Kuzma SAFIR 9

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
You’re right he doesn’t say. IMHO the idea behind that depends on better reading of lower bass information in the grooves by safir 9 (that’s the claim of writer not mine).
Since safir 9 has higher mass than almost all tonearms existed, resonance frequency drops to approximately 5Hz for possible candidate cartridges. IMHO writer tries to say that better bass performance and lower resonant frequency of safir 9 requires a high mass turntable because a high mass turntable has a lower resonance frequency, lower rumble, noise etc compared to a lower mass turntable. That’s not always true and mostly depends on implementation and design of the turntable. Writer also recommends immovable object of an equipment stand. IMHO again it is recommended for the same reason, better lower bass reproduction by eliminating air borne and structure borne vibrations. I think a turntable with vacuum hold down option should be considered with safir 9 because high mass tonearm would load suspension of the cartridge more and sometimes very hard on warped records compared to a low mass one.

Your comments are interesting, but I cannot attribute them to what the "writer" meant to say but could not. The product and the reader deserve better coverage.

Edit-orial: I believe this particular magazine is used by many in the industry as 'practice grounds' for newly launched products, before submitting them to the scrutiny of the real press. It is not uncommon to see first reviews at hifi+. If the manufacturer receives anything less that blanket praise he knows perhaps his product is not what he thinks it is, or to be wary of who subsequently may write a real review.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
Luckily, there is that screw in finger-lift that I like on the headshell. I always have to remember to swap it when I change 4-Point headshells. :cool:

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Just found this on Facebook…

AF12A07F-1B02-4361-A5D6-1075BB7176F0.jpeg

Reactions: SOS

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
As indicated in my report (page 5), here’s one more observation. There’s a detail I noticed recently that repeats itself consistently. Namely, for some reason the influence of Zanden’s EQ and t/c constant options on sound is more obvious with the Safir 9 than with the 4Point14. It’s much easier now to determine if Zanden’s suggested equalization is right or not. I’m not exactly sure why but my guess is it’s because of less distortions and consequently Safir’s higher resolution capability (and it’s nature) or it’s something else, I don’t know. I asked my friends that also have this arm if they heard the same “phenomenon”. One has a Zanden 1200 Signature, the other uses Karan Master Collection PHONOa that has EQ options too and both confirmed this.

Reactions: SOS and MJG

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
This is just a quick word to congratulate Franc Kuzma. I have been enjoying his Safir 9 tonearm for a week. It‘s exceeding my high expectations by far: what an extraordinary achievement. Thank you!

Reactions: christoph and SOS

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
This is just a quick word to congratulate Franc Kuzma. I have been enjoying his Safir 9 tonearm for a week. It‘s exceeding my high expectations by far: what an extraordinary achievement. Thank you!
I second that! Fantastic sound upgrade in MJG’s system with this arm!

Reactions: christoph and MJG

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I third that :cool:

Reactions: MJG

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I couldn't imagine that another arm, even such a special one like the Safir9, could sound so much better than the already VERY VERY good Sikora KV12, so I was a little anxious for my dear friend's leap of faith to order the Safir9 unheard :oops:

But once again (like with the AC Talos), it was a clear step up the sonic ladder :eek:
Congrats to Michael and to Franc Kuzma for an outstanding product :cool:

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Last edited:

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Has someone tested the very dynamic cartridges like London Reference, some EMT or the straightforward Lyra Atlas (first type, SL or any Lambda versions) with the SAFIR? Or is this combination „a little bit too much“ dynamic?
Or would you tend more in the direction of more musical cartridges like Koetsu stonebody, AirTight Opus 1, Miyabi Fuuga?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Has someone tested the very dynamic cartridges like London Reference, some EMT or the straightforward Lyra Atlas (first type, SL or any Lambda versions) with the SAFIR? Or is this combination „a little bit too much“ dynamic?
Or would you tend more in the direction of more musical cartridges like Koetsu stonebody, AirTight Opus 1, Miyabi Fuuga?
MJG uses a Lyra Atlas Lambda SL I think…

thekong

May 10, 2012
I have auditioned, at the dealer’s showroom, the Safir with EMT JSD VM on the Kuzma XL DC. The combo performed very well to my ears! I have just took delivery of my Safir, and will be pairing it with the EMT JSD P6.0.

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
thekong please keep us posted on your thoughts of the Safir arm in your own set-up. As I've posted in previous threads it was a game changer to my ears. Enjoy ;)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I visited a good friend of mine yesterday, to witness the "openbox" & setting up of his new Kuzma Safir 9 tonearm.
The turntable is Transrotor Tourbillon and the cartridge is a humble Eisteddfod Audio MC Blue cartridge.

IMG_20221210_151325.jpg

IMG_20221210_151648.jpg

The arm-tube is made of sapphire but IMO it's rather ugly, looking like a whitish wax candle. :rolleyes:

IMG_20221210_151453.jpg

Despite that the look was unattractive, the sonic performance was a big surprise.

To be frank, Kuzma 4Point is all along not my cup of tea.
However the Safir 9 is a totally diff story.
It surpassed the 4Point by a very big margin.
Even the Da Vinci Grandezza + ClearAudio Goldfinger Statement installed on the same turntable was not on the same league.
Very impressive!

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
MJG uses a Lyra Atlas Lambda SL I think…
My impression: Safir 9 and Lyra Atlas Lambda SL are a perfect match, however I don’t have any experience with other cartridges on the Kuzma. Although I was very happy with the J. Sikora KV12 (already with the Atlas Lambda), which I stilll consider an excellent tonearm, I just felt and was pretty sure the Safir had to be my next upgrade. So I took the plunge without having a chance to test it before. Listening to a YouTube-Interview with Franc Kuzma and reading several 4Point reviews convinced me ultimately. After two weeks with the Safir 9 I know I was right: incredible resolution, depth, 3D imaging, authority. I am in heaven, couldn’t be happier!

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
My impression: Safir 9 and Lyra Atlas Lambda SL are a perfect match, however I don’t have any experience with other cartridges on the Kuzma. Although I was very happy with the J. Sikora KV12 (already with the Atlas Lambda), which I stilll consider an excellent tonearm, I just felt and was pretty sure the Safir had to be my next upgrade. So I took the plunge without having a chance to test it before. Listening to a YouTube-Interview with Franc Kuzma and reading several 4Point reviews convinced me ultimately. After two weeks with the Safir 9 I know I was right: incredible resolution, depth, 3D imaging, authority. I am in heaven, couldn’t be happier!
Congratulations. I listened J. Sikora standart max with KV12 tonearm and I liked the table a lot. I also heard Safir 9 on a different table but I’m sure they sound great together.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I'm not sure I like where this is headed :)

Attachments

• IMG_2322.jpg
    IMG_2322.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 61

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Kcin I take it you just bought the Safir and are replacing your Kuzma 4 Point/Kondo arm with it? I had replaced my 4 Point (standard wired) arm with the Safir and it is nothing short of a revelation! Keep all posted on your thoughts. Enjoy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing