Jbl 4367

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
I'll take a swipe at defining an audiophile by comparing an audiophile with a "music lover" in the words of Joe.

The audiophile is mostly concerned with finding recordings which sound great to him/her in the playback chain.

The music lover is mostly concerned with finding a playback system which can make their favorite music sound great.

Therefore the music lover is flexible and can adapt to the music. The audiophile must be willing to accommodate their musical preferences so that their system can sound its best. This is why the audiophile is often very restrictive with the genres, formats or even mediums of music with which he/she is willing to connect.

The music lover puts music above all else. The music lover can ignore the prideful tendency to place the gear above the music no matter the subjective financial costs, appearance or non-conformity with the hyperbolic and hysterical marketing tactics in the playback marketplace.

Michael.

that makes sense now. i need to check out these jbl's. i know you had yg's as well like me so i bet i would like these a lot.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Michael,

Thank you so much for posting this. This is EXACTLY how I meant it but don't always have the flair for words. Some of the music that I love is not the best recorded or highest quality recording but it makes me happy and/or feel good. The JBL's excel with great recordings but play well with the lesser recordings too. They crank and are easy on the ears. Home run!

I'll take a swipe at defining an audiophile by comparing an audiophile with a "music lover" in the words of Joe.

The audiophile is mostly concerned with finding recordings which sound great to him/her in the playback chain.

The music lover is mostly concerned with finding a playback system which can make their favorite music sound great.

Therefore the music lover is flexible and can adapt to the music. The audiophile must be willing to accommodate their musical preferences so that their system can sound its best. This is why the audiophile is often very restrictive with the genres, formats or even mediums of music with which he/she is willing to connect.

The music lover puts music above all else. The music lover can ignore the prideful tendency to place the gear above the music no matter the subjective financial costs, appearance or non-conformity with the hyperbolic and hysterical marketing tactics in the playback marketplace.

Michael.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Michael.

I will not debate the JBLs as I have no experience with them and only read excellent reviews on them, but I strongly disagree on your audiophile definition.

Most audiophiles I know about are mostly concerned about optimizing the playback of their favorite type of music. It all starts with the music they enjoy. It is why they have typed preferences and the audiophiles have such a broad spectra of preferences. IMHO the stereotype of the audiophile owning and listening to only to an half dozen of audiophile recordings is the exception, not the rule. But is is always easy to particularize on a few to mock on an whole category. I also do not understand why a music lover must be flexible and adapt on the music.

IMHO, most and the best audiophiles are music lovers and a few music lovers are audiophiles. A proper audiophile system will make more recordings sound good. It will probably open doors to new types of music to their owners.

It is curious that some people refer to "audiophile recordings" in abstract as it was something suspicious. But 99.99% of the times when this "category" has a defined title and artist on it most people will praise the great quality of the interpretation and music, as well as the quality of the recording.

BTW I am restrictive on the concerts I go, where do I fit? :confused:

Last edited:

Max432

Apr 28, 2016
what do you mean when you say you don't know if 'true audiophiles' will appreciate?

glad you enjoy them so much ... that is what this thing is all about.

Most audiophiles I know are looking for nuances in the music...critical listening for width of sound stage, depth of sound stage, etc. they want to transport themselves to the recording studio and imagine how the tracks were put down. One of the goals being the ability to identify musical information that the average listener misses or that lower priced equipment can't reproduce.

On the other hand what I want is a system that makes me pull out my air guitar for classic rock, relive concerts I attended, make love all night to smooth jazz, and expand my horizons by wanting to listen to new and different kinds of music than what I am used to. The JBL 4367's do this in spades! Hope that helps.

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
Most audiophiles I know are looking for nuances in the music...critical listening for width of sound stage, depth of sound stage, etc. they want to transport themselves to the recording studio and imagine how the tracks were put down. One of the goals being the ability to identify musical information that the average listener misses or that lower priced equipment can't reproduce.

On the other hand what I want is a system that makes me pull out my air guitar for classic rock, relive concerts I attended, make love all night to smooth jazz, and expand my horizons by wanting to listen to new and different kinds of music than what I am used to. The JBL 4367's do this in spades! Hope that helps.

to much info man.

Mctwins

Feb 1, 2013
Just want to say Congrats to you all to your new JBL 4367. I have never listening prior purchase and this goes for all of my speakers. JBL 4319, 4429, 4365 and PRX635 with 618S-XLF and ALL sounds good!!

:)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Does anyone know where I can find the curve of the impedance of the JBL 4367 versus frequency? Thanks.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It looks like a very good candidate for an OTL amplifier ... Interesting.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
It looks like a very good candidate for an OTL amplifier ... Interesting.

I haven't tried toobs. But I've tried the following so far:
Dartzeel 108
Mola Kaluga
Audionet Max
Luxman 700u

My favorite so far is the Luxman. I will soon have the Luxman 900u.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dartzeel 108
Mola Kaluga
Audionet Max
Luxman 700u

Interesting. One of the best SS amps I know. Thought it was better than the Ypsilon Aelius hybrids in a direct A/B on Vivid G1. Joel, whose place I tried them at, slightly prefers it the other way.

That was the M800, bridged. M900 has even more power. They are full, rich, great tone. Big fan. The 700 is not supposed to be as good as the 800s or 900s which are considered much better, though never compared. I have also heard the B1000 at Philip's

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
If you are playing with different amps to drive them, I would give the PS audio BHK300 monos a whirl at some point.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I've tried the following:

Nord One Up w/ Sparkos op amp
Accuphase A-36
Ayre KX-5/20
McIntosh MC-75 new reissue monos

Next up will be CJ ART monos, Jolida 3502 w/ KT-150's and Bryston 28BSST2's.

I have to say each has their own strength but the "toobs" sound best to me. Depth increases exponentially with more air and separation. These are the smoothest, most fun speaker that I've heard. The MC-75 monos have been my favorite so far, but I suspect that the ART monos will kill all easily.

As much as I want to get away from tubes, I love their sound best.

Dartzeel 108
Mola Kaluga
Audionet Max
Luxman 700u

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

Michael.

I somewhat agree. To me it's as simple as:

The audiophile's primary objective is fidelity irrespective of music type preference.
The music lover's primary objective is enjoyable music irrespective of fidelity (not of considerable concern).

Both enjoy music, both enjoy fidelity each prioritizes differently.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing