It's time to go, see ya later.

For a "can't get it anywhere else" ice cream treat, try Three Sisters Cafe in Providence, RI. It used to be called Maxmillians, it still uses the recipes and the ice cream making gear that have been available there for decades. Decadent super-rich ice cream. Well worth it, if you are ever in PVD.

Well, Vienna, Budapest, Prague are all on my bucket list. Anybody have an ice cream in Prague?

We have been fortunate to have visited all 3 in the last 2 years. Loved them all but in 20 years Budapest will be one of the too 2 or 3 destinations in all of Europe. That city has an incredible amount of potential as they continue to dig out of the remnants of Soviet era decay. I can' t wait to get back to those baths. I felt 10 years younger after 4 hours in them.

While I don't agree with Peter's method of leaving, I understand the motivation.

A reviewer needs an extremely thick skin, but even then some barbs burrow deep. Taken individually, we audiophiles are generally a friendly, fair-minded, level-headed lot, albeit with tendency toward exactitude. As a collective, however, we can exhibit four-M behaviour: Malcontented Middle-Aged Male Misanthropes. That tendency toward exactitude swiftly turns captious and judgmental, especially when hiding behind a keyboard.

For my own part, there are a number of 'off limits' forums that I refuse to visit, because I don't think I deserve to die in a fire simply for holding down my job. Worse, in such places, you have no comeback, no right to object publicly. You are at best court jester, but more often a convenient combination of whipping boy and prick magnet.

Psychologically speaking, there is only so much of this a person can take before you either skulk off, storm out, or suck a tailpipe. How much one can take varies, but if Peter's departure is angry and bitter, perhaps it is time to reflect why he should feel so angry and bitter to effectively suicide himself like this.

There does seem to have been something of a change in direction here. This was a friendly forum of high-end debate and discussion, but now it seems to be increasingly littered with agenda-filled ranting. If the forum continues down this all-too-predictable story arc, it will end with four people holding two conflicting and extremely polarised views arguing with one another at every juncture. This is at first entertaining, but ultimately extremely frustrating for other members and it lets the air out of the tyres of the forum. Eventually, even the combatants tire of the combat, or more accurately move on to another forum with a bigger audience and do the same thing again, like a plague of locusts.

Late to the party here but totally agree.
Sadly though I think a fair few will miss the point you present about reflecting on what caused him to lose it (which I feel is very unfortunate it happened as it did and hard to ignore his indiscretion due to the content of that post), how many of us keep an eye on our actions-words on the internet and forums; I know this is something I have failed in the past myself on here and so do many others - thankfully not as bad as a few other sites that come to mind though.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:
Guests ,Relatives and Fish smell after three days--sorta like this thread

Bin it now its frankly become embarrassing :mad:

BruceD

Exactly the kind of behavior we've come to expect daily from the inmates at Audio Asylum. Let's all pile on Peter. You all should be ashamed of your posts as should Amir who carried on endlessly in that still ongoing thread and was the straw that broke the camel's back. To what point? To be the last one to post and win??? Sorry in my book, that was conduct unbecoming one of the co-founders of the forum (as I've been reminded on occasion) and should have been taken offline early on. At one time there was more of a community here who might have thought - save for a handful here in this thread - for more than a second about what might have upset Peter so much to leave. That's apparently is not the case as the Wild, Wild West of the Internet has apparently sadly too taken over WBF and the negativity factor here is off the charts.

And let me pre-empt the usual rebuttals. Yes I'm actually proud to call myself Peter's friend. He selflessly promotes the industry's image and there's no one that works harder. If you don't think so, try editing 60 or more videos after a show, reviews and running the site. But make no mistake: I am not Peter even though I write for him -as well as PF-as well as many other mags in the past. No this is about the corruption of the founder's intent and what has caused many others to leave who would have really contributed to this forum. I think some people should give real pause to their responses.

Let me finish wish a note that I received from someone who long ago left this board after being similarly bullied like Peter and was astonished by the treatment Peter received.

I feel bad for the guy. For all he's done for the hobby and to be bullied and treated like that? I like Peter and his thoughts and opinions. And who has been to more shows in the past 5 years? Who has advanced the hobby with AMAZING video coverage? VIDEO being the key word. He takes us on his journey to every show. I watch and listen to all his videos. Show reports are always great too.
Oh, and send him a PM asking his opinion on X speakers or amps and you ALWAYS get a response.

one of the best things i have heard you write ... oh i kid ... i actually really enjoy your reviews. i really do!

but yes, peter has helped me and im a stranger, he actually phoned me and we spoke for about an hour just to make sure i had additional detail and the appropriate guidance on what i am trying to achieve with my YGs.

there are few brick and mortar stores where i live and accurate objective reviews are crucial for me to build a first rate system. you can tell he has a deep love for the hobby and there are very few people who will give you truly "objective" advice. most will give you advice as far as their product line goes. but its a business so i understand that to some extent.

dont know why and dont care much as to what was the final straw but this forum will not be as good without him but that is just me.

..damn, we had nearly turned the corner..sigh :rolleyes:

..damn, we had nearly turned the corner..sigh :rolleyes:

Great ice cream in Prague or not, Prague would get my vote for the most beautiful city that I know. Other favorites, though not necessarily only because of beauty, would be Amsterdam, Assisi, Berlin, NYC and San Francisco. Oh, and throw Budapest and Brugge into the bunch as well.

Guilt by association? Really?

That Peter suicided himself here is not in question. That he did so in an infantile manner is neither acceptable or forgivable. That he did this on the back of some high-handed and ill-conceived posts only makes matters worse.

And yet, that it elicits a similarly childish response is beneath a forum of the supposed quality of WBF. Whatever happened to "I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it?" and why did it get replaced by "ooh, an angry mob, I'll just get my pitchfork!"

What happened to "I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it," is Peter got personal, and overtly insulting, right out of the gate. YMMV, but personally, I will not defend his right to attack and insult those who disagree with him.

Tim

I don't really want to read the 5 pages that were added to this thread while I went out and watched Inside Out, but I'll say this. I've said it before, but it bears repeating -- WBF is the only audiophile forum I know of where doe-eyed subjectivists are tolerated and allowed to discuss their POVs without closed threads, right next to fire-breathing objectivists. If someone, anyone, here, wants a forum where disagreement with objectivism is not tolerated, I recommend Hydrogen Audio. If, on the other hand, you prefer a place where high-end conventional wisdom will not be substantively challenged without moderator interference....well, that's most of them. Go there. Be happily unchallenged. Don't screw this up. Please.

Tim

Last edited:
I don't like ice cream with goo and crap on it.

I like it plain and simple. Some chocolate chips or nuts is OK, but I can do without the goo.

I will say it is a mighty colorful photo. :p

For me there is no one best flavor, no one best forum, no one best woman, ...it's the sum of all parts...all flavors, all colors, all ice creams, all forums, all people, all women.

And the best place to be is inside me. :b ...I'm a cello, I'm a piano, I'm a trumpet, I'm a gorgeous looking free woman. ...I'm everything that I want to be, even an audio expert in my own right, but a music passionate first, I live inside the music, not outside.

And I want everyone to be happy, even when they're not...because life's just too short to not enjoy and be free and respect everyone, even the ones we don't specially like (not talking about here, but in real life about the people who committed crimes against humanity, and against me; no respect, no love, not humans though).

Peter is a good guy, with a good heart...he just got badly influenced and made a public mistake...that's all...not the end of the world...and still fixable. ...He has all the power to fix his mistake.
If he can do that I can forgive him. ...And DaveyF's heart might be patched up a little, and Mike can invite us all to his home for a barbecue in a music festive.

What's the Best? The best is inside each one of us first; how we interact and treat one another. ...Then the music peacefully flows behind and ahead.

Last edited:
Great ice cream in Prague or not, Prague would get my vote for the most beautiful city that I know. Other favorites, though not necessarily only because of beauty, would be Amsterdam, Assisi, Berlin, NYC and San Francisco. Oh, and throw Budapest and Brugge into the bunch as well.

My 2 favorites outside of Philly of course are London and Istanbul. Hope to live in London one day.

Paris, Florence and Budapest top my list. Then are also the historical cities of Andalucia (Seville, Cordoba), and the majestic nordic cities like Stockholm, gems of the orient like Istanbul. Also love Cairo.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu