Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I did not say the topic wasn't important or interesting. I just don't feel a deep dive belongs in the thread about the new Horizon. I suggest you start a new thread to discuss it.
No. I only replied to one post, I know how dac works so i built my own.
Have fun with your (new) gear.

mr.gregdee

Oct 3, 2016
E.Sussex ,UK
gpoint-audio.com
Thanks for the picture! So, there are two I2S inputs. What is the difference between these 2 inputs? What are the examples of the music servers, that can be used with the I2S inputs?

Yes, as it was specified by LF in his post showing specs. I guess both are sharing parameters, but 2 different standards are expanding compatibility. There are some servers with I2s, Aqua or Wyred4Sound are 1st which are coming to my mind. But TBPH I am getting such a spectacular results with USB and selected SPDiF outputs, including Lampizator's own that I have no hunger to hunt I2s. Especially that I haven't heard one yet to challenge USB/SPDiF performance wise

Reactions: abeidrov

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Dusting off some tubes to try in the Horizon:

2021-12-06 15.48.43.jpg
2021-12-06 15.49.31.jpg 2021-12-06 15.53.36.jpg

mr.gregdee

Oct 3, 2016
E.Sussex ,UK
gpoint-audio.com

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-12-07 at 13.06.34.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-12-07 at 13.06.34.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 13

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Very nice selection Sir ;) Did you ever try the 6SN7s ancestors ? I mean L63 / 6J5s. Of course they are just half of the 6SN7 so you need a special dual adapter to fit 2 6J5s into one 6SN7 socket. Or double anode 7193 devils ;) Some pictures attached to teas ;)

I have not tried those tubes. As you said, it is more complicated since you need adapters and then have to fit the space.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I had no idea what a Nixie tube was. One of our members forwarded this to me in case I was interested.

Thanks, You can made wonderful clocks or for track and time in cd players with this ;)
Past-Indicator-Vostok-2-Black-Elmwood-Nixie-Clock-04.jpeg

Reactions: K3RMIT and LampiNA

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Thanks for the picture! So, there are two I2S inputs. What is the difference between these 2 inputs? What are the examples of the music servers, that can be used with the I2S inputs?
I2s over USB? I assume this is a prototype as it makes no sense, I2s is best over RJ45, secondly HDMI, but for best sonics RJ45 by Neutrik is the only way to go. Maybe Lukasz will offer this over USB to realise the potential? I'm interested to hear more about this implementation on this DAC as I think this is where many DAC's and users are missing out.

Ayon for one use I2s over RJ45, there is quite a long list in fact, and many also use HDMI now, but the problem with I2s is there is no pin out standard, so not all combinations will work together unless you order a bespoke I2s cable to marry the two specific pin outs. Of course this is not for the box swappers but for the long term users.. In addition Pink Faun produce a I2s PCie card for servers, which can be specced for whatever DAC pin input arrangement is required, see link below:

This would be my choice, without doubt.

BR,
Paul

Last edited:

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
I2s over USB? I assume this is a prototype as it makes no sense, I2s is best over RJ45, secondly HDMI, but for best sonics RJ45 by Neutrik is the only way to go. Maybe Lukasz will offer this over USB to realise the potential? I'm interested to hear more about this implementation on this DAC as I think this is where many DAC's and users are missing out.

Ayon for one use I2s over RJ45, there is quite a long list in fact, and many also use HDMI now, but the problem with I2s is there is no pin out standard, so not all combinations will work together unless you order a bespoke I2s cable to marry the two specific pin outs. Of course this is not for the box swappers but for the long term users.. In addition Pink Faun produce a I2s PCie card for servers, which can be specced for whatever DAC pin input arrangement is required, see link below:

This would be my choice, without doubt.

BR,
Paul
I never cease to be impressed by you Paul - that you went from being a cabinet maker (which is no mean artisinal achievement) to being something of an electronics wizz making your own cables and power regulators is deeply humbling!

Reactions: K3RMIT

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
That's very kind, but an electronics whizz might be overdoing it Greg! Much appreciated though..:)

Reactions: geetee1972

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Come Hear The West Coast Debut Of The Newly Released Lampizator Horizon

A Chance to Hear The Horizon and Meet Lukas Fikus (Master Yoda) And Fred Ainsley(LampiNA)

Feb 12, 13, 14 (although final dates to be determined)

over the past 6 months I have posted many times that I have reached the stage of my my system where I am finally playing my system to hear the music rather than playing the music to hear my system although I did say that I had 2 future upgrades to complete my system. Well not surprisingly I have purchased a Horizon and with the global launch of the product here at WBF I have been in contact with Fred and Lukasz for the past several months anticipating the release of the Horizon and getting to know quite a bit about the product. I have yet to announce the second piece of equipment that will be added and these two components should happily carry me off into the Horizon ( no pun intended)

To that extent I have been aware that Lukasz and Fred will be showing the Horizon at the Florida show in February. Well I would like to announce to alll who read this that I have encouraged Lukasz and Fred to come West first before the Florida show, as by that time, I will have my new Horizon with hopefully adequate tube burn in, such that I am going to open my house and my system to any and all interested who want to hear the Horizon in a well treated and set up room. Dates are still yet to be finalized but I am hoping Lukasz will arrive at my house on or before Friday Feb 11 and if so I will have an open house all day Feb 12 and Feb 13 as well as the evening of Feb 14

Although I have chosen which tubes I prefer Lukasz will be bringing a bag of tubes and we will hopefully have time to create a tube selection that will maximize the Horizon in my system As you all know I am not a tube roller. I prefer to seek the most natural sound and settle on that

So to all members and those reading this thread, this is an open invitation to all to come hear the Horizon at my house in my system and not have any worries about room issues at an audio show. Plus how much greater can it be to meet and hear Master Yoda , the brains behind it all, give personal demos. Also Fred will be hear as well. For those who don't know Fred, he is LampiNA here on WBF and is the USA distributor for the Lampizator products. Fred has helped me immensely in my Lampizator quest and he will be here as well for these day.

As I think about this post, I realize that this is actually more than the West Coast Debut of the Horizon but in all likelihood the USA and possibly even global debut. So to everyone reading, it's cheap to get here. Southwest Air into John Wayne Orange County Airport is the easiest. For those coming by car I am about 60 miles south got Los Angeles. I live in a guarded gate community so I am requesting that you contact me by PM so I can put names of attendees on the gate pass otherwise they will deny deny entry

Lukasz and Fred have been gracious to make this happen so I am hoping that those along the west coast and here in California will take the drive, have a listen and meet Lukas and Fred. I am very excited about this and I know Lukas and Fred feel the same.

I have a small listening room so I would prefer to give times for attendees so they can spend the most time listening. AsA Result I am posting this a few months early and I will give updates as we get closer but again this will be the big North American Debut

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Big big respect Steve! I’m sure you guys will have a blast of a time together!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Big big respect Steve! I’m sure you guys will have a blast of a time together!
This is a chance for you and Christoph to take a little trip ;)

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015

A Chance to Hear The Horizon and Meet Lukas Fikus (Master Yoda) And Fred Ainsley(LampiNA)

over the past 6 months I have posted many times that I have reached the stage of my my system where I am finally playing my system to hear the music rather than playing the music to hear my system although I did say that I had 2 future upgrades to complete my system. Well not surprisingly I have purchased a Horizon and with the global launch of the product here at WBF I have been in contact with Fred and Lukasz for the past several months anticipating the release of the Horizon and getting to know quite a bit about the product. I have yet to announce the second piece of equipment that will be added and these two components should happily carry me off into the Horizon ( no pun intended)

To that extent I have been aware that Lukasz and Fred will be showing the Horizon at the Florida show in February. Well I would like to announce to alll who read this that I have encouraged Lukasz and Fred to come West first before the Florida show, as by that time, I will have my new Horizon with hopefully adequate tube burn in, such that I am going to open my house and my system to any and all interested who want to hear the Horizon in a well treated and set up room. Dates are still yet to be finalized but I am hoping Lukasz will arrive at my house on or before Friday Feb 11 and if so I will have an open house all day Feb 12 and Feb 13 as well as the evening of Feb 14

Although I have chosen which tubes I prefer Lukasz will be bringing a bag of tubes and we will hopefully have time to create a tube selection that will maximize the Horizon in my system As you all know I am not a tube roller. I prefer to seek the most natural sound and settle on that

So to all members and those reading this thread, this is an open invitation to all to come hear the Horizon at my house in my system and not have any worries about room issues at an audio show. Plus how much greater can it be to meet and hear Master Yoda , the brains behind it all, give personal demos. Also Fred will be hear as well. For those who don't know Fred, he is LampiNA here on WBF and is the USA distributor for the Lampizator products. Fred has helped me immensely in my Lampizator quest and he will be here as well for these day.

As I think about this post, I realize that this is actually more than the West Coast Debut of the Horizon but in all likelihood the USA and possibly even global debut. So to everyone reading, it's cheap to get here. Southwest Air into John Wayne Orange County Airport is the easiest. For those coming by car I am about 60 miles south got Los Angeles. I live in a guarded gate community so I am requesting that you contact me by PM so I can put names of attendees on the gate pass otherwise they will deny deny entry

Lukasz and Fred have been gracious to make this happen so I am hoping that those along the west coast and here in California will take the drive, have a listen and meet Lukas and Fred. I am very excited about this and I know Lukas and Fred feel the same.

I have a small listening room so I would prefer to give times for attendees so they can spend the most time listening. AsA Result I am posting this a few months early and I will give updates as we get closer but again this will be the big North American Debut

A huge and heartfelt thank you to Steve for graciously opening his home to us for this event and allowing us to use his reference system.

We are beyond excited to launch this statement piece and look forward to meeting some of you in person!

We do plan on bringing some extra tubes to do some rolling at Stevens home, but non tube rollers can rest assured that this is just for fun and not necessity. The Horizon with stock tubes will already exceede what we believed possible.

Time to book my flights!

Fred A.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az

Steve
Wow, "I live in Arizona and was planning on flying to Tampa for the show. LA is a short 5 1/2 hour drive. The choices are great.

One question....will you be able to compare the Horizon to the Pacific? Or for that matter any other DAC? Or, will this strictly be the Horizon?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Steve, on acquiring the Horizon and on hosting this fun and exciting debut!

And congratulations to Lukasz and Fred!

Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jan 29, 2020
I saw many interesting posts about the i2s. Let me please go into details of this. i2s is a digital language through which the chips talk to each other on the PCB. It was not intended as a connection format. The use of i2S like a transmission format is a mistake of the industry. It is good for PCM, but at the same time useless for DSD. Many folks love DSD and they should stick to USB - the only format playing DSD properly. If you use i2S, the receiving part has no clue when to mute, because so called muting flags are missing. Consequently there may be big bangs in between format changes, foe example when clocks change, especially between the 44,1 and multiples and the 44 kHz and multiples. USB has embedded intelligence called firmware that can predict the bangs and mute them. i2S doesnt. We never experienced any SQ improvement in i2S versus good USB therefore i2S is not our format of choice. USB is. If your player knows when to mute i2S - be my guest and use it for PCM, it may be very good. RJ45 and HDMI are 100% equal in Sound quality, no difference at all. RJ45 cables can be hand made to any length, HDMI almost impossible to make unless "industral" machinery is used. Anyway, the sonic superiority of the Horizon over its competitors will be so vast, that the connection format will be completely unimportant. It will be like choosing tires for the Bugatti.

Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jan 29, 2020
Here is the final choice of colors for the chassis of the Horizon:
black mat (Black Hole )
charcoal Teflon (Sahara Night)
Translucent red (Soul Red)
BRG (British Racing Green) (remember old Jaguars and Minis?)
Stardust silver
Mat white (iceberg)
the top plate - covering the tube sockets - can also be pure natural copper, making gorgeous combination with the above, for example the famous Duracell.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing