KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Goebel Speakers w/ ARC and Wadax-

Finally got to hear this relative newcomer to the upper echelon speaker tier. They are fairly imposing in person, with exceptional build quality. I was there mid day Friday, can't say I got a good handle on the sound. Elliott looked dead tired from the setup delay and I heard it got better over the weekend. The speakers had nice tone, but on more complicated music things didn't stay together. The sound jwasn't locked in and presumably because the room with all glass on two sides created issues. (so the speakers were toed-in to help). I'd like to hear them again in a more controlled environment.

290BE48A-60DC-4D98-AE69-99B508D46379.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph and Al M.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Stenheim Ultime 2 with VTL-

This system was in a large, cut off ballroom downstairs and featured some kind of acoustic treatment I believe (there was a sample panel over to the side). Out of all the big room systems, this may have sounded the best and very good in the sweet spot towards the front! There was a lovely tonality to vocals, Bea Lam also played some terrific unobtanium vinyl and not the standard issue Linda Ronstadt. Bass actually wasn't as bad as I expected in such a large room and the speakers sounded more dynamic than the little brothers upstairs (that I'll get to). The one criticism I felt was a small lack of transparency/realness. There was more this system was capable of, but bravo to getting any kind of decent sound in these ballrooms.

CEA11399-761E-4CC5-90B1-23AA087AECAB.jpeg

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Joseph Audio Pearl Graphenes-

I haven't heard a JA system in several years, and can't say the sound has changed much (a good thing). Good tone, PRAT, etc. on the Doshi tubed electronics. I was a little off center on this one but this room also used room treatment to "cut off the room" to good effect- there were panels on either side of the seating position area. The Pearl is an underrated speaker at it's price point (<40k) and just plays music without being over analytical. The big J Sikora table was being used for the entire time and looked great in person. I wish I could have returned and spent more time here but as with everything Axpona this year, time was limited!

9601EC79-A482-4364-B00D-9F48BECE0477.jpeg

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Gorgeous photos!

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Goebel Speakers w/ ARC and Wadax-

Finally got to hear this relative newcomer to the upper echelon speaker tier. They are fairly imposing in person, with exceptional build quality. I was there mid day Friday, can't say I got a good handle on the sound. Elliott looked dead tired from the setup delay and I heard it got better over the weekend. The speakers had nice tone, but on more complicated music things didn't stay together. The sound jwasn't locked in and presumably because the room with all glass on two sides created issues. (so the speakers were toed-in to help). I'd like to hear them again in a more controlled environment.

View attachment 108536

That's an ugly looking room for audio!!!

Not just the glass but the lack of symmetry.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Nice photos, Keith!

Reactions: jeff1225

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Sorry for the delay guys:

Acora/Vac- I was very curious/excited to hear these SOTA granite speakers! Unfortunately the setup was in a cavern and the listening position around 50' from the speakers, which were themselves set back towards the wall. I heard they moved seating up later in the show. But overall, I couldn't get anything from this setup except some ok tonality. I did get to meet Andre Jennings next to me however! He was kind and helped me move a seat.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Dali in the foyer- they were just rocking hip hop and electronica all day for fun. I'm not sure why anyone would put a TOL speaker in that area but that's what it was. An audiophile "lounge" so to speak. But clearly there was no room to hear a darn thing about them.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Diptique panel speakers on Audio Flight electronics- I really didn't get all the fuss about this one. I like panels, but found the power region lacking in this setup. Timbre was more on the thin side. This was an expensive speaker too - $50k as I recall. I'd rather hear them in a much larger room.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Perlisten S7 with Audio Flight integrated- next door to the Dips was the surprise of the show! This setup costs 000s less than most rigs but had a superb holographic sound. The speakers were toed fairly in to avoid room reflections it appeared. But for me in the sweet spot, everything disappeared and had an extremely natural tonality. Bravo!

Reactions: Al M. and Pallen

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Wilson Benesch with Aries Cerat-

I was very excited to hear this pairing - I've never heard AC and it gets a lot of forum buzz. All of their gear is just massive - every piece seemed 100lbs! The speakers I've heard several times at shows before and find them in the neutral camp but easier to drive than comparables. As Michael Fremer came in and they did the dog and pony show for him, I can't say I got a great handle on the sound - but I'll say there was loads of presence, tonality, and liquidity. For me, it was a bit much of the girl hanging in front of me sound but I know a lot of folks that prefer this. And as y'all have heard me preach before - there is no absolute sound. I would enjoy hearing the setup on electronica and other more difficult genres. Too bad the AC speakers weren't at the show as I was looking for more non-Wilson/Magico types and in particular horns.

I'd also add that Robert Do is a super cool dude and great to hang out with! Can't wait to visit someday!

94056B6B-41C3-4B38-8546-AB60CA54B756.jpeg

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Clarisys Audio with Hegel- this room as a special experience. My friend Mike Bovaird put together a fantastic pairing, with quite modest electronics. The Clarisys speakers really have a nice power region unlike other panels I've heard. Maybe a touch less top end then I'm used to but I wasn't quite in the sweet spot. At $33k there is a lot of value here. Michael Fremer dropped a lacquer for us and once again, vinyl was king of the day. It was really great to hear some new speakers outside the cone and dome box! Easily a best of show contender.

0ADD7295-3C7C-46A9-9A58-AA84886642CE.jpeg

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
My friends at LTA had a nice pairing that I'm very familiar with the Innuos server. This was the second PAP speaker I heard at the show and it sounded better than the Pass pairing. I know there are OB folks out there, but I can't say either pairing was my cup of tea. Just not enough gusto. I did get to talk to Mr. PAP, aka Doug Schroeder, in the room for 15 minutes who told me about every conceivable pairing. It's an interesting design that allows a lot of flexibility for that type of audiophile- which unfortunately just isn't me.

7EA0D276-486D-490B-944D-273512BB347F.jpeg

Last edited:

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Thanks Keith. Really appreciate the pics and writeups...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Estelon with Vitus-

The $1M "dream system" as advertised with a paltry $330k of cables (lol). Speakers are absolutely gorgeous in person, fit and finish looks better than the Wilson honestly. The Vitus MP amps are ginormous, more representative of the Krells of the past. As far as the sound? Well, I found it soft. In fact, on a record that I know extremely well there was just no get up and boogie factor. I know that this setup was popular among the audiophile press, but under the covers talking to many people at the show the disappointment was clear. Tonality was decent, but the sound was inside the speakers. I have my suspicions of why it was this way, but I'll just caveat that it's just a system in a large ballroom so who knows what it would sound like under better circumstances. As far as the large systems, the Stenheim/VTL was my favorite despite the room.

4389042A-07D4-4868-81DE-AB48CF05E75B.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing