Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

Just trying to understand…. so if someone is using only digital with the Horizon….will direct to amp always outperform a high end intermediate linestage? What are the factors that could result in superior SQ from having a preamp in the mix? Of course I would like the beast unleashed, but are folks saying preamps are only holding the Horizon back, across the board?

Last edited:
Reactions: Willgolf
Just trying to understand…. so if someone is using only digital with the Horizon….will direct to amp always outperform a high end intermediate linestage? What are the factors that could result in superior SQ from having a preamp in the mix? Of course I would like the beast unleashed, but are folks saying preamps are only holding the Horizon back, across the board?
Can a passive preamp outperform a SOTA active line stage in all cases? I really doubt it.

Reactions: mr.gregdee
Basically, thats the situation, in my honest opinion but unverified with the LAMM.

Reactions: ctydwn
Horizon is ACTIVE and is the best line stage any money can buy.
Is 4 tetrodes, 4 triodes and double diode active enough ?
OK, did not realise that. Thanks for clarification. In this case anything is possible:) What is the output impedance?

everyones' wish is my command..........ready for the a/b test, then Horizon day to preamp to amp and at the end of each day I will run the Horizon direct to Amps

Steve, I’ve noticed that your Horizon has some sort of new stock feet. They are different from the feet, that were shown on the first pictures and do not look like Stacore ones. Will they be standard for all Horizon DACs?

Steve, I’ve noticed that your Horizon has some sort of new stock feet. They are different from the feet, that were shown on the first pictures and do not look like Stacore ones. Will they be standard for all Horizon DACs?
The stock feet on the Horizon are indeed different from the Stacore on the Pacific. I don't know if they are made by Stacore I am still using Center Stage CS2M size 1.5 under both DACS

Reactions: abeidrov
Side by side I actually think the Horizon does look slightly cooler.

I am liking the idea of two Nixie filament voltage displays for my build. Then again I think I said that ages ago. If you've gotta plan you owe it to yourself to try and make it real;)

A high density ebony or walnut box could also look pretty excellent. Better if done well.

The mind boggles...:)

Last edited:
Reactions: zitas
Steve, your system looks really cool. I am sorry we are being a pain in the ass. I REALLY appreciate all of your efforts to help us make the right decisions. I am excited to come and learn. I am not an audio technical geek but I do love to hear great-sounding music and I am not afraid to keep trying to find that special component. I hope Horizon is that piece.

Reactions: wisnon and zitas
The Horizon looks sublime sitting on that matching rack. Just enough difference to draw subtle attention and focus on it. And, we get a first look at the tubes installed. I'm sure LF had the Horizon (and tubes?) burned in before arriving. I'm waiting for your first impression after listening in your room...with the Lamms.
Actually the tube set I’m using is in post 44 of this thread. I found all of the tubes except the RK 5u4g shiv h I got with the Pacific. I wanted hours in these as the one a Lukasz sent me do have hours on then

Cam we compare with a bendix 6900 in the pacific as well Steve? That's what I have in mine and it sounds good.Not sure if same experience your end

Cam we compare with a bendix 6900 in the pacific as well Steve? That's what I have in mine and it sounds good.Not sure if same experience your end
How does the bendix compare to the stock anode tube in the Pac?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing