Koetsu

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Users of various carts including koetsu and Lyra swear by sound smith rebuilds

Yes I have heard people going to Soundsmith for retipping or cantilever replacement, but not for rebuilding as in changing the motor and inner wires.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow - regarding the stone collection

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And many people have asked me, how come the rebuilding cost of Koetsu is so expensive. I posted that question to my regional distributor and he told me that Koetsu does not do retipping only, granted that in fact the stylus tip had gone off due to a big bang. What Koetsu does is to open up the entire cartridge assembly, piece by piece laying out the small parts and motor, and if necessary, clean the parts that needs to be cleaned. Then supplying the broken parts, like a new cantilever/stylus. After than, an entire assembling process takes place, much like when assembling a new cartridge. Calibration and alignment follows, then a final listening test. So the labor involved is actually more tedious than assembling a new cartridge because the rebuilding entails the initial delicate job of stripping the whole cartridge apart, plus cleaning, then reassembly and testing. The rebuilding job is guaranteed for a few months and I had a customer who experienced some tracking problems after a rebuilt and it was sent back under warranty and he never had a problem after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: tdh888

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here is how another cartridge manufacturer, Lyra, does its rebuilding:

Most recent production Lyra cartridgeso can be rebuilt, effectively restored to original specification. (You can also upgrade your old Lyra cartridge, even if damaged or a discontinued model, to a new current model. For more info, click here.)

"Your Lyra cartridge will be returned to the Lyra factory in Japan, where master craftsman Yoshinori Mishima will completely disassemble it. He’ll then install a completely new moving-coil assembly, including cantilever, suspension, coils, damper, and stylus. Only the original magnets, which will be de-magnetised, and poll pieces are retained. Finally, he’ll adjust, measure, and tune your restored cartridge by ear, in exactly the same way new Lyra cartridges are completed."

https://www.coolgales.com/product-c...ment-cartridge-styli/lyra-cartridge-rebuilds/

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Dang, what a great idea on the stones collection! Beautiful.

I love the Koetsu rebuild process. After 8 (or so) weeks you get your stone cart back good as new, for at least half off what you'd pay for a new one -- and the more premium stones don't seem to cost more to rebuild (i.e. much more than half off). Combined with the longevity of a well cared for Koetsu, it brings the cost per hour down to a manageable level. If you initially buy used or get a great deal on a new one, it makes the Koetsu very cost competitive over time.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dang, what a great idea on the stones collection! Beautiful.

I love the Koetsu rebuild process. After 8 (or so) weeks you get your stone cart back good as new, for at least half off what you'd pay for a new one -- and the more premium stones don't seem to cost more to rebuild (i.e. much more than half off). Combined with the longevity of a well cared for Koetsu, it brings the cost per hour down to a manageable level. If you initially buy used or get a great deal on a new one, it makes the Koetsu very cost competitive over time.

I would agree.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have had two Koetsu rebuilds by Koetsu...both Coralstones...one boron, one diamond. Their service is excellent. I was told the only thing they used for the rebuild of modern platinum series carts is the Stone itself. Everything else is replaced new.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have had two Koetsu rebuilds by Koetsu...both Coralstones...one boron, one diamond. Their service is excellent. I was told the only thing they used for the rebuild of modern platinum series carts is the Stone itself. Everything else is replaced new.

That's Good to know, Christian.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Did they come back with good scents too? :p

Was it in this thread someone mentioned his Koetsu has good scent. Maybe it was just my cold medicine.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Was it in this thread someone mentioned his Koetsu has good scent. Maybe it was just my cold medicine.

Sandalwood. ahhhhhhh.

in 1998 I purchased a Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum cartridge. the wood box was Sandlewood, and it smelled wonderful.

that RSP was my reference cartridge for about 18 months, but I kept it for 11 years. it was like an old girlfriend on the side. sexy as hell but not my steady date. but even though it was not the main cart the smell was always compelling.

it was initially replaced by an Insider Gold, then vdH Colibri, and then others......and I hated to sell the RSP as there was something soothing about it.....even though it was always a bit colored.

........but I still miss the Sandalwood fragrance.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

I don't recall rebuilt units having the aromatic scent. Or maybe I had outgrown it, but no, I think I won't. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sandalwood. ahhhhhhh.

in 1998 I purchased a Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum cartridge. the wood box was Sandlewood, and it smelled wonderful.

that RSP was my reference cartridge for about 18 months, but I kept it for 11 years. it was like an old girlfriend on the side. sexy as hell but not my steady date. but even though it was not the main cart the smell was always compelling.

it was initially replaced by an Insider Gold, then vdH Colibri, and then others......and I hated to sell the RSP as there was something soothing about it.....even though it was always a bit colored.

........but I still miss the Sandalwood fragrance.

So it's Sandlewood. Thanks for the info, Mike. I miss the fragrance too.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
23715145_10208472548491328_1334561541_o.jpg

No, this is not some new exotic stone for an upcoming model. i just remembered I had wrapped the box of my RWS 11 years ago hoping it would still retain the aromatic scent of the wood inside the box. :D

23715011_10208472548411326_1370440326_o.jpg

After 11 years of semi 'mummyfication', I opened it to check if there is still that fragrant smell.

23730744_10208472548651332_1000246853_o.jpg

Alas there is still a faint smell that I so miss. I'm getting to be too much of a Koetsu junkie. :D

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
Great thread - the first Koetsu I purchased was the Urushi Black - I still have it and probably will never sell it as it is emotionally satisfying in a way that I haven't experienced with any other cart - it's also quite beautiful with the gold flakes against the deep black lacquer finish :eek:

[URL="https://flic.kr/p/21WLzvn"][IMG]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4586/38688480971_dd3a50711a_c.jpg[/URL]IMG_0611 by mountainjoe, on Flickr[/IMG]

A few years later I got a Rosewood Signature Platinum that was modified with a Soundsmith ruby cantilever and OCL diamond tip - the RSP is better resolving and more extended in the highs compared to the Urushi but weak in the bass response - the Urushi Black by comparison has considerably more weight in the bass.

[URL="https://flic.kr/p/21Asmvw"][IMG]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4561/38458595312_5de5e60816_c.jpg[/URL]38431532262_7c5bb462b8_o by mountainjoe, on Flickr[/IMG]

Lastly, I recently purchased a Blue Lace Platinum and love this cart, especially on the FR66s. Juergen (Shakti) has been helping me optimize my setup for this cart and it's performing so much better than when I started with it mounted on my Kuzma tonearm - thanks Juergen! It's shown here with the Jelco rosewood headshell but I now have it mounted on a titanium headshell with the Dereneville headshell mat - which is a killer combination imo.

[URL="https://flic.kr/p/21RMhLd"][IMG]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4536/38632037276_30f9ef20ba_c.jpg[/URL]IMG_0501 by mountainjoe, on Flickr[/IMG]

I've owned and auditioned other carts but always come back to Koetsu for the silky smooth, luscious mids and overall musicality of these carts. I think the Blue Lace is going to live on my tonearm for a long, long time :D

Cheers, Joe

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Joe,

Thank you very much for posting here!

Would you please give us an analysis of the sound of the RSP versus the Blue Lace?

How should one decide between these two cartridges?

Have you ever thrown a Coralstone into the mix?

Is the FR-66S your very favorite tonearm for Koetsu cartridges? What is your favourite current production tonearm for Koetsu cartridges?

Thank you!

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
My dealer installed my Koetsu Black and kept the box. I'm still bummed I didn't ask for it on the spot.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Great thread - the first Koetsu I purchased was the Urushi Black - I still have it and probably will never sell it as it is emotionally satisfying in a way that I haven't experienced with any other cart - it's also quite beautiful with the gold flakes against the deep black lacquer finish :eek:

[URL="https://flic.kr/p/21WLzvn"][IMG]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4586/38688480971_dd3a50711a_c.jpg[/URL]IMG_0611 by mountainjoe, on Flickr[/IMG]

A few years later I got a Rosewood Signature Platinum that was modified with a Soundsmith ruby cantilever and OCL diamond tip - the RSP is better resolving and more extended in the highs compared to the Urushi but weak in the bass response - the Urushi Black by comparison has considerably more weight in the bass.

[URL="https://flic.kr/p/21Asmvw"][IMG]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4561/38458595312_5de5e60816_c.jpg[/URL]38431532262_7c5bb462b8_o by mountainjoe, on Flickr[/IMG]

Lastly, I recently purchased a Blue Lace Platinum and love this cart, especially on the FR66s. Juergen (Shakti) has been helping me optimize my setup for this cart and it's performing so much better than when I started with it mounted on my Kuzma tonearm - thanks Juergen! It's shown here with the Jelco rosewood headshell but I now have it mounted on a titanium headshell with the Dereneville headshell mat - which is a killer combination imo.

[URL="https://flic.kr/p/21RMhLd"][IMG]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4536/38632037276_30f9ef20ba_c.jpg[/URL]IMG_0501 by mountainjoe, on Flickr[/IMG]

I've owned and auditioned other carts but always come back to Koetsu for the silky smooth, luscious mids and overall musicality of these carts. I think the Blue Lace is going to live on my tonearm for a long, long time :D

Cheers, Joe

All very pretty, Joe, and thanks for posting them. 'Long, long time' can be 'forever'. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing