Kuzma SAFIR 9

thekong

May 10, 2012
Birdwatcher, Andy,

For two reasons I have defeated the Verdier’s suspension with simple metal columns. First, I belong to the school of thought that favours tight coupling between motor and platter, with no relative movement between the two. Second, I am putting the Verdier on a pneumatic laboratory table, so I don’t want double suspensions, which may create interference.

I am also experimenting with using super heavy platter mat on the Verdier, the one in my photo is the 2.5kg stainless steel mat from the Kenwood L-07D turntable. My initial impression is quite positive.

jazzdude99

Jul 10, 2021
Birdwatcher, Andy,

For two reasons I have defeated the Verdier’s suspension with simple metal columns. First, I belong to the school of thought that favours tight coupling between motor and platter, with no relative movement between the two. Second, I am putting the Verdier on a pneumatic laboratory table, so I don’t want double suspensions, which may create interference.

I am also experimenting with using super heavy platter mat on the Verdier, the one in my photo is the 2.5kg stainless steel mat from the Kenwood L-07D turntable. My initial impression is quite positive.
Super - thanks for the info

Andy

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Birdwatcher, Andy,

IME one of the major improvements on Verdier is centering magnets in relation to bearing shaft. Centering bearing shaft base in relation to lower magnet case is also important.

Petrat

Apr 17, 2019
UK
Gotta love the Verdier & it's...lets call it "industrial chic". I've been delighted with mine for 20 years, but even I have to concede it looks like it was assembled on a farm out of ploughing equipment!
Exactly! I've been describing mine as 'French Agricultural' for years. Ugly but lovely.
Strange there doesn't seem to be a PV thread here ...

Petrat

Apr 17, 2019
UK
Thanks a lot, thekong! Looks really good!
This is the original French version of the Platine Verdier, in contrast to the version of Auditorium 23 in Germany from phono and mine.
Did you have any issues with the springs in the feets, as you already use the not original light, but heavy metal towers and tonearm baseplate, that are much more heavy than the original wooden ones.
And what do you use as add on for the platter?
I, too, use heavier aluminium arm-pods and have disabled the suspension, as footfall on my wooden floors was causing mis-tracking with some cartridges.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Exactly! I've been describing mine as 'French Agricultural' for years. Ugly but lovely.
Strange there doesn't seem to be a PV thread here ...
The fact we don't have a PV thread mystifies me as well.... Perhaps it's that it's such an old design & looks so darn ugly that it's just not sexy enough for WBF...

jazzdude99

Jul 10, 2021
Mine isn’t ugly!

The arm boards and columns are African hardwood. Durand Kairos with VdH Crimson and an SM312s and London Reference

cheers

Andy

Attachments

• 4322F8FC-649C-4006-9AC5-2BA14E843CF1.jpeg
    4322F8FC-649C-4006-9AC5-2BA14E843CF1.jpeg
    562.1 KB · Views: 71

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The fact we don't have a PV thread mystifies me as well.... Perhaps it's that it's such an old design & looks so darn ugly that it's just not sexy enough for WBF...
you might open such a thread, as I am opening this thread frequently to read news about the Kuzma Safir 9 theme….

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Ah. Apologies for the inadvertent hijack!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Reactions: Chop

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
the kuzma stabi R standard base looks very similar, it even might fit the palmer

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Nope I brought over one of the Kuzma's base plates with the 3 holes that would bolt onto the table and they are a bit larger so that will not work.

Reactions: shakti

thekong

May 10, 2012
By looking at the photos in the review, looks like the arrangement is similar to that of the JC Verdier, with the armboard attached to the pillar using a bolt. If so, an easy way maybe to machine a new armboard to fit the Safir.

Reactions: mtemur

phoni

Dec 26, 2022
By looking at the photos in the review, looks like the arrangement is similar to that of the JC Verdier, with the armboard attached to the pillar using a bolt. If so, an easy way maybe to machine a new armboard to fit the Safir.
Yes, this should work alike. You must design a two-piece-base as shown for my 4Point 14"

Attachments

• kuzma_4point14.jpg
    kuzma_4point14.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 18

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Thanks phoni but who would be able to manufacture such a piece? Palmer is no longer in existence.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Thanks phoni but who would be able to manufacture such a piece? Palmer is no longer in existence.

phoni

Dec 26, 2022
You need a machine shop that makes the parts according to your specifications. Measure the distance between the platter spindle and the mounting point of the tonearm base on your turntable as well as the diameter in the chassis frame and the height from the chassis to the top edge of the platter. Franc Kuzma has all assembly details online. Try to find out if the Safir can be mounted on your palmer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing