KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

Ratbastrd

Feb 23, 2017
I'm curious if the QLN prestige line have been auditioned or written up here, can't find much on them.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith, have you heard any of the JBL speakers like K2, Everest, etc?
I've heard them, just not in optimal circumstances. The K2 on full Levinson gear at the LAAS sounded very hifi/incoherent to me. The Everest on all custom tube gear the following year was bright. And the K2 in NYC last year at the Harman store had a listening position that was next to stairs with glass behind it and the speakers were elevated 1' on a riser of sorts- no thanks.

JBL is very difficult to demo here, despite the Northridge office which has been closed since COVID, as most dealers are HT oriented. I can hear Classic 100s all day long locally, but 4367 and K2/Everest are elusive and not stocked by hifi stores. If I take a trip to Northridge (10 mins) in 2021, I will definitely update this thread- they have all of the above.

Reactions: Folsom and PeterA

Ratbastrd

Feb 23, 2017
Happy Holidays - and thanks for reading. I think the $10k-$15k speaker budget can be frustrating in audio as the options are more limited. I ran into this issue a few years ago.

That said, Devore, Harbeth, Vandy, Spendor, Magico A series, Dynaudio Confidence are the normal recommendations in this space - I prefer the Devore Gibbons. There are a number of great integrateds to pair a set with once you decide. Preferably Class A/B (tube or SS) with good bass control.

Fyne Audio, which I hope to hear in January, also has good options in this price range (the 7-series) but I can't comment on the brand quite yet.
@KeithR have you listened to the QLN Signature or Salk SS series? They both seem to stem from a similar lineage as the Harbeth, Spendor and Devore speakers. Curious if you have thoughts on this or am I inferring more to the lineage then is there.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Please tell :) I don't think I recall reading or seeing an XVX post of yours.
That's because it's a reviewer friend of mine and doesn't impact the subject of this thread. I can say after hearing them I wouldn't shell out $330k for *any* speaker. That's just me though. I believe this hobby's gone the entirely wrong direction as I've stated many times on this forum.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
For some quarantine fun, I've received a set of Beyerdynamic DT 1990 headphones and have a pair of Sennheiser HD660S on order. I've owned Grados for 20 years, the 225 most recently. Will see if stepping up to the ~$500 range is worth it or not.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
The Horning Hybrid Aristotle PM65 is a horn loaded loudspeaker with a traditional appearance. The Wolf von Langa SON is a bit more aesthetically unique but is easy to integrate into most living spaces due to its size. Available in a beautiful high gloss bamboo finish if you prefer the wood aesthetic. Both are top of class for that budget range, imo.
Gestalt,
Have you tried the Lamm SET's on the WVL SON's?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
That's because it's a reviewer friend of mine and doesn't impact the subject of this thread. I can say after hearing them I wouldn't shell out $330k for *any* speaker. That's just me though. I believe this hobby's gone the entirely wrong direction as I've stated many times on this forum.
It's hard to argue against a manufacturer producing a luxury product if there is a demand. The problem (if there is one) comes when such a product is presented as SOTA and a benchmark for others to aspire to. To use an (overused) automobile analogy, the fact that there are luxury sedans, SUVs and sports cars that cost many hundreds of thousands of dollars doesn't necessarily make them the "best" or even a vehicle you or I would want to own and drive.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Happy New Year, all!

After various talks with different people, and in light of the brand not having west coast distribution, probably won't be hearing Verity this year.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
We're still waiting for some custom tooling needed for the enclosure build, and based on timeframe estimates we're probably looking at February or March for the full-up speaker. The demo version will be ready before then. It will be in a smaller, lighter, more durable, and easily touch-up-able enclosure, to reduce everybody's risk.
It sounds like it is well worth the wait.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm assuming 11...not 13 Lol.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing