Issue with Avantgarde Acoustic DUO XD >>> Power amplifier getting super hot after 5mins of usage

FredJ

Jul 26, 2024
Berlin, Germany
Hi all,

first of all I have to mention that I love the whatsbestforum! A lot of helpful information been discussed amongst people who share the same lovely hobby :)

Why I am reaching out (issue): I received my DUO XDs last night and installed them right away. They look great and also sound was good from the start! After listening for approx. 1hour we were about to leave and come back later, so I was switching off the gear. Surprisingly I recognized then that my stereo power amplifier Burmester 911 MK3 was freaking hot!!! :oops: Until then nothing was recognizable, it was playing fine and It did not switch off or anything like that.

Which gave me a little shock honestly and never ever happened before, while previously, I was driving it much heavier with bigger volume with my other pair of speakers (89db efficiency 3-way ETON chassis treble ER4 + mid 7inch + bass 11 inch). The maximum there was a bit of casual little warmth after 4-5hours of continuous listening...

Later same night, I plugged in my other speakers again and the 911MK3 it was playing fine w/o any temperature - kind of business as usual.

I tried another time to run the DUO XDs (connected as per manual means preamp > power amp > via speaker cables to mid range input > via jumper cablse to sub/treble inputs) and the 911 MK3 started getting hot again immediately after ~5mins!! :eek:

I am puzzled honestly as I connected everything as it is explained in the manual from Avantgarde as well as Burmester - see attached pictures. Also the DUO XDs should not demand any relevant power from the power amplifier as they have the active Bass Modules and the external amplifier only needs to drive the Mid/ Treble as far as I understand.

Has anyone a clue or idea why this happens and the 911 MK3 is getting hot after 4-5mins?

What's happening? Thanks a lot in advance for any helpful guidance here everyone!!

Kind regards and a great start into the weekend everyone,
Frederik

Avantgarde DUO XD Connection Diagram.PNG

Burmester 911 MK3 Connection Diagram.PNG

Strange! It shouldn’t happen. I have been running my 911s for over 15 years. They do occasionally require rebiasing when they run hotter than usual. The newer power amps like 226/218 don’t need this.
The only other occasion my amps ran hot was when I was passive biamping them using the jumpers.
Get the amp checked please. How old is it? The 911 is an ultra reliable amp

Thanks Sujay!

The 911 MK3 has been manufactured 2018. And it l‘s running fine right now again for already 1.5h again with my other speakers.

Thea‘s why I am 100% sure its nothing about the 911 but within the circuit/ connection with the DUOs…

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu