Joe’s Reference System

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
37E769FA-8DC0-4D0D-8E3F-A9748B9583C9.jpeg
36ADE371-04E1-436F-B1AB-95AE2D152AE4.jpeg

General Comments:

The new system is still breaking in. It it is already musical and engaging. The sound stage - height, length, width and depth - is huge and detailed, yet smooth and emotionally warm and musical. Life-like! We’re just enjoying and relaxing in the music. We’re content as we continue to get lost in every distinct but musical note. The sound simply cloaks you in what seems to be a venue-like experience. A song seems to no longer be just a song, but rather an exhilarating experience.

The System:

Speakers
:

Magico M3s w/ MPODs

Amps:

Pass Labs X260.8s

Pre-Amp:

EMM Labs PRE

Phono:

J. Sikora Standard Max Turntable
Tonearms: 2 x J. Sikora KV12 Kevlar Tonearms
Carts: Airtight Opus1 and MSL Platinum Signature
Phono Stage: VAC Renaissance

Digital:

EMM Labs DA2 V2 (DAC)
EMM TX2 Transport (SACD / CD)
Aurender N30SA (Streamer)
Aurender ACS10 (CD Ripper)

Power Conditioner:

Shunyata Everest w/SSF Feet

Cables:

Shunyata Sigma, Alpha and Aural Symphonics Optimism Fiber Optic

Cable Elevators:

Shunyata DF-SS

Electrical:

3 x Dedicated Circuits (10g) with Shunayta SR-Z1 Outlets

Equipment Rack:

Adona Reference, 2 x Custom Eric’s C3s and 2 x Zero GR1 Amp Stands

In Conclusion:

The music, the music, the music. Ultimately, that’s what it’s all about. We’re content in our own little venue-like utopia of sound and musicality.

Our Dealer:

Tony Barnette
Ellington HiFi
https://www.ellingtonhifi.com

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Some other pics

2E02FA4E-6FC9-4AAE-B105-CDA85E12C984.jpeg

8D3E20C3-5E37-47DC-982A-9BA4D5C3B922.jpeg D144FA1B-317F-4B60-808A-7F85EDC272CE.jpeg 45B00A30-EAE2-4ADF-9854-22EB72085CD4.jpeg FDBE68DC-F7F4-4FE3-ABF4-C247CD74478A.jpeg BF2AAC08-FEF3-4133-8818-E795CD41AE7E.jpeg

Thomas 911

Dec 2, 2021
Germany
congrtulation!
, well arranged, ...high esthetik look , the eyes hears too..
.... eyecatcher at night .. you always in a good mood when listening , not to underestimate..
regards from germany..
thomas

Reactions: Audire

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Joe! It all looks beautiful!

Enjoy!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Especially since each cartridge is on the same model of tonearm and on the same turntable I would love to hear a very detailed comparison of the Opus 1 and the MSL at your leisure.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Especially since each cartridge is on the same model of tonearm and on the same turntable I would love to hear a very detailed comparison of the Opus 1 and the MSL at your leisure.

I'm just getting into TT's again, so, that may be beyond my capabilities to do in a detailed way at present. As Clint says, a man got to know his limitations. You can come over to listen if you don't mind a road trip - we're near Destin, FL. :)

But I can try - Their sound signatures are close, but very distinct IMO. My wife and I are partial to the Opus1 overall. IMO, it is quieter and more transparent. It also sounds more refined. The dynamics are incredible. Black backgrounds. Amazing resolution and attack.

IMO the MSL does all things exceptionally well, but the Opus is just a slight notch above. On soft rock I'm partial to the MSL. It seems louder. But on everything else - jazz, female vocals, and classical (which I've only recently began listening to) we enjoy the Opus1

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Your system looks beautiful :cool:
But don't you get an imbalance because of the left speaker being rather close to the sidewall and fully "covered" by the back wall, while the right speaker is fully open to the side and almost half open to the back?
IME a symmetrical setup of the speakers is paramount.
Would relocating the speakers to the left wall enable a symmetrical setup?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Your system looks beautiful :cool:
But don't you get an imbalance because of the left speaker being rather close to the sidewall and fully "covered" by the back wall, while the right speaker is fully open to the side and almost half open to the back?
IME a symmetrical setup of the speakers is paramount.
Would relocating the speakers to the left wall enable a symmetrical setup?

Yes, the difficulties of a Great Room. This is the best possible setup in this room. Even with this limitation the sound stage is still tremendous. I don’t know how it’s being done, but it sounds like there is no walls or ceiling… just music.

I have a huge back porch that’s I’m getting estimates on to enclose and make a dedicated audio room. This is probably a year or so away, but when finished, I’ll end up with some M6s and Q Subs as well. It’s plenty large enough.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Yes, the difficulties of a Great Room. This is the best possible setup in this room. Even with this limitation the sound stage is still tremendous. I don’t know how it’s being done, but it sounds like there is no walls or ceiling… just music.

I have a huge back porch that’s I’m getting estimates on to enclose and make a dedicated audio room. This is probably a year or so away, but when finished, I’ll end up with some M6s and Q Subs as well. It’s plenty large enough.
Glad you get satisfactory sound despite of the asymmetry of the setting :cool:
Nice prospects :D:cool:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
What is powered by the Everest and what by the wall. Thanks
Rex

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
What is powered by the Everest and what by the wall. Thanks
Rex

The amps are plugged directly into the wall. Everything else is plugged into the Everest. Each is on a dedicated circuit - same phase. The outlets are Shunyata SR-Z1. 10 gauge …

There are some repeaters for my EMM remote control plugged into a regular outlet, near the Everest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Live Analog

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
It’s a great honor, as the system is now appearing in Mono & Stereo

C5E38662-F050-42D1-B96A-7CB9F022D0D4.jpeg

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
What is your floor made of? Do you think you get any floor bounce?
Beautiful system.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
What is your floor made of? Do you think you get any floor bounce?
Beautiful system.

Many Thanks. We have wood floors, but have space rugs. No floor bounce whatsoever ever. We now have Vitus Amps as well. The speakers are 320 lbs apiece and the amps nearly 200 it’s apiece. No floor issues.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It goes without saying they are beautiful. I thought they might be marble or something. Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing