Klaudio Record Cleaning Machine Review

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just thinking here... If you are going to do multiple steps, why not START with the ultra-sonic, to remove crap from the grooves you might otherwise grind in with a scrubbing sequence, no matter how gentle. I'd prefer the only thing dragging through the grooves is the stylus. I have found many of my new better pressings come out just fine with a 4 or 5 minute trip through the KLaudio. (I only dry for 2 minutes, seems enough to get 'er done. YMMV)

Does anyone notice any gunk accumulating on their stylus after cleaning with either the AD or KLaudio? It's a bit more with the Atlas that doubles as a groove cleaner compared to other cartridges I've used.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Does anyone notice any gunk accumulating on their stylus after cleaning with either the AD or KLaudio? It's a bit more with the Atlas that doubles as a groove cleaner compared to other cartridges I've used.

None on mine, but I go through a full multi-step cleaning process on the VPI, followed by the AD and then a final rinse on the VPI.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India

Pretty often with the Loricraft and the Atlas. Jim Pendleton explained that I was a bit generous in using the AVIS one step. It's never happened with the KLAudio even though there is a prior manual scrub with the enzyme.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
There are three camps speaking for myself...those that soak and scrub prior to ads or KL treatment.

I suupose, but my feeling is once you "scrub" your a "scrubber". But I do soak when using enzyme or have a really grungy LP. But I think where I go overboard is with the amount of fluid, now that would probably classify me as a "flooder". I could never get into light use of fluid. Bad habit, I try to stop but can't. Maybe I should try some Chantix.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
This may be a semantic of degree between two words.

As to brushes, I was all MoFi until I used Jim Pendleton's Listener Select brushes.

I took a look and found that JP's brushes are the Osage brush. Similar in design with Loricarft brushes. I do have an Osage but have not used it as yet. I use the DD (they hold up a long time) and MoFi's and like them the best, but found they've a tendency to fray and unravel at the edges with little use.

Yes, the bristles are not going to make into the grooves. As far as scrubbing, I have changed my technique over time and now try to use lighter pressures with a back-and-forth motion forcing a aerated-fluid mix (foamy) into the grooves. Some fluids allow this better than others.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles..maybe a dumb ? but what's S&G?

Also, didn't your review of the KLAudio say 4 min. was better than 3 min. but 5 min. showed no difference over 4 min.?

s**t and giggles.

Did four in the review but now doing five. Think very slightly better. Went back and reread the review since wrote it a while ago now and didn't see where mentioned trying more then four at the time. Possibly you're thinking of the AD where I said the action maxed out at two mins?

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I had to go reread it as well. Then I found my error.
......."While two minutes of cleaning with the Klaudio machine was a little better than the comparable time with the Audio Desk Systeme machine, four minutes really brought their differences to the fore. By contrast, increasing the cleaning time with Audio Desk Systeme didn't produce any major benefits".

Yep, that's where I got my machines crossed.

I have done 5 min. clean cycles but I have not done any comparrisons, doubt if I will since I will still be spending time on the Loricraft. So, while the KLA is cleaning an LP I can start the next one on the Loricraft. Sounds like fun! What's +1 more minute on the KLA at this point, other than bbbzzzzbbbzzzzbbbzzzzz....

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
I used to own the ADS, and now own the KLA, so feel I can speak to both. I mainly have old, and in some cases, fairly grotty records to clean. Not much new classical being released to vinyl....

After much back and forth I feel the KLA does a better job of cleaning the grooves than the ADS, but the ADS did a better overall "one step" clean than the KLA, in that the detergent/rollers also cleaned the surface, whereas the KLA doesn't do that so much. The ADS was also noticeably quieter than the KLA, which makes a racket. Nothing wrong the ADS - I found it worked very well indeed, but the KLA has a reassuringly industrial build quality about it. The convenience is really very special.

In cases where I have a really dirty old record (and there are a few) I usually pre clean then into the KLA. But that isn't a big deal. I use a spray & wipe method.

I use 4min for washing usually. I use a minute or two if I just want to "top up" the clean after a few plays. Usually 3 minutes to dry.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I used to own the ADS, and now own the KLA, so feel I can speak to both. I mainly have old, and in some cases, fairly grotty records to clean. Not much new classical being released to vinyl....

After much back and forth I feel the KLA does a better job of cleaning the grooves than the ADS, but the ADS did a better overall "one step" clean than the KLA, in that the detergent/rollers also cleaned the surface, whereas the KLA doesn't do that so much. The ADS was also noticeably quieter than the KLA, which makes a racket. Nothing wrong the ADS - I found it worked very well indeed, but the KLA has a reassuringly industrial build quality about it. The convenience is really very special.

In cases where I have a really dirty old record (and there are a few) I usually pre clean then into the KLA. But that isn't a big deal. I use a spray & wipe method.

I use 4min for washing usually. I use a minute or two if I just want to "top up" the clean after a few plays. Usually 3 minutes to dry.

Interesting Andrew

Good to have another POV.

Be calling you soon to pop ova for a wine and a few somewhat noisy LP's to test against my Hannl

cheers

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
Be calling you soon to pop ova for a wine and a few somewhat noisy LP's to test against my Hannl

Excellent - I'd look forward to it - you can hear the MusicMaker MI cart as well. I'm liking it so far. I'm not especially busy atm - so maybe next weekend?

Andrew

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
the grey 'gunk' is dirt that has been 'ultra-soniced' over and over as it is suspended in the water. during every cleaning anything in the tank gets stirred up and re-blasted with the 200 watt ultrasonic process. as it gets finer and finer it drops to the bottom of the water tank and eventually it becomes that grey gunk.

this is according to Tim and Peter from KLaudio discovered during their initial design process.

"love the gunk"!

Hi, Mike.

You sent me a PM in regards to the KL Audio machine. I have been out of the loop for a while because of health issues but I am back now and tried to respond to that PM. I was not able to because you don't allow people to send you PM's anymore. So please send me a new PM and tell me how I can contact you with a response.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi, Mike.

You sent me a PM in regards to the KL Audio machine. I have been out of the loop for a while because of health issues but I am back now and tried to respond to that PM. I was not able to because you don't allow people to send you PM's anymore. So please send me a new PM and tell me how I can contact you with a response.

done.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Just picked up a KLA from a buddy of mine who is getting out of vinyl for a while. less than 2 months old. thanks bud :cool:

Seems they are up to version 4. No toggle switch, just 5 speeds and off for washing and drying. A nice cool light in the right side lp slot. Not sure what other improvements have been incorporated

14629024367_8dd5512b1a_b.jpg

14816559445_8d0ffd87e0_c.jpg

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I might be imagining things, however I am getting better results running the LP through the KLA twice. That is after playing before and after, then cleaning again. That is after these have already been cleaned on Hannl rcm prevously.

4 minute wash and 2 minute dry. the 2nd time seems to bring better transparency overall with more detailed delicate highs. Subtle but there :D

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I wanted to check out how the Klaudio does with really, really dirty records, and I finally got the opportunity when I picked up something that looked really bad.

I was going to change the water in my cleaner anyway, so I didn't mind putting this album in. Here's what it looked like before cleaning.

Really Dirty.jpg

I ran it through once on 5min clean, 3 min dry and this is what it looked like after.

Clean.jpg

I didn't play it to see what it sounded like before cleaning (I'd probably would have had to throw away the mat and the cartridge), but after the first clean, it still sounded pretty "sandy".

I changed the water in my machine twice, and cleaned it once more. Still sounding bad.

Changed the water once more, cleaned it twice more, and it's sounding pristine. However, there's still the problem of the really dirty label and dirt in the end part of the lead-out groove.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Interesting Gary. I think I will use my normal RCM first to get rid of all that dust and crap.

seems to match my limited testing that two goes with the KLA is better - perhaps more :D

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Interesting Gary. I think I will use my normal RCM first to get rid of all that dust and crap.

Since I didn't know what all that dust and crap were, I didn't want to risk getting that crap on the platter/brushes of my normal RCM. I thought that the Klaudio's tank might be easier to flush.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing