LampizatOr Baltic 3

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Thinking out loud but if using rca outputs then only one half of the dual triode is needed. The l63 / 6j5g is half of a 6sn7 - wouldn’t it work ok without the (doubtless lossy) adapter for rca cable users?
interesting question.

I did this change, using only XLR outputs.

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
Thinking out loud but if using rca outputs then only one half of the dual triode is needed. The l63 / 6j5g is half of a 6sn7 - wouldn’t it work ok without the (doubtless lossy) adapter for rca cable users?

Good question Mark. I am interested to know as well. Btw, what adapters l63 <-> 6sn7 do I need ?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Good question Mark. I am interested to know as well. Btw, what adapters l63 <-> 6sn7 do I need ?

Subject to confirmation, you may not need any adapter as the l63 has the same octal pattern but doesn’t need to use all the pins, due to being single rather than dual triode. I just need the pin out to be confirmed. Even still, I am not assuming the l63 options will necessarily beat my melz 1578.

Reactions: Devg

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
interesting question.

I did this change, using only XLR outputs.
Is good to see you have a decent rectifier fitted but what are the 12au7? This is a sonically influential position however I suspect the e80cc will give you too much gain in xlr format. It overloads my Riviera integrated with balanced output.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Is good to see you have a decent rectifier fitted but what are the 12au7? This is a sonically influential position however I suspect the e80cc will give you too much gain in xlr format. It overloads my Riviera integrated with balanced output.
The 12AU7 position is not yet final. I have some Telefunken and Siemens to try out, on my last Baltic 3 the black Shuguang tubes were best on this position.

currently some simple but working Electro Harmonix are fitted.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
A little light reading on 6j5s

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
prefer to use a 6sn7 with a socket adapter, the gain is lower. compare ecc82 gain 17, e80cc gain 27 and 6sn7 gain 20. these adapters.
Be careful these are 6.3 v heating adapters you need to know what voltage is available in the baltic there are 12.6 v adapters outhere too

Miki70

Aug 17, 2018
Mérida, Yucatán. México
Hi Gents,

For those that are using HQPLAYER with your Baltic 3, would you kindly share what filters do you use or tried that have resulted in significant jump in sq for PCM mode or even SDM ?

Warm regards !

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is it possible to connect two sources — streamer and CD transport — to Lampizator DACs at the same time?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is it possible to connect two sources — streamer and CD transport — to Lampizator DACs at the same time?
Yes CD by SPDIF and streamer by USB

Reactions: Gjo and Ron Resnick

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
You can even hook up more than those 2 but in that case, I would advise you to buy the remote controllable version in order to not have to grab behind the DAC to manually switch inputs.

Reactions: Golum and Gjo

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
In addition to what has already been conveyed, if the DAC has the volume control/preamp option, then it is equipped with one set of RCA analog inputs, so an analog source can be connected...even a phono preamplifier.

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
The Bendix tube is quite "interesting" from a build perspective... (description and picture from tubedepot.com)

This is the world famous Bendix brand 6106 / 5Y3WGT tube type. Built like a tank, these tubes were built by Bendix for extreme conditions. They sound great and last forever.

The famous Bendix Red Bank vacuum tube factory made legendary tubes for military and aerospace applications. Their tubes were built to be the very best and were known to last many thousands of hours. These have rugged brown micanol bases, heavy glass, triple mica spacers and double D getters. Literally built to withstand the heavy g-forces of nuclear missiles, if you want the best, these are for you.

These tubes have the Double D Getters, 4 heavy support rods and Triple Micas.

1668679055168.png

there has been several nice and price worthy rectifiers mentioned here lately, and sometimes quite surprising what they can bring to the system. I've never felt that I want to stack up with tubes, but now I suddenly have a few that I don't really want to part with.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Already doing so for weeks…lets see what you’ll have to say about it:)
Within a few seconds of listening, it is clearly sufficiently articulate to go straight into the first quartile. Let’s see how things develop with burn in as it seems less musically compelling than the Brimar was when new.

31954B64-1933-4BED-AC58-9474AB72808F.jpeg

Munchoba

May 1, 2019
Brand new Baltic 3 owner here. Sold my dCS Bartok to see what the fuss was about.
Do we have to have written approval from Lampizator, as written in the manual, before rolling other tubes?
thx

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing