Kuzma Stabi M

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Does anyone here own the Kuzma Stabi M? I was so enamored with it at RMAF, that I can't stop thinking about buying one. I know I don't need it, my Scout sounds very good, but boy, do I want it!
3.2.3.02.-stabi-m-closed-L.jpg

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I don't own Stabi M (I own XL4) but have heard it many, many times at Franc's place. This is a great turntable. You can't go wrong with it. With the 4point and Benz LP-S, it' a magical combination - extremely revealing and direct yet so musical. One day we compared it to the Studer A80 and guess what. The diference was NOT that great! In fact, on some material we even prefered the LP...

Last edited:
Reactions: twintech

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
One of my customers who purchased an XL4 along with an Air Line and a 4Point seems intrigued with the Stabi M and could wind up using either the 4Point on it or perhaps purchasing another 4Point. Yes, the Stabi M is a beast, a very refined one at that.

Reactions: twintech

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
www.euphonia-audioforum.se
4Point must be demounted, and Stabi Ref lifted away and so I could turn the rack 90 degrees;

Reactions: bmarq

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
Stabi What?
Stabi Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
:p

This is not a turntable. This is a transcription machine. Kuzma Stabi M reads the DNA of the vinyl and tells you what was really going on in the control room. At least it seems so. Franc Kuzma is either a genius or has a lot of luck. It took him a long time, but this must be his legacy.
The structure is suspended, but extremely inert and heavy. And it has a dc motor.

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden

The outer frame and sub-chassis is assembled from the factory.
The outer frame has three feet and the two in fron are adjustable, to make also the outer frame in level.
There are four decoupling towers in the outer frame, of which three are positioned above the feet. The sub-chassis is assembled on these towers.
Detailed levelling is made on the four knobs on the upper surface of the sub-chassis (like for Stabi Ref).
The decoupling is heavy and inert, but should be classified as suspended. I need to press with both hands to even see it move.

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
When the protecting knob is removed, I see the shaft for inverted bearing with the ruby ball in a cup :eek:
8-10 drops of bearing oil on the ruby tip and the rest on the shaft. Excessive oil drains to the reservoir (scrotum) in the bottom. So, no risk for overdose;

I remember some teacher saying diamond was the only thing that could etch ruby, and I'm not going to put my diamonds in that cup.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Great choice of turntable. I own a Kuzma ref 2 and if I upgrade it would be to the Stabi M. Such a natural sounding beast with exceptional engineering. Totally free from grain and just sounds real.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Congrats Calle.

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
Thanks!

The structure with the sub-platter is similar to Stabi Ref, but the design is slightly altered from a conical interface to a cylindrical.
The only advantage with that (I can think of) is that it's easier to get closer tolerances with cylindrical surfaces.

The flat rim is very stiff, but no problem to assemble over the motor wheel and sub-platter;

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
The armboard is grotesque. Very plain but 40mm thick massive aluminum.
The hole for the armboard in the sub-chassis is quite big to accomodate for various arm types, but I would not recommend to drill at home. Even if most arms are fitted with protractor, you dont want a gap in the hole and certainly not a non-vertical drilling.
Kuzma has all possible armboard types, and this one is Linn based but with the 40mm hole ("Kuzma style").

There's a slit in the armboard for the tonearm cables. The weight of the cables does not affect the tonearm as the connection box is fastened to the vta tower.
When 4Point is moved/transported, the connection box shall be moved to other tap on the tonearm housing, avoiding stress on the thin tonearm cables.

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
4Point is idiot safe to assemble with the protractor. Nothing to read off or measure, just hang the protractor on the center pin and turn the tonarm housing until it rests in the hook in the other end.

4Point is mounted as a 9" arm in the armboard, since the vta tower is based on that.
The geometric dimension, however, is 11" since the tonearm assembly center is located at 11" in plane.
BUT, in play, the arm is 12" since the lateral bearings are located behind the tonearm center.
Here is a close-up of the bearings when I lift the housing to make them visible.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Kudos on the setup Calle-- I have the 4point as well--interesting to hear your observations /etc when finalised for playback

Good Listening

BruceD

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
Here is a nice image of the sub-chassis, shot by Kuzma upside-down, and the brass for connecting the decoupling towers are visible, as well as the motor housing and its bushings;

Foto: Kuzma.si

My tonearm is mounted, and I need to do it again, since the slit in the outer frame is meant to be the parking place for the connection box :eek:

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
As the arm is mounted, it's time to connect the motor control.
The motor control generates a sinewave to a 3-phase frequency controlled dc motor by an advanced circuit.
I never cared too much about speed, and I think it's not so sensitive as to +/- some %. A constant speed however, that's important.
There's a 7-pole contact for the motor, and a 5-pole contact for the front panel control switches.

Motor control with start/stop, speed 33/45 and adjustment and storing of preferred speeds;

The front panel has the same functions for start/stop and 33/45;

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing