Ken Fritz’s extreme exotic system

Nice dream come true. I would not have chosen Krell but he enjoys it

There are many roads that lead to Rome....

I think everyone here would have chozen something different ;-)

That's why this forum exsists (and many others)...

And that is what makes this hobby so interesting,

Last edited:
There are many roads that lead to Rome....

I think everyone here would have chozen something different ;-)

That's why this forum exsists (and many others)...

And hat is what makes this hobby so interesting,

Absolutely right - it is a shame some folks just can’t accept this fact and move on with their own path.

It is so sad to watch….
OMG ! Really sad indeed ! At least he was able to enjoy his creation as he could finish it ! Let's hope he still can !
Plus he is surrounded by beautiful people !

Edit !

Cleaned this entry of unconfirmed "rumor"

I just hope he is doing well given the circumstances !

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff1225
I talked to Ken in 2018 about his Ampex ATR-102 tape machines after being connected with him by Nick Doshi. Ken told me about his room and we had a very pleasant, quite long chat . I didn't think I was hearing him correctly about the dimensions of the room! He had several Ampex ATR-102 tape recorders and 35 boxes of parts and accessories. I asked him why the tape machines and all the parts. He didn't play tapes, but had a son who was interested in a career as a musician. Ken bought the machines and I remember he said he had planned to build a studio for him. But it didn't work out. So he wanted to sell the equipment. I have a couple of friends who also have ATR-102's as well as my own two. So we went through his list of parts and equipment and made him an offer for those that we wanted. I never heard back. A little disappointed, but I dropped the issue figuring he didn't like our price. I was surprised not to get any response, no rejection or counter offer. Now I understand why. Very sorry to hear about his ALS. Edit: Removing comment about death. Was responding to post #6 and its edit.

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill
Too many clocks in the room.. I don't like seeing any references to time when I'm listening.
That's a ridiculous amount of amp power.. Would be interesting to hear, but there are many other
systems I would rather hear first.

Do we know for a fact that Ken has passed? I literally have an email open on my desktop that I have been waiting to send and check up on him and have put it off for a week now. I did not know him well but had the pleasure of being introduced to him and speaking with him a year ago. I was thinking of him and just wanted to say hello and see how he was. If this is true, I feel even worse. How many times do we tell ourselves not to put off something like this or it will be too late! An amazing man.

Too many clocks in the room.. I don't like seeing any references to time when I'm listening.
That's a ridiculous amount of amp power.. Would be interesting to hear, but there are many other
systems I would rather hear first.
This has got to take the prize for the meanest thing I've ever read on WBF.

Reactions: musicfirst1
By you, yeah.

I just read the part about him having ALS. I’m terribly sorry, I meant no disrespect, very sorry to hear. In fact I was moved by his words about being able to have time left enjoy the system.. Im too living the golden age thing.. My apologies for any insensitive remarks

As you should. Your Post No. 8 was beyond rude and disrespectful. It was abhorrent.

If I w
As you should. Your Post No. 8 was beyond rude and disrespectful. It was abhorrent.
I only skimmed the first 10 minutes of the first video when I made my comment. Believe me, I have a great appreciation of what adverse health is like. I would have never have commented if I would have read more and realized the whole story.. My observations were not a personal attack, but certainly not appropriate now understanding the situation.

I talked to Ken in 2018 about his Ampex ATR-102 tape machines after being connected with him by Nick Doshi. Ken told me about his room and we had a very pleasant, quite long chat . I didn't think I was hearing him correctly about the dimensions of the room! He had several Ampex ATR-102 tape recorders and 35 boxes of parts and accessories. I asked him why the tape machines and all the parts. He didn't play tapes, but had a son who was interested in a career as a musician. Ken bought the machines and I remember he said he had planned to build a studio for him. But it didn't work out. So he wanted to sell the equipment. I have a couple of friends who also have ATR-102's as well as my own two. So we went through his list of parts and equipment and made him an offer for those that we wanted. I never heard back. A little disappointed, but I dropped the issue figuring he didn't like our price. I was surprised not to get any response, no rejection or counter offer. Now I understand why. Very sorry to hear about his ALS. Edit: Removing comment about death. Was responding to post #6 and its edit.

Larry
Larry, I am Ken's daughter. I shared this message with dad and, unfortunately, he has no recollection of your previous contact. Are you interested in reconnecting? I spend several days a week helping him with various things and am happy to help you two connect.

Reactions: rando
Hello Betsy,

Thank you for joining WBF to respond to Larry!

Reactions: rando
Larry, I am Ken's daughter. I shared this message with dad and, unfortunately, he has no recollection of your previous contact. Are you interested in reconnecting? I spend several days a week helping him with various things and am happy to help you two connect.
hello Betsy,

as another guy who went crazy with my room, Ken and i interacted in 2010, regarding his interest in tapes from Rich Brown, and connecting with Steve Dobbins. we talked on the phone a couple of times. my room is not quite to the level of Ken's, but a huge life commitment like that. so i can fully relate to his efforts. it's very special to me.

Ken is lucky to have such a supportive family; as am i.

here is a picture Ken sent to me back then from CES 97' of him with Steve Dobbins, Albert Porter, and Ralph Carsten. (edit---looking at that picture again, i'm sure that is more like 2007 and likely RMAF....not CES. that restaurant is next to the Marriott in Denver.)

1627062394518.png

best regards,

Mike Lavigne

Last edited:
I've viewed the video twice. Who would not be impressed as hell to learn the story of Ken Fritz in assembling his system? If you don't feel the genuine love of his single-minded devotion and passion to this hobby, then I don't know what you are, but you are not an audiophile. This is a beautiful and lifetime accomplishment and I felt privileged to learn about it.

And oh, by the way, when Mike L says "my room is not quite to the level of Ken's", that should tell you all you need to know. Zealots are not often known for their modesty, but these guys pull it off very admirably here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing