£500 solutions, and my Westwick 8kVA for more robust audiophile needs. I know UK Paul of Z Axis Audio gets great results w his line of BPTs, I can vouch for that having heard his system.

I've gone from au naturel, to radial main to Burmester 948 conditioner to Airlink BPT to Westwick BPT, each change was a clear level up.

For me, the critical thing was to attain lower noise w no compromise to dynamics. Radial main and Burmester achieved the former, but not the latter. Balanced power provided it all, w the Westwick maxxing low end power, bass articulation and natural warmth.

Thank you
What would be your primary choice and why ?
What do you use personally ?

I am in contact with Axis. But this solution might be very expensive as far as I know.

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
I am glad you ask for clarity...

why it was so frustrating for many years ?

I had to chase down the issue of why-- 1. modern electronics pollute our power supply this can arise both from your own home and from houses around you. I trialed many many solutions and ran independent dedicated lines without resolution. Operating rooms run on power isolation (for different reasons). This tipped me on to Torus and other manufacturers, like EquiTech - I like Torus approach better.

do you still use it ? - Yes and highly recommend it to my customers.

do you still recommend it ? yes.

Which one has all benefits without damping dynamics ? No issue with dynamics and Torus has a great explanation as to why. I also believe all independent manufacturers know what they are doing with this design approach and preservation of dynamics is inherent. There are aspects that I appreciate with Torus that are not offered by other manufacturers but this is by no means a negative to other manufacturers, who themselves may have other advantages.

https://www.toruspower.com/key-benefits-of-torus-power/

1. Provide more dynamic range for superior audio performance.
Here’s how: Torus Power provides very low source impedance to connected devices. A low impedance power source enables high current delivery on an instantaneous basis, ensuring components are not starved for power. For example, a typical 200W audio amplifier demands 10A RMS current from a 120V line but may demand up to 50A instantaneous peaks.
A 15A or 20A Torus Toroidal Power Isolation Transformer can deliver 300A or 400A peaks when the system demands it, allowing the highest power amplifiers to deliver maximum performance and dynamics without strain or compromise.
The High Instantaneous Current Capability provides the expanded dynamic range experienced when using Torus Power.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I can add one hands on comparison with the PS Audio P10 which I have had feeding my entire front end for over two years. It could not also feed my mono blocks so they have until recently been direct to their own 20 amp lines.

In December, I installed a Shunyata Denali/s v2. While slowly testing its use on my amps and then on my front end, I have removed the P10 entirely and have my entire system connected to the Denali with the help of a PS audio Dectet. The improvement was obvious and was shown as more air / space in the sound stage along with better dynamics (Than when the amps were connected to the P10).

Very happy with that change.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Kris, I sold the Burmester to someone on the forum who loves it. Me? It was great in one way, but seriously failed for me re dynamics.

The Airlink BPT is a slam dunk giant killer, no compression on dynamics. But it left a slightly tilted-up sound, emphasising treble over bass. However, at <£500, cannot really be criticised.

The Westwick was a natural progression, now audiophile pricing at £5k, but solves the remaining issues I felt the Airlink just failed at. Primarily way better texture and heft, bringing the resulting sound back to a more natural mids-based presentation.

The only issues are:
1- it isn't plug and play...needs to be hard wired in and dedicated lines hard wired from it - it isn't a self-contained unit w sockets built into the chassis.
2- it's a tad noisy, producing a low-level mechanical hum...this is not transferred to the music signal, just experienced at the unit itself
And thus ideally the Westwick needs to be installed away from the listening seat.

I know the Z Axis is pricier, but is a more "finished" audiophile product, aesthetically prettier, w inbuilt sockets, no hum, and like a line conditioner can be plugged into the mains and gear plugged into it w no major electrician install.

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
2- it's a tad noisy, producing a low-level mechanical hum...this is not transferred to the music signal, just experienced at the unit itself.

If I may make a recommendation - larger transformer, especially if using tube gear. This should resolve the humming issue.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Larger traffo in the balanced unit or my tube amps?

My BPT uses a giant single coil 8kVA unit, up there w the biggest Equi=Techs.

My Nat tube amps use significant iron too, twin traffos per mono.

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
Isolation transformers can buzz when low watt tube amps are used. The solution is a larger than anticipated isolation transformer, 5:1 rating. If your system draws 10A in total, then use a transformer rated at 50A or more.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Interesting, I've never heard that before.

My Nats are 70-80W Class A.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013

Europe needs a balanced iso much more then here due it’s odd grounding scheme
They use a grounding ring of multiple points good for most and extremely bad for audio. As they don’t use a Starr point for neutral again bad for audio as most dc offset is created in the USA from neural to hot leg. Since Europe only has hot legs at 240 volt only a very large bal transformer can help. And any form of dc blocking devices are very bad for audio.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Isolation transformers can buzz when low watt tube amps are used. The solution is a larger than anticipated isolation transformer, 5:1 rating. If your system draws 10A in total, then use a transformer rated at 50A or more.
Lol they only buzz on dc offset no matter what you connect. How ever a less load as you describe can produce more acoustic noise you hear. but if you measured it it’s the same. Also dc offset varies constantly as it’s a complex add and take away produced by a few items common in most all homes. A toaster is one go figure.
one last caveat. Larger size transformers are much more effected by dc offset while smaller are less due to the higher dc resistance of the windings
so in some ways our smaller stuff is less effected and you don’t hear acoustic noises. I’m not trying to hurt trade in audio there is truly great products made by really smart people. so please don’t take my somewhat pointed comments as such.
Ketchum is correct in saying get a larger then needed iso a very true concept to follow

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
If anyone wishes to ask me Questions I’m very willing to help all. Even if it’s in private
Don’t feel I’m tying to hurt anyone all I’m doing is making things better for anyone

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I tried power regen and didn't find it favorable. Not deeply deleterious, but slightly muting of vividity. It introduced some subtle noise. Overall I did not consider power regen, PSA or otherwise, to be worth the cost in neither dollars nor shelf space nor footprint. I know the Torus iso is effective. Keithr has had one for a few years, and even with Ampzillas beavering away on inefficient speakers, the Torus is quiet, calming and shows no evidence of dynamic restriction. I've considered one myself, but I've taken a different route, breaking down the solution into smaller blocks.

One of the advantages of high efficiency speakers is that while I could opt for large power amps, I don't have to and in fact many small amps will sound better. One system uses a TVC, so front end power requirements are very light, and right now I am running custom 15-18w tube amps there. The system consumes under 1.4 - 1.9A @ 120v at high SPL. The other system includes a tube linestage and it consumes 2.6 -2.9A at full tilt, with custom 13w tube amps.

So I break down power isolation this way:

1/ Each system has a 15A voltage regulator maintaining 119.9 - 120v at all times. This is the Monster AVS2000, the one unqualifiedly excellent bit of gear Monster ever offered. These are no longer offered by Monster nor available from the Asian OEM in the USA. I have two in place. One is on its 16th year. Another blew up last year making it to 15 years of service. I found a serviced replacement for pennies on the dollar just last week. I regulate voltage because my AC runs hot up to 127v. When I moved into this neighborhood, there were still some old transformers on poles and I had swings of 109 - 127v. One by one, those old transformers blew up and LA-DWP replaced them. Now the sags are gone but the +7v at night prevails. The output from the VR is the system power feed. VR capacity is much higher than consumption requirements.

2/ The front end grouping has a ~4.2A transformer that can be run in either isolation or as balanced power, but not both. The differences are subtle. I have a DAC for which I slightly prefer BAL and a phono front end for which I slightly prefer ISO. On the system with an active preamp, I run BAL for pre and DAC and phono. Current capacity is much higher than consumption requirements.

3/ Bob Hovland has designed a low power isolation transformer that he has custom wound to order. It is balanced power and isolating, designed to operate close to the xformer's saturation point. He found that doing this makes most amplifiers plugged into it "more relaxed," musically. Not lazy, just fluid and nuanced. He's right. It's not a dramatic effect, but it is beneficial. Also quiet. This isolation / bal pwr xformer is rated and fused for up to 2.5A and is good for 4A peaks. So if you know your steady state is generally under 2.5A and you are getting brief peaks up to 4A, you can fuse it accordingly. I run one of Bob's iso/ bal xformers per monoblock amp. Each xformer is a simple, small, deceptively heavy black box. My tube amps are under the consumption limits, and these iso / bal xformers will also support my reserve m2tech Crosby monoblocks which can shove up to ~300w clean into 6 ohms Zu Def4.

The aggregate cost per system is around the cost of a Power Plant, but I found it sonically more effective to break isolation down to smaller bricks, on a low-consumption / high-efficiency system.

Phil

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing