KL Audio Record Cleaning Machine vs Audio Desk Systeme

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
according to ADS, my unit was the first one with ultrasonic transducer failure. I do find that hard to believe now. If your utrasonics are dead, it has to go back to Germany. Ultra Systems is not equipped to make that sort of repair. It's a two month process to get it back. Ultra Systems did offer me a loaner unit, which is a nice service. I declined it as I wouldn't use it any way when I have the KL hanging around. I plan to sell my ADS once it is back. The warranty will expire this coming August.

Unload it quick while it still has some warranty left! The new owner will probably need it.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
according to ADS, my unit was the first one with ultrasonic transducer failure. I do find that hard to believe now. If your utrasonics are dead, it has to go back to Germany. Ultra Systems is not equipped to make that sort of repair. It's a two month process to get it back. Ultra Systems did offer me a loaner unit, which is a nice service. I declined it as I wouldn't use it any way when I have the KL hanging around. I plan to sell my ADS once it is back. The warranty will expire this coming August.

I'm no expert when it comes to these machines, that's for sure. When the water fills in the tank for cleaning, there is no movement or bubbling any longer. The water just sits there until the brushes start and then there's movement in the water from the rollers. Wouldn't that mean a problem with the ultrasonics?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm no expert when it comes to these machines, that's for sure. When the water fills in the tank for cleaning, there is no movement or bubbling any longer. The water just sits there until the brushes start and then there's movement in the water from the rollers. Wouldn't that mean a problem with the ultrasonics?

the easiest way to tell is to turn off the lights and look into the bottom of the tank right side. If you don't see led lights coming on during the cleaning cycle, cycling between red and purple, it probably is the ultrasonic transducers. Make sure you tell Ultra Systems... if in fact those lights don't go on. I first noticed only one color light coming on instead of two. a week later, no lights were coming on.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
the easiest way to tell is to turn off the lights and look into the bottom of the tank right side. If you don't see led lights coming on during the cleaning cycle, cycling between red and purple, it probably is the ultrasonic transducers. Make sure you tell Ultra Systems... if in fact those lights don't go on. I first noticed only one color light coming on instead of two. a week later, no lights were coming on.

Good grief! I sat on my hands and did not buy an Audio Desk early on and was content to put up with the time consumption and great results of my Loricraft. Glad I did, though I must say, that all of the positive comments about the KL Audio RCM are beginning to pique my interest.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I checked it this morning, no LEDs of any color coming on.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I've cleaned about 4000 records on my ADS in about 2 1/2 years. So far no issues. Had to change the fluid and replace the replaceable white rollers. NB. Almost all of the records had been cleaned before with a VPI 16.5 and Disk Doctor fluids.

Larry

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Before sending your unit back, first take out the white rubber lips so you can sight the transducer, and cycle through a cleaning process with no record in the slot. Locate the small circular transducer straight down below. There should be a small vortex of bubbles at the top of the water line directly above the transducer during the cleaning portion. Robert at Ultra Systems said that just because you don't see the lights doesn't mean the ultrasonic is not working. If no bubbles then your transducer has failed. He said that he has seen only one other failure before Chris' went back.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Before sending your unit back, first take out the white rubber lips so you can sight the transducer, and cycle through a cleaning process with no record in the slot. Locate the small circular transducer straight down below. There should be a small vortex of bubbles at the top of the water line directly above the transducer during the cleaning portion. Robert at Ultra Systems said that just because you don't see the lights doesn't mean the ultrasonic is not working. If no bubbles then your transducer has failed. He said that he has seen only one other failure before Chris' went back.

Thanks Bill. First thing I noticed was no bubbles then it was mentioned in this thread to look for the LEDs. Pretty sure it's not working correctly.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My Audio Desk Systemme Record Cleaning Machine produces a lot of bubbling and I do not see any light. It has been working perfectly for a few months.
My only "problem" - a few drops of water systematically in the label and vinyl surface at the end of the cleaning was my fault - I put the power cable under one of the feet and the machine was not leveled - the air bubble was well outside the circle. As soon as I leveled the machine, no more water drops and perfectly clean LPs.

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Thanks Bill. First thing I noticed was no bubbles then it was mentioned in this thread to look for the LEDs. Pretty sure it's not working correctly.
It's a very small area of circular bubbles about the size of a dime-directly over the transducer, at the water line. You must slide out the white wipers to see this. I would do it in a well lit area or a dark room with a flashlight over this area.

junk981

Sep 6, 2013
I think all the negative comments about the ADS reliability on the net is true. I sent my ADS for repair six months ago ..... the problem is the roller and LED..... I'm still waiting.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I think all the negative comments about the ADS reliability on the net is true. I sent my ADS for repair six months ago ..... the problem is the roller and LED..... I'm still waiting.

Well, your's is probably sitting behind mine in line for repair then. I've been waiting for mine since last August.

I've written it off. You'd have to be an idiot to buy an Audio Desk at this point. I think the guy has proven he has no clue when it comes to customer service.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Well, your's is probably sitting behind mine in line for repair then. I've been waiting for mine since last August.

I've written it off. You'd have to be an idiot to buy an Audio Desk at this point. I think the guy has proven he has no clue when it comes to customer service.

Or it would seem, improving a defective and unreliable design design. There are just too many stories of machines being returned for poor service.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia

Totally agreed . Repeated emails for 2/3 months . Refused to answer email including from dealer . Just to test him , I asked for order of 10 units of Audio Desk . Replied within a few hours . Subsequently I bombarded him with many emails. He asked what was my problem & I responded & attached my 1st email written in February 2015 & thereafter he became a ghost again. Totally disappear .
Not that he don't understand customer service , he has no intention to service your used machine & make no money out of it

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Hopefully threads like these will put him out of business! Certainly the word is spreading.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Totally agreed . Repeated emails for 2/3 months . Refused to answer email including from dealer . Just to test him , I asked for order of 10 units of Audio Desk . Replied within a few hours . Subsequently I bombarded him with many emails. He asked what was my problem & I responded & attached my 1st email written in February 2015 & thereafter he became a ghost again. Totally disappear .
Not that he don't understand customer service , he has no intention to service your used machine & make no money out of it

Unfortunately, this kind of experience is only too familiar in our hobby. IMO, the reason is due to the basics of the hobby itself. We, as a'philes, do NOT constitute a very big consumer group...relatively speaking. As such, the norm for many manufacturers in our hobby is the guy who is working out of his garage as a hobby...second to his retirement or real day job. Because of this situation, many times IF a product has failure issues, the guy/manufacturer cannot support it and continue to make a profit! So, what does he do...puts his head in the sand and hopes the problem will go away.
One of the reasons that I like to know a little history of the company ( any company) before I spend my hard earned dollar on a brand new latest and greatest! BTW, I think S'phile has a policy that before they review a product...it has to have a certain minimum number of dealers...a good thing, again IMHO. This could lead to minimizing the problem with the garage bay start-up.
Remember the old saying...."be careful out there".:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing