Lampizator Baltic 4

kairosman

Oct 12, 2020
Vancouver, Canada
Have had my Baltic 3/4 for awhile now and it just keeps improving - especially after swapping out all the tubes for what Lukasz recommended (listed as front to back):

Emission Labs EML274B
RCA VT99 6F8G with an adaptor to 6SN7
RCA 12BH7

Since swapping in these tubes the tonal density has become so lifelike, the soundstage dimensions so exploded that in the dark it's actually borderline spooky.

And this is in an largely untreated room, can't imagine what it would be like in a dedicated man cave, too bad there isn't a website I could buy one from lol.

Reactions: VoicesInMyHead

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
Have had my Baltic 3/4 for awhile now and it just keeps improving - especially after swapping out all the tubes for what Lukasz recommended (listed as front to back):

Emission Labs EML274B
RCA VT99 6F8G with an adaptor to 6SN7
RCA 12BH7

Since swapping in these tubes the tonal density has become so lifelike, the soundstage dimensions so exploded that in the dark it's actually borderline spooky.

And this is in an largely untreated room, can't imagine what it would be like in a dedicated man cave, too bad there isn't a website I could buy one from lol.
Humm... I didn't know about the EML274B,... Which also led me to the Sohoia Electric... Both are reasonable. I might have to try.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anyone have a bit of a ground hum on his/her Baltic 4? I am not seeing any ground lug on the Baltic 4.

If yes, how did you ameliorate it?

Thank you.

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
Has anyone tried the Emission Labs' 5U4G vs their 274B? I'm curious what the advantages / disadvantages are in those two options.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Has anyone tried the Emission Labs' 5U4G vs their 274B? I'm curious what the advantages / disadvantages are in those two options.
Yes, my thoughts are in the Baltic 3 thread if you search under my user name. The mesh 274b sounded better, top quartile of the @20 rectifiers I have tried.

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
I decided to try some RCA 12BH7s. It was that or Tung-Sol. I might pull the trigger on a SE 274B.

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
So it's 11 days.... I spent a bunch of time treating my room and measuring. I've tied speakers close and far from wall. Far feild/near field. Going strictly of measurements, close to the wall was good and it sounded good. Of course now... With as 3D and immersive the B4 is, I revisited all that.

Turns out it wasn't that good. Too toed in, and too close to wall kinda killed the top end. The stage is now even wider, and deeper, and more detail on top. Which fine, that's the room, I just didn't think it could get better. I don't think things have changed much last few days. A non-audiophile friend came over and I gave him a listen... He just giggled the whole time.. In plain disbelief.

I did get the RCA 12BH7s. I want to know what the larger tube does. I'm ever so slightly worried it might be too warm... But I also got the Sophie 274B Mesh plate which is a bit less warm... So we will see what that sounds like. I'm just so floored at how life like and 3D and anything that will supposedly improve that I'm curious about. Other than that, I don't see many more try-out. It's beyond amazing now.

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
So it's 11 days.... I spent a bunch of time treating my room and measuring. I've tied speakers close and far from wall. Far feild/near field. Going strictly of measurements, close to the wall was good and it sounded good. Of course now... With as 3D and immersive the B4 is, I revisited all that.

Turns out it wasn't that good. Too toed in, and too close to wall kinda killed the top end. The stage is now even wider, and deeper, and more detail on top. Which fine, that's the room, I just didn't think it could get better. I don't think things have changed much last few days. A non-audiophile friend came over and I gave him a listen... He just giggled the whole time.. In plain disbelief.

I did get the RCA 12BH7s. I want to know what the larger tube does. I'm ever so slightly worried it might be too warm... But I also got the Sophie 274B Mesh plate which is a bit less warm... So we will see what that sounds like. I'm just so floored at how life like and 3D and anything that will supposedly improve that I'm curious about. Other than that, I don't see many more try-out. It's beyond amazing now.
What measurements are you referring to, and what did they show for the first, close-wall position vs the second position moved out from the wall? How did you determine the LP?

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
I use REW. I didn't measure now, but before. My ceilings are 8ft. My room is basically 16x22... except with 4x10 taken by utility room. It's got a few problems but it is what it is. Listening area is covered with 12-18" of pink fluffy ceiling and walls. Back wall covered in 4" light mineral wool. So during all that tried every which way possible for speaker and sub placement and listening position... All with restrictions of what was possible with the room.

Big picture is upstairs would be better, but I would not be able to listen much. It all works and I'm happy. Downstairs all my reflections are gone. Only have floor left. Got rid of most bass nulls. It sounded good at the time, but now B4 image is so much better. I did some adjusting and improved image. I will probably measure tomorrow to see current setup. I have plenty of absorbtion for mid/upper... I mostly focused on 250 down for best integration with speakers and sub. And all the acoustic folks are like don't discount speakers close to walls with treatment... It did have good bass responce, but now image is much better with speakers about 2.5ft away.

Reactions: cdka

Miki70

Aug 17, 2018
Mérida, Yucatán. México
Which of these would you guys recommend most :

---NOS RCA USA 6F8G VT99 MATCHED PAIR Platinum Quality Amplitrex Tested Tubes 1968​

or

---Matched Pair RCA VT99 6F8 6F8G Vacuum Tubes Valves NOS NIB Milspec Gray Glass 6SN7 Substitute With Adapters​

Im also using the RCA 12BH7s "Grey plates" on my Baltic3/4, want to try the RCA 12BH7 Black Plates D-Getter,

1679863686557.png

1679863640825.png

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I would look these up on tube museum for specs
I’ve used all but if I recall the vt99 has less gain but this is memory
As for sound the vt99 is warm of neutral
The various versions of the vt99 all sound similar and warm
But do have tube magic
various 6sn7 tubes have large sound changes from warm to neutral
now this was trialed on more then one Lampi dac as well as headphone amps.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
sorry they are the same I have some
Of these. I have a few brands and rebrands
but to me 6sn7 are more neutral in some brands. many have done shootouts on 6sn7 tubes to me
Only a handful sound great
Woo audio has some nos for sale
nos I feel
Need to me new nos in boxes after this you need a tester to confirm and even then it’s tough. any new or nos should be broken in slowly and very low volume till it breaks in pings and pongs can be very loud

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
I use REW. I didn't measure now, but before. My ceilings are 8ft. My room is basically 16x22... except with 4x10 taken by utility room. It's got a few problems but it is what it is. Listening area is covered with 12-18" of pink fluffy ceiling and walls. Back wall covered in 4" light mineral wool. So during all that tried every which way possible for speaker and sub placement and listening position... All with restrictions of what was possible with the room.

Big picture is upstairs would be better, but I would not be able to listen much. It all works and I'm happy. Downstairs all my reflections are gone. Only have floor left. Got rid of most bass nulls. It sounded good at the time, but now B4 image is so much better. I did some adjusting and improved image. I will probably measure tomorrow to see current setup. I have plenty of absorbtion for mid/upper... I mostly focused on 250 down for best integration with speakers and sub. And all the acoustic folks are like don't discount speakers close to walls with treatment... It did have good bass responce, but now image is much better with speakers about 2.5ft away.
Thanks Powerman. Interesting approach you've taken. Apart from a dedicated LR, most of us have room anomalies, especially problems with dimensional asymmetry (and aesthetics, of course). I'm curious to learn whether you tried diffusion to supplement/augment the current treatment scheme.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: Miki70

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I just replaced the blue ball tubes with RCA black plate 6SN7 GTs. I have not compared them sonically.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
As for sound the vt99 is warm of neutral
The various versions of the vt99 all sound similar and warm
Exactly my experience, but in the Horizon

jadedavid

Dec 13, 2022
Generally RCA's do produce a warmer sound. This may work well in some systems.
Either pair of the 6F8G's that you are looking at should work for you.
"VT's" are military rated tubes and have been tested to higher standards that the more common consumer tubes.
I was surprised to see the 6F8G's with a 1968 date as I didn't know that they were still being produced at that late a period of time.
However both the boxes and the orange/red lettering on the tube do indicate later manufacturing.
Between the two, I would choose the grey glass version as they are Milspec "VT" tubes. The others are not "VT" tubes.
IMO I have found that the earlier tubes (in general) seem to have better tone than more recent production NOS tubes.
Things were changing to Solid State and QC in the tube mfg side were starting to slip.

Reactions: Miki70

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing