Kuzma SAFIR 9

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Haha, that's easily $50k of tonearms right there...how much is that per linear inch? Lol

Reactions: Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gotta keep the ladeez (and gentlemen) happy.

Reactions: bazelio

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
When my wife realized I bought myself a sapphire arm she had to have "something" sapphire herself so she has requested this:

Reactions: MJG and mtemur

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Seems fair to me.

Reactions: MJG

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
Safir 9 now on J. Sikora Reference

Attachments

• C9AA757D-A6A4-4EE4-9874-6153F617F963.jpeg
    C9AA757D-A6A4-4EE4-9874-6153F617F963.jpeg
    457.5 KB · Views: 77

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Sweet MJG. Table looks like a Kuzma XL 4 motor. What are did you use previously and what are your initial impressions of the Safir?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Safir 9 now on J. Sikora Reference
Appearance alone, the Kuzma Safir 9 belongs on the J. Sikora Reference TT :cool: :).

Lovely TT set-up you have there 'MJG'

Reactions: No Regrets and MJG

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
Sweet MJG. Table looks like a Kuzma XL 4 motor. What are did you use previously and what are your initial impressions of the Safir?
I‘ve had the Safir 9 for three months, mounted on the J. Sikora Standard Max before, changed to J. Sikora Reference today. Safir works excellent on both combos, added an incredible amount of substance, depth and transparency. Reference with Safir and Lyra Atlas Lambda SL to me are a perfect match.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Having listened to Kuzma Safir 9 with different cards, the general tendency of the arm is (as written from @MJG )

"substance, depth and transparency"

It is possible to underline this character with high resolution carts or to offset the character with a more soft and more emotional involving cart. My choice of carts is limited by the usage of the Phasemation T-2000 step up, which excludes (as example) Soundsmith and Grado carts.

I have seen in this thread the Koetsu Tigereye as a great set up, so I was planning to go the same direction, but than I got access to

an Aidas Mammoth Gold MKII cartridge

and I decided, that this might become a pair in heaven, sonically and from pure design purpose .

If you have seen the last Michael Fremer Video, demonstrating the pairing of Safir 9 and Audio Technica AT-MC2022,
you might understand, what is to my eyes an ugly set up ;-)

Even if the sound might be outstanding, I do not like the straight Kuzma Headshell paired with organic formed carts.

So the straight Aidas Design, similar to the beloved vdh colibri designs, matches the design language of the Safir 9 much better.
(personal view)

The first impression is great, beautiful flow of music, with the first notes you are deep traveling though the music as such,
not longer listening to details and *pling bling*

I felt it very hard to make the set up with the Aidas cart, using real music examples, as I always forgot, what I was looking for, ending up just with listening to the record side.

It looks like, that the Adidas cart will stay a little longer in my Kuzma Safir 9 tonearm.

IMG_1210.jpg IMG_1212.jpg IMG_1211.jpg IMG_1209.jpg

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I felt it very hard to make the set up with the Aidas cart, using real music examples, as I always forgot, what I was looking for, ending up just with listening to the record side.
Highest praise imho :)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
After some weeks with Kuzma Safir 9 I like to share some observations:

1. VTF
The Safir 9 is very heavy! I never had a tonearm, which is changing the VTF so dramatically by the height of the scale.
It is obvious, that the VTF should be measured in the area of the center of gravity of the arm.

But with Safir 9 this is a mandatory must.

Putting the scale on top of a record or on the platter can make a huge difference in VTF. (2.45 versus 2.0 as an example)

In my case the scale is too high to show the correct weight, even if placed direct on the platter.

The AF3P has fortunately the rubber ring on a level a little below the platter, so with my scale I can measure now on the level for a 180g record.

The Safir 9 has 2 counterweights, a big one and a little one. So the adjustment is very fast and can be made very precise.

As with every tonearm, the counterweight has a resonance control / damping effect as well. So at first I found out, that the position of the 2 weights do matter in sound. But (in my case) more important is the effect to counter turn the 2 weights into each other, that they are fixed together, depending on the torque you apply, the resonance effect will change. With some carts you might prefer the 2 weights being separate, with the Aidas Mammoth the 2 weights should be strong together to get a sharper and more precise picture of the musicians in the room and to get the transients more precise

2. VTA
adjusting VTA has (for me) two side effects with Safir 9.

One effect , the obvious one, is, that you change the height of the centre of gravity, so your VTF will change, when you adjust VTA.
On Safir 9, this can become a significant change.
I preferred (in my set up) to keep the base of the Safir 9 in parallel to the record and to get the best VTF measure.
It seems, that having the zero level of the record surface in the same layer than the centre of gravity of Safir 9 is better for the performance.

The second effect:
To adjust VTA, you have to open the big tonearmbase screw , than you can turn the little screw to adjust VTA precisely.
This works good!

After having done this, you close the tonearmbase screw again.
But you still will find to have some force against the little adjustment screw.

In my set up this sounds a very little muddy and closed.
Open up the adjustment screw to not have any torque applied,
opens up the performance of the music reproduction a little more.

I definitely makes fun to try to understand the Safir 9 better and better over the time :)

phoni

Dec 26, 2022
In my case the scale is too high to show the correct weight, even if placed direct on the platter.
I like to recommend the Ortofon DS-3, it measures VTF correct. Watch Mickey Fremer's preview of his upcoming Safir rewiew. All tonearms with the 4Point bearing have to deal with this problem.

... So at first I found out, that the position of the 2 weights do matter in sound. But (in my case) more important is the effect to counter turn the 2 weights into each other, that they are fixed together, depending on the torque you apply, the resonance effect will change. With some carts you might prefer the 2 weights being separate, with the Aidas Mammoth the 2 weights should be strong together to get a sharper and more precise picture of the musicians in the room and to get the transients more precise
I turned both counterweights tightly against each other that they can still be adjusted. So I have the best results with the clearaudio DaVinci and Goldfinger and the Dynavetor DRT XV-1t. On the other hand, if I use the two counterweights without mutual contact, the difference in sound is negligible for me. But I suspect that possible differences are caused by different VTF settings.

I definitely makes fun to try to understand the Safir 9 better and better over the time :)
You're damn right! :)

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Early on I had found once I had set the VTA set-screw then tightened the arm I would back off the set-screw so it would not contact the collar and this improved the sound, not by huge amounts but it was noticeable.

Attachments

• Safir VTA set-screw.jpeg
    Safir VTA set-screw.jpeg
    519.4 KB · Views: 19

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Early on I had found once I had set the VTA set-screw then tightened the arm I would back off the set-screw so it would not contact the collar and this improved the sound, not by huge amounts but it was noticeable.
thank you for confirming my listening experience.

It seems, that this will work than in other set ups as well.

Looping to the pictures in this thread, some of the VTA set screws are still in contact to the collar, so some can improve their sound by a very little :)

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Question to members regarding mounting a Safir arm on a Basis Audio turntable. I have a customer that owns a 2200 Basis with original Vector arm and is now contemplating a Safir arm for the table. He called Basis Audio and they told him they don't make a mount that will accept anything other than their own arms. Seems very strange but that was what he was told. Anyone have a Basis table and ever mount a Kuzma arm on it? Thanks in advance.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The Kuzma Safir 9 works very nicely on the Acryl of Basis Audio.

I had mine fitted to the Basis Debut turntable.

But Basis 2200 has no separate Tonearmbase, the Vector tonearm is in 222mm distance, Safir needs 212mm.

So you have to change the complete baseplate of the turntable, which is like changing the turntable.

Please see pictures of Basis Debut and 2200 and you will understand.

Basis Debut, Safir no problem:
IMG_0588.jpg IMG_0589.jpg

Basis 2200:

Basis 3.jpg basis2200wvector_square.jpg

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Thanks shakti after doing a bit more research that's the same conclusion I've come to.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing