Kuzma SAFIR 9

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
You are already lost but I guess you kind of know that :D
Yes I am. Kind of like driving in an evening snow storm with your high beam lights on.

Best thing is it keeps me out of the bars and my wife can always find me as required. All kidding aside, Its good to be able to be fortunate enough to play with this stuff and cut away the blabber and assess against your own priorities.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Reactions: thekong

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
It would be nice to see one turntable with four SAFIR mounted on it with different cartridges. Why not?

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
That would be a dream TT but at close to $100,000 - 150,000 including armboards & cartridges (not including table itself) that's not very doable for many. (Including me)

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
just ordered Safir

hope the arm will be shipped in time to become my personal Christmas gift :)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
What cartridge will you use?
not yet decided, might be, that I am going to fit a Koetsu Stonebody cart.

I still have the Durand Tosca aside, so I will use my TechDAS TDC-01 cart on Tosca

Reactions: SOS

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Sweet! I use a MSL Platinum Sig with wonderful results. Couldn't be happier although I also loved the Gold Sig.
Enjoy and keep all posted once it arrives and set up

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Life is good when you can relegate your 11" 4pt with Kondo wire to the sidelines while you play swap the tonearm with the sapphire

Attachments

• IMG_2344.jpg
    IMG_2344.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2343.jpg
    IMG_2343.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 96

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Kcin I see you are using the SmarTracker. Which of the 5 (five) tangential curves do you prefer?

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Many people describe the exact focus, details and clearness of the SAFIR. These strengths combined with the precise bass and delicacy of a stonebody Koetsu could indeed be a match made in heaven. Please tell us more about the combination and the comparison to the Airline/Dynavector, too.
And how would the big Dynavector (1s or 1t?) match with the heavy SAFIR?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Kcin I see you are using the SmarTracker. Which of the 5 (five) tangential curves do you prefer?
Hi SOS

I often used the DIN - but I am not a classical music listener, I have since switched to Logfren B. My feeling is that if you can accurately set your stylus up with any curve - you will be ok. There are so many ways that you can mis-align a cartridge the curve type is the least of your worries.

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
My personal Christmas box arrived today and I am happily looking forward to install the tonearm.

I am still not sure in which direction I am going. I looks like, that I cannot get a matching base for my TechDAS AF3P in a short time, so I am looking into the fitment of the Safir 9 on my BASIS Debut turntable.Fortunately the BASIS is already installed with the Kuzma Stogi reference tonearm on the 212mm position, so I only have to exchange this two tonearms, no drilling at all.

But the distance between the BASIS and my Phasemation EA-2000 Phono is longer, than the attchached Phonoleads.

The current plan is to use a 1:10 Consolidated Audio step up to bridge the gap.

But still than the cable between step up and Phonostage is too long for a standard MC cartridge due to the capacity effect on connection cables between step up and phono stage.

This situation can become the favor for my beloved Soundsmith Hyperion cartridge, as this cart likes heavy arms and the MI technology is not that impressed by cable capacities ( I hope)

In one of the next days I will find out, what is working for me :)

IMG_0580.jpg

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
first steps done, Safir 9 fitted on Basis Debut (version with 24v DC motor and OEM Krell PSU)

next steps soon :)

IMG_0588.jpg IMG_0589.jpg

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
some hours later :)

IMG_0590.jpg
IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg
IMG_0588.jpg IMG_0592.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing