KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Since you are on a journey to test amplifiers with Fyne F1-12, you should try Octave amps. I am using octave RE-320 with my F1-12 and stunned by the amp for its price. I got a good synergy here and am very happy with its linear performance. However, my eventual plan will be to get Aries Cerat Ianus essentias. Till then octave is not going anywhere.
I’m not really an Octave fan, but admit to not trying them on the Fynes. Honestly not looking at tube amps at all. My focus has been on Dart, Nagra, WestminsterLabs, etc. Gryphon has eluded me.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The nice feature with Gryphon is the adjustable bias. Class A and AB can give you two different flavors. AB in the summer and A in the winter.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
The Aperio integrated would work great as well…same tech as Essentias.
I was thinking of them, but since I already have incito S preamp, will go with essentias amp. In meanwhile, will let Keith do Keith`s amp trials in this thread. I appreciate his effort or journey to try different amps. Wish I had time or dealers helping with such trials.

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Probably less steep than I thought. In his Stereophile review, the late Wes Phillips said Parasound JC1 mono blocks were a "match made in heaven" with YG Anat II, the current Parasound JC1+ mono blocks will likely work equally well with the current YGs.
Hello, I have YG Hailey 2.1's and have used both Parasound JC1+s as well as my current Audionet Max amps. There was no comparison. The Audinet Max's were more resolving, quicker, everything. More sparkle! The Audionet stuff is amazing (Pre G2 and Max) and makes the Hailey's sing! I originally had the Max's, but hauled them upstairs to try with my Revel Salon 2's and Mola Mola Makua w onboard Tambaqui. The Max's were so much better than the Mola Mola Kalugas so I kept them upstairs, sold the Kalugas and ordered another pair of Max's. Covid delays and no bsmt amps got me to bring in a pair of the JC1+s. I had heard much good things about them. I was very disappointed compared to the Audionet amps, so back they went!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I hate to be this way but when is the last time you heard of a reference system with Parasound amps? And I think Ampzilla which I did own is probably better. I get lots of PMs and emails about them as well.

Reactions: wil

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Dave Wilson used Parasound JC1 amps to drive Thor's Hammer subs in a statement Wilson system, RMAF 2013. That rig was great.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hello, I have YG Hailey 2.1's and have used both Parasound JC1+s as well as my current Audionet Max amps. There was no comparison. The Audinet Max's were more resolving, quicker, everything. More sparkle! The Audionet stuff is amazing (Pre G2 and Max) and makes the Hailey's sing! I originally had the Max's, but hauled them upstairs to try with my Revel Salon 2's and Mola Mola Makua w onboard Tambaqui. The Max's were so much better than the Mola Mola Kalugas so I kept them upstairs, sold the Kalugas and ordered another pair of Max's. Covid delays and no bsmt amps got me to bring in a pair of the JC1+s. I had heard much good things about them. I was very disappointed compared to the Audionet amps, so back they went!
For YG, i think the Dag Momentum’s are a good option. They double all the way down to 1 ohm. $80k now though. Not too far from Audionet Heisenbergs.

Last edited:

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I hate to be this way but when is the last time you heard of a reference system with Parasound amps? And I think Ampzilla which I did own is probably better. I get lots of PMs and emails about them as well.
Your reference system may be different from someone else. So many in this hobby make statements as if they're facts, but their just expressing an opinion. It's weird that in a hobby that's so subjective, some believe their opinions are absolutes.

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
It really is subjective unless you have heard both things being compared in an identical system. And then it is still system dependent.
But when I say Audionet Max amps are better than Parasound JC1+s, it is from direct objective comparison in my system; IMHO. And I have had a Parasound A 51 for twenty years. It is built like a tank and is fine. But it is not high end. You may not agree and that is fine! Take care, Ken

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Your reference system may be different from someone For YG, i think the Dag Momentum’s are a good option. They double all the way down to 1 ohm. $80k now though. Not too far from Audionet Heisenbergs

Well, my Heisenberg's are coming tomorrow! Along with Stern. I am trading in my Max's and Pre G2, and upgrading pc's and speaker cables from Elation to Realization. It sounds so good now I can't even imagine better, but I am certainly excited!!! I am sure the DAG's are also excellent.

Reactions: KeithR

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, my Heisenberg's are coming tomorrow! Along with Stern. I am trading in my Max's and Pre G2, and upgrading pc's and speaker cables from Elation to Realization. It sounds so good now I can't even imagine better, but I am certainly excited!!! I am sure the DAG's are also excellent.
WOW! That is Christmas right there! Congrats! Big news for you. Enjoy the very first notes and all the settling in to come through the holidays. I have read and heard nothing but superlatives from pretty much everyone who has heard them including my local dealer who was a big proponent of them when we were thinking about the next move in amplification.

Look forward to reading your listening notes.

BTW, I like the YG Hailey + REL Carbon (wireless) combination! Very cool. Not heard the Haileys but have spent time with early gen YG Anat Ref II Professional...and personally like the combination of bigger speakers with very good, very well calibrated sub(s).

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Your reference system may be different from someone else. So many in this hobby make statements as if they're facts, but their just expressing an opinion. It's weird that in a hobby that's so subjective, some believe their opinions are absolutes.
Agreed. Maybe another way of saying it is from all the great reviews they get none of the reviewers purchase them.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Agreed. Maybe another way of saying it is from all the great reviews they get none of the reviewers purchase them.
Not true. Reviewer for Stereo Times, Greg Simmons, reviewed the Parasound JC5 in the current edition and bought the review sample.

cdka

Jun 4, 2022
No, nunca tuve ese problema. Siempre fui adicto a escuchar música en mi nuevo sistema durante horas y horas. Fácilmente pude escuchar las cosas desagradables iniciales y la música, porque la presentación de la música fue muy emocionante para mí. Mis amigos audiófilos se quejaban más. Por otro lado, comencé a adoptar algunas de sus sensibilidades y mejoré mi sistema en consecuencia hacia cada vez menos distorsión, una gran parte de la cual fue inducida más por las interacciones adversas de la habitación y los reflejos dentro de la habitación que cualquier otra cosa .

Todavía soy completamente adicto a escuchar mi sistema durante horas y horas, pero ahora con el sonido de distorsión más "agradable" y más bajo que he tenido. También fue mejorado cambiar recientemente mis tubos de potencia de tiro (después de 5000 horas de tiempo de funcionamiento) por unos nuevos ;). Mucho mejor que mi viejo sistema con mis viejos parlantes en *todos* los sentidos.

No es que sea un sonido perfecto, ningún sistema lo es, pero es un paraíso para mí.

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Well Christmas did indeed arrive! Bill Parish from GTT and Joe Kubala from Kubala-Sosna delivered my Stern, Heisenbergs and Realization power cables and speaker cables. My system with Pre G2 and Max's (and Elation cables) was sounding so good I thought I might have lost my mind. But all I can say is wow. The sound now flows so easily...with better separation and resolution at both ends. Especially the bass. I had turned off my REL Carbon Limited subs, and when we energized the system I actually thought they were on! Not just more bass, but better bass. I can hear the pluck of the bass guitar more easily, and the woody growl of a Richenbacher bass is just like being there. I am still listening, but my Hailey 2.1's have found their match made in heaven (actually Germany). We did add in the subs, and of course they improved things even more. Some would say they are not needed, but when you take them away you miss them. they move the air and pressurize the room, and improve everything.
Cheers! Ken

Reactions: sujay and dan31

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is wonderful, Ken! Congratulations! I’m so happy for you!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
so to wrap up this amp exercise, a Gryphon Essence is going to appear in my listening room after the holidays. this was the amp that ultimately led me to purchase the speakers almost 2 years ago. See post #2958:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
for speakers going into 2023, there are a few brands that I hope to hear at Axpona or a dealer:

Acora Acoustics - in a ballroom in Long Beach this year but had promise
Cessaro (which has alluded me since the beginning) - the new Opus 1 looks very interesting, although the Wagner has been on my list for several years
Gobel - up there in cost ($90k is the minimum price of entry), but hope to hear at Axpona

I'll also note that the Stenheim Alumine 5 got product of the year at TAS - and is a brand that I've said since my time with them is an up and comer.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well Christmas did indeed arrive! Bill Parish from GTT and Joe Kubala from Kubala-Sosna delivered my Stern, Heisenbergs and Realization power cables and speaker cables. My system with Pre G2 and Max's (and Elation cables) was sounding so good I thought I might have lost my mind. But all I can say is wow. The sound now flows so easily...with better separation and resolution at both ends. Especially the bass. I had turned off my REL Carbon Limited subs, and when we energized the system I actually thought they were on! Not just more bass, but better bass. I can hear the pluck of the bass guitar more easily, and the woody growl of a Richenbacher bass is just like being there. I am still listening, but my Hailey 2.1's have found their match made in heaven (actually Germany). We did add in the subs, and of course they improved things even more. Some would say they are not needed, but when you take them away you miss them. they move the air and pressurize the room, and improve everything.
Cheers! Ken
Congrats on the electronics - I've heard amazing things about the combo with YG. You might try some other cable brands. I've found better for less. YMMV and all that.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
for speakers going into 2023, there are a few brands that I hope to hear at Axpona or a dealer:

Acora Acoustics - in a ballroom in Long Beach this year but had promise
Cessaro (which has alluded me since the beginning) - the new Opus 1 looks very interesting, although the Wagner has been on my list for several years
Gobel - up there in cost ($90k is the minimum price of entry), but hope to hear at Axpona

I'll also note that the Stenheim Alumine 5 got product of the year at TAS - and is a brand that I've said since my time with them is an up and comer.
So the Fynes were not “end game” speakers? Ok… BTW. the new Opus 1 from Cessaro sounded very good in Munich with the Alieno hybrids. Haven’t heard the Wagner but it is similar drivers in a larger backloaded horn design for a lot more money. Opus 1 is some type of vented box.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing