KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
So the Fynes were not “end game” speakers? Ok… BTW. the new Opus 1 from Cessaro sounded very good in Munich with the Alieno hybrids. Haven’t heard the Wagner but it is similar drivers in a larger backloaded horn design for a lot more money. Opus 1 is some type of vented box.

Keith is younger than many here and seems impressively open minded. I enjoy reading along.

Reactions: KeithR

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Keith is younger than many here and seems impressively open minded. I enjoy reading along.
Never said I minded, Peter. Just didn’t realize he was still eyeing other speakers seriously. Of course we are all eyeing something out there in audio land…

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Never said I minded, Peter. Just didn’t realize he was still eyeing other speakers seriously. Of course we are all eyeing something out there in audio land…

I agree Brad. But I suspect a lot of the searching and auditioning is more about personal curiosity and learning than it is about replacing what one has. That is, until it isn’t.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Indeed seems like a lifetime since Keith's pilgrimage started --the journey makes for keen anticipation and involving reading--long may it reign!;)

Like any sojourn to ways forward -one must learn to avoid the "potholes" in the roadway--seems so far so good--Kudos!

I'd like to have seen a Field Coil ( my personal faves!) in the Mix--ah well sometime maybe !:)

Good Listening,

BruceD

Reactions: christoph

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I agree Brad. But I suspect a lot of the searching and auditioning is more about personal curiosity and learning than it is about replacing what one has. That is, until it isn’t.
That’s right - people enjoy reading my opinions as we approach 4,000 posts. I’m not actively searching for a new loudspeaker but never will say never.

Reactions: christoph

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Some amp musings as the Essence has been here for a few weeks. It’s definitely not a dark Class A amp. In fact, tonally it sounds pretty neutral to me. Gryphon builds up from the bass compared with other amps that could be midrange outward. It really hits hard - seriously hard - with dynamic sound. Sometimes can be overwhelming on the 96db Fynes. The amp has tremendous presence, is deep and like I said before is just a big sound. It also has the resolution matching the Nagra Classic, and does the imaging stuff in spades. The weakness is that on Fyne it’s just too much at times- doesn’t have the organic flow of a Dartzeel but is tonally richer so it still wows you with the details but doesn’t feel optimized yet. You see the bits and pieces but not the painting if that makes sense. What’s strange is the class A creaminess is still there at times like on piano, but then the amp hits you on the head. Won’t say I get fatigued necessarily but can’t really relax for long sessions. So I think a tubed preamp is what this amp needs on Fyne to chill it out! I did try a Melody 6SN7 preamp but the combo was just overly done on the class a smooth/creaminess scale.

To that end, I’m figuring out that Fyne works more like horns matching amps. Tubes and smoother SS need apply. It could be a damping factor thing, don’t know.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
To that end, and because the amps I’ve auditioned lately all seem to want a tube preamp, I’ve ordered a Nagra Classic Pre. Like MSB, this is a destination piece for my system and the time was right. The other good idea was the Vac Master but just didn’t want to step up to that price range. Both Nagra and Vac are tube rollable which I prefer. I also have a Nagra BPS phono that is a great value.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
To that end, and because the amps I’ve auditioned lately all seem to want a tube preamp, I’ve ordered a Nagra Classic Pre. Like MSB, this is a destination piece for my system and the time was right. The other good idea was the Vac Master but just didn’t want to step up to that price range. Both Nagra and Vac are tube rollable which I prefer. I also have a Nagra BPS phono that is a great value.
A friend of mine has the Nagra Classic preamp. We tried it over here in my system. It's good. I can't say if it's great value because it's not cheap.

I still think you owe it to yourself to try some high powered SETs or something unique like the Aries Cerat Essentias or if space is an issue the Aperio.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
A friend of mine has the Nagra Classic preamp. We tried it over here in my system. It's good. I can't say if it's great value because it's not cheap.

I still think you owe it to yourself to try some high powered SETs or something unique like the Aries Cerat Essentias or if space is an issue the Aperio.
Nothing is "cheap" these days. Does he like a particular tube combination or just the stock EHs?

Aries Cerat in this country is like one guy out of Texas. Not easy to hear although I'll check in at Axpona.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Some amp musings as the Essence has been here for a few weeks. It’s definitely not a dark Class A amp. In fact, tonally it sounds pretty neutral to me. Gryphon builds up from the bass compared with other amps that could be midrange outward. It really hits hard - seriously hard - with dynamic sound. Sometimes can be overwhelming on the 96db Fynes. The amp has tremendous presence, is deep and like I said before is just a big sound. It also has the resolution matching the Nagra Classic, and does the imaging stuff in spades. The weakness is that on Fyne it’s just too much at times- doesn’t have the organic flow of a Dartzeel but is tonally richer so it still wows you with the details but doesn’t feel optimized yet. You see the bits and pieces but not the painting if that makes sense. What’s strange is the class A creaminess is still there at times like on piano, but then the amp hits you on the head. Won’t say I get fatigued necessarily but can’t really relax for long sessions. So I think a tubed preamp is what this amp needs on Fyne to chill it out! I did try a Melody 6SN7 preamp but the combo was just overly done on the class a smooth/creaminess scale.

To that end, I’m figuring out that Fyne works more like horns matching amps. Tubes and smoother SS need apply. It could be a damping factor thing, don’t know.
I preferred the SIT3 on the Fynes….but you all know what I think about that amp.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Nothing is "cheap" these days. Does he like a particular tube combination or just the stock EHs?

Aries Cerat in this country is like one guy out of Texas. Not easy to hear although I'll check in at Axpona.
I think he has the stock EH tubes but rolling would probably improve things.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
With Nagra preamp and Gryphon power amp you look all set for YG

• Haha
Reactions: KeithR

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az

There is a guy in the Pasadena area who has Aries Cerat Essentia and Ageto. I could provide his information if so desired.

Reactions: morricab

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
All aboard the Axpona train!

I’ll be focusing on the less common brands like Cessaro, Aries Cerat, Clarisys, Stenheim, Goebel, SF Aida’s, Classic Audio, etc that we don’t see on the west coast show circuit. Maybe even a super Magico since everyone rags me on the brand.

Reactions: picears

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
All aboard the Axpona train!

I’ll be focusing on the less common brands like Cessaro, Aries Cerat, Clarisys, Stenheim, Goebel, SF Aida’s, Classic Audio, etc that we don’t see on the west coast show circuit. Maybe even a super Magico since everyone rags me on the brand.
Any update on the Essence and/or preamp pairing?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hey everyone, Axpona was the best show in a decade hands down! It's a convention, not a hifi show and a mini Munich. The facilities are great, there were 200 rooms + a zillion other audio and live music things to do. Multiple bars, a decent restaurant, and bathrooms on every floor (great idea) made for a well-oiled machine.

In many ways, it was old school vs new school as well- one day I was hanging with my friend Jay from YouTube, seeing him and OCD Mikey take celeb type photos with followers. On another one, Mikey Fremer was playing a lacquer in the Clarisys Audio room (by my dealer and friend Mike Bovaird) that was an intimate wonderful experience.

Can't tell you how many reviewers, audio industry folks just chatted me up in a room after a song. How many times I got to chat for a few minutes with a designer or importer. So much fun - impossible to see everything and in fact I missed 3-4 *entire floors*. That's a convention, folks.

Finally, ANALOG EVERYWHERE! Usually shows are more digital these days but I would say 75% of the rooms were playing records. Whether this was because of the wifi quality I'm not sure but when in doubt, a record usually sounds better in these environments.

With RMAF gone and the rest of shows as more local, smaller affairs - this is what a big US hifi convention is about! Bravo. Anyways, on to the speakers of Axpona!

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Sonus Faber Aida-

I was anxious to hear the big ones due to my excellent classical demo of the Il Cremonese last year. The Aidas are gorgeous, unimposing, and had a nice room. TOTL Boulder 3k preamp/amp, dCS, and a Clearaudio Statement TT (!!).

Spent a half hour in this room, with the full sweet spot, and just thought the music was dry as the desert. Both on digital and analog. It did all of the hifi things well- soundstage, imaging, bass- but wasn't my cup of tea. I will give credit to the large, distinct image in the room that gave some of that "you are there" mystique.

664CBF4E-B4D4-4624-8DB0-B0F12FEE82FD.jpeg

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Not surprised about the dryness. Last year I got to hear the big Wilsons (XVX?) and they sounded horribly thin and dry - nothing like real music, which I attributed to the electronics.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not surprised about the dryness. Last year I got to hear the big Wilsons (XVX?) and they sounded horribly thin and dry - nothing like real music, which I attributed to the electronics.
Hey MadFloyd,

Long time no speak. Hope the system is continuing to sound fantastic. What did you hear with the XVX? I am curious as I have also heard them. My gut tells me extremely good speakers, but it was not a room I knew well, and I would like to hear them in a bigger room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing