JackD201 - Almost Done

Jack

Bummed out for you. Hope all is well with you and your family.

I guess the '9s had to be moved, but I'm sure this wasn't the way you planned.

Rodney

All good Rodney, thanks!

Rolled with the punches. It took me a couple of days before I could put a more positive spin on things. Now I'm actually excited at the prospect of rebuilding. I've missed the team. We've all been busy with other things. Intersecting on projects but never the whole gang. There were a couple of things that I wanted to change but were too small in the scheme of things for a do-over. I'll get to do address those now.

Jack,

Very sorry to hear of this. I hope you (and the country) bounce back quick!

The region appears to be bouncing back well. We were more prepared for this than the last big one shown in dimfer's post. The term "new normal" is being used to death but it appears this is it. This is payback for decades of environmental abuse.

Jack,so sorry to see such misery,but you and your countryman will come back stronger than ever,good fortune going forward and be positive always.

Roger

Jack,

I'm sorry to read what happened to your basement. I am certain that you will build an even better room and perhaps add a system to control the power source. Once my music room is done, you can come over as often as you like.

Back to the Drawing Board

We've just been hit by the most rainfall on record and water has gotten into the listening room

http://news.yahoo.com/floods-cover-more-half-philippine-capital-040620635.html

Everything has been disconnected and eventually almost everything must come down. I am bummed but what I am going through is nothing more than an inconvenience compared to what millions of my countrymen are suffering.

We pride ourselves in our ability to bounce back, smiles on our faces. In a few months I hope to reseal the room with better engineered solutions and get the system singing again. In the meantime please join me in praying for those affected by the deluge.

Jack-I don't know I missed this when you originally posted this, but I did. I'm glad to know your family is ok and with a much further secondary, your actual gear is ok. I know what a bummer it is to have your room flooded as it happened to me several years ago in my listening room. Every time I hear about another flood in the PI I always think about you and your family and hope you are ok and usually you never mention anything about what has happened. You have been very lucky until this happened. I'm sure your room will emerge better than ever which is hard to imagine because it was already super-cool looking.

Jack,

I'm sorry to read what happened to your basement. I am certain that you will build an even better room and perhaps add a system to control the power source. Once my music room is done, you can come over as often as you like.

I'll surely take you up on that Sam! Have you been traveling a lot? I haven't seen you in ages!

Jack-I don't know I missed this when you originally posted this, but I did. I'm glad to know your family is ok and with a much further secondary, your actual gear is ok. I know what a bummer it is to have your room flooded as it happened to me several years ago in my listening room. Every time I hear about another flood in the PI I always think about you and your family and hope you are ok and usually you never mention anything about what has happened. You have been very lucky until this happened. I'm sure your room will emerge better than ever which is hard to imagine because it was already super-cool looking.

First inspection looks promising scope of work might not be as huge as we expected. Fingers crossed! Thanks buddy!

Hi Jack,

I am returning today. I have not been doing too much travelling but golf and the renovations have been taking up most of my time. I will let you know once my new listening room is up.

First inspection looks promising scope of work might not be as huge as we expected. Fingers crossed! Thanks buddy!

The upside of it all is that you might be able to make Listening Room v.1.2! :)

Hi Myles,

I just met the ID and we decided that since the Bronze 9s will be replaced with Gloss Black 11s the palette will be adjusted accordingly. The 11s are capable of moving twice as much air with a quad of 15" 1kW powered subs so Mike, my acoustician will be making adjustments to the design as well. I initially had a bass lift for the RT curve. No need for that now so we will flatten it out some. How much is still to be determined. These won't be so apparent since bass trapping is built in to various surfaces. The layout will look pretty much identical. My preference is to mimic recording spaces rather than control rooms for recreational listening. I'm not fond of rooms that are very damped. I like me some room interaction. :)

What I did want was to lighten up the room. Basically make it feel more open since Roy Hibbert sized speakers will be coming in. That means reversing the light/dark relationship of the treatments and double walls. The folks at Guilford will be happy.

The major "v1.2" will be in the power. Isolation transformers from the dedicated panel board are in order. I'm going with ITs used for delicate security printing machines. Nothing fancy.

Finishing is set to begin next week FINALLY! All the heavy construction is done.

This is what's been keeping me company lately while I wait

eae3_zpsce8527d4.jpg

Endeavor E-3s powered by an Aesthetix Atlas Signature (stock 6sn7s)

Wow Jack. I just saw this. I did not realize you were effected by this rain. I know all to well about flooding as I was going through my showroom in a canoe when we had the worst flooding in history here in upstate New York with 14 feet of water in my building.
I know what you're going through an glad to here you are rebuilding. I didn't go back to my building as it was the second time in 5 years this happened to us. Can't do it again.
Chin up buddy. You will have to start a new thread for the me showroom.

Hey Bill, Thanks! By the way, I got to experience your uber stage as presented by Chino R. NICE!

I estimate 2 weeks to go before the rebuild is totally finished. The room is looking and sounding good.

I didn't have the acoustic specs changed much but I kind of went to town with the lighting since all this provided me the opportunity to do so. I had my four Martin Alien 5s color changers (8 dichroic filters) refurbished and replaced the Halogens with LED. I'll be adding 4 more up front. I also added LED rope lighting in the lower perimeter and 2 RGB lasers from Laserworld Switzerland. I'm putting all under full DMX control with capability for auto and preprogrammed scenes. The bar will be changed from yellow onyx to white onyx too so out with the T5s and RGB color changing behind that too.

I'm also changing the posts of my racks from silver to black anodized aluminum because I went from bronze wallpaper to silver.

On the audio end I've ordered 2 Shunyata Cyclops' and am waiting for the Da Vinci Dual.

Thanks Tim!

Tick Tock, Tick Tock.

Half of the new FR701 fabric went up today. Poor guys were freezing down there since it has to be cold, cold cold when you frame up fabric lest it sag later on.

Tomorrow the RJ control cables for the lighting. Next week, the new bar, general cleaning and hopefully SYSTEM SET UP!

Thanks Tim!

Tick Tock, Tick Tock.

Half of the new FR701 fabric went up today. Poor guys were freezing down there since it has to be cold, cold cold when you frame up fabric lest it sag later on.

Tomorrow the RJ control cables for the lighting. Next week, the new bar, general cleaning and hopefully SYSTEM SET UP!

Take videos this time :) Including the tuning. That would be really cool!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing