Lampizator Baltic 4

jadedavid

Dec 13, 2022
Does the B4 require a powered USB cable?
Or can I use a non powered version?

roadCingKlassik

Jan 4, 2020
The mesh 274b sounded better, top quartile of the @20 rectifiers I have tried.

Based on your past detailed posts . . . I trust your ears

These are available to me, should I bother to consider any of them? They are very inexpensive and microphonic testing is NOT available . . . doh !

Thanks in Advance Mark

1) $15 5Y3G RCA coke bottle shaped: 1600/1800
2) $15 5Y3WGTA JAN Hytron Brown base/extra supports 2000/2151
3) $15 5Y3WGTA JAN CBS Brown base/extra supports 2050/2150
4) $10 5Y3GT RCA 1950/2000
5) $10 5Y3GT JAN National Union (RCA markings) 1800/1900
6) $10 5Y3GT Eico (RCA markings) 1800/1800
7) $10 5Y3GT Ge (RCA markings)1750/1800

I'd love a 274B mesh . . . but that's a little $$

Reactions: Miki70

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
@roadCingKlassik - the baltic 3/4 are capable of exceptional performance with a carefully selected tube set. I have probably spent its list price in the past year evaluating options and feel that a total spend of @500 could assemble a superb combination. Everything I have tried, I have written about in the Baltic 3 thread though I haven’t listened to any of the USA ones you have listed.

The past several months have seen me try about a dozen 4 volt rectifiers from ww2 era or older. There are some gems there for not much money - the Valvo rgn1064 / az1 mesh globe is one of the best rectifiers I have heard in Baltic, irrespective of cost. You could try combining that with say rca 6f8g / Sylvania 7n7 and Tungsram ecc40 for a great combination. All will need suitable adapters though.

Last edited:

Agent86

Sep 6, 2020
Received my Baltic 4 on Thursday, so about 75 hours in.

Using my my EML in place of the stock rectifier, and have tried various combinations of the stock tubes (6SN7 = Linai; 12HB7 = Psvane) and my NOS valves from the Baltic 3 (Melz, KenRad, Sylvania for 6SN7 and Mazda, RCA, Telefunken for the 12AU7). Thus far, I gotta say the EML rectifier + the stock Chinese tubes makes for a very "pleasant" combination with the right amount of punch. Admittedly, it's not the final word on detail, but the stock tubes on the B4 sound much better than the shipped set I had on the Baltic 3 (Blue "boys" + Russian Mullards). And the B4 sounds better (to me) with the Chinese tubes than with any of the NOS combos I've tried--thus far. Obviously, as Sablon mentions above, it's a challenging process of trying to find the right combination of NOS tubes that harmonize the sound for the DAC alone as well as in the context of an entire audio system.

Question: Are there any NOS tubes that are recommended for the B3 that won't work because of any changes Lampi made to the B4? I haven't yet tried my Tungsram E80cc. Has anyone swapped in E80cc tubes for the 12BH7s? Thanks all!

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
I run real 3-hole 52 Bad boys. They sound fantastic especially with all other tube upgrades.

I managed to score some Mullard ECC32s... Meh. Nothing special. Not bad, just not better. I put some Brimmar CV-1988s in... Very close to the Sylvania. A little disappointed, I've heard such great things. Put some time on them, nothing. Make my mind up to move the Mullards keep the Brimmar simply based on my preferences.

But I noticed some spots forming above the heating elements... Like flashing. Wasn't there before. Long story short, they had zero hours on them, not even burned in. Put more time on them.... Oh... They're special alright. They have that Signature Mullard bottom end, but calling them warm would be a disservice. I think the top end is better, certainly more refined. Stage and space are better. What a fantastic tube... That I nearly moved. And it's not my imagination, when I first plugged them in, they sounded good, but a clear step back. My bad boys are spares now. They are more mid forward, more in your face, in a good way. More pop. They really are very good top to bottom. Not going anywhere.

I put more time on the Brimmars... Those too had hardly no time on them. They developed spots too, but not to same extent. They did get better. I still consider them equal to the Sylvania. But where they shine is they are not in your face, but they are more accurate. They almost make the Sylvania sound colored. Very transparent top to bottom. Very easy to listen too. I just don't need all three. The last piece to my puzzle. Some one should enjoy them, they look fresh from the factory. PM me, they are available.

Then... A while back, I got a pair of 12BH7 Sylvania oval plates to try. Clear step back compared to my Mazda ladder plate 12AU7s. Love those Mazdas. Well those 12BH7s were up for sale, but not anymore. I put more time on those... Which I did before... A day or two... But I tried them for giggles, they were not bad. With more time, I think they equal my Mazdas for sure. I give the win to the 12BH7s by a hair. I think stage and space is better with the oval plates. So now my Mazdas are back to spares for my amp. And I think I picked up a bit of volume which is always good.

I just never assume NOS means not used. All my other tubes have never changed with any burn in. But then I would have made a big mistake. Even more real, more space, that incredible Mullard bottom end. So easy to listen to. So pleasing. Stopped comparing and j7ust listened to stuff for another hour. I'm officially done

Last edited:

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
Received my Baltic 4 on Thursday, so about 75 hours in.

Using my my EML in place of the stock rectifier, and have tried various combinations of the stock tubes (6SN7 = Linai; 12HB7 = Psvane) and my NOS valves from the Baltic 3 (Melz, KenRad, Sylvania for 6SN7 and Mazda, RCA, Telefunken for the 12AU7). Thus far, I gotta say the EML rectifier + the stock Chinese tubes makes for a very "pleasant" combination with the right amount of punch. Admittedly, it's not the final word on detail, but the stock tubes on the B4 sound much better than the shipped set I had on the Baltic 3 (Blue "boys" + Russian Mullards). And the B4 sounds better (to me) with the Chinese tubes than with any of the NOS combos I've tried--thus far. Obviously, as Sablon mentions above, it's a challenging process of trying to find the right combination of NOS tubes that harmonize the sound for the DAC alone as well as in the context of an entire audio system.

Question: Are there any NOS tubes that are recommended for the B3 that won't work because of any changes Lampi made to the B4? I haven't yet tried my Tungsram E80cc. Has anyone swapped in E80cc tubes for the 12BH7s? Thanks all!
I run Sophia 274B mesh in mine which was definitely more detailed than the JAN RCA 5R4GY. I love my Mazdas in my amp... Preamp actually. Very good in the B4 (12AU7). The Sylv 12BH7 black oval plates are a bit better. But it is true what Lampi says... The outputs do not make a big impact on the sound.

roadCingKlassik

Jan 4, 2020
The past several months have seen me try about a dozen 4 volt rectifiers from ww2 era or older. There are some gems there for not much money - the Valvo rgn1064 / az1 mesh globe is one of the best rectifiers I have heard in Baltic, irrespective of cost. You could try combining that with say rca 6f8g / Sylvania 7n7 and Tungsram ecc40 for a great combination. All will need suitable adapters though.
Another good tip! Thanks Mark

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Agent86

Sep 6, 2020
There seemed to be some glare associated with the EML 274b, so I swapped back in the factory Shuguang rectifier. Hence, going with all the stock Chinese-made tubes at the moment. I'l need to let the rectifier burn in, but definitely much smoother than the EML, albeit with loss of soundstage. I've got a Sophia Aqua 274 on order as well as some NOS Sylvania 12BH7s. so we'll see where that get us.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Can the B4 run 5AR4 rectifiers without any mods? Would it be benificial?
According to Lukasz Fikus, every (modern) Lampi DAC can be used with every 5 Volt recti, iIrc.

Just checked, 5AR4 = GZ34, so a definite yes to using 5AR4 in any Lampi DAC.

Reactions: Powerman

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
You're welcome.
Which 5AR4 tube do you have in mind?
I went with a friend to buy a Lampi from a seller. Well... He has quite the collection of gear and tubes. He was extolling the virtues of running. 5AR4 over others. I'm ruling a Sophia 274B mesh now. I was just curious. He is in love with the Mullard/Japanese ones and they are not Uber expensive.

Reactions: christoph

Agent86

Sep 6, 2020
There seemed to be some glare associated with the EML 274b, so I swapped back in the factory Shuguang rectifier. Hence, going with all the stock Chinese-made tubes at the moment. I'l need to let the rectifier burn in, but definitely much smoother than the EML, albeit with loss of soundstage. I've got a Sophia Aqua 274 on order as well as some NOS Sylvania 12BH7s. so we'll see where that get us.
As a follow-up,: what I'm finding in all the tube rolling is that the EML 274b is an excellent rectifier but should probably not be paired with 12BH7 tubes--at least in my system. The The EML is a very forward and detailed tube. That, in conjunction with the extra voltage supplied by the 12BH7s and the presentation was was too dynamic and punchy. I tried other rectifiers but with little success, as the soundstage completely flattened. In general, something didn't sound right with the B4, even I rolled in other 12BH7 tubes (RCA and Sylvania NOS) in place of the stock Psvane.

Finally, I decided to swap in 12AU7 tubes instead, and voila, I was hearing a much more balanced sound profile. Once the B4 had burned in, the tube line up I had previously used from the B3 sounds spectacular on the B4. Plenty of punch without being overbearing.

EML 274b
Melz 6H8C
Telefunken 12AU7

The experimentation will continue, but this is a. handy reference point.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
@Agent86 - if you like the EML274b, you will love the valvo globe mesh az1/rgn1064. This is where I started my journey into the pre ww2 4 volt rectifiers and still find it hard to beat on Baltic.

Electrically, these models are identical but have different socket formats. I would recommend the rgn1064 as it is the earlier of the two and suggest you look out for the wide silver mesh iteration with vertical support rod between the two plates.

Agent86

Sep 6, 2020
@Agent86 - if you like the EML274b, you will love the valvo globe mesh az1/rgn1064. This is where I started my journey into the pre ww2 4 volt rectifiers and still find it hard to beat on Baltic.

Electrically, these models are identical but have different socket formats. I would recommend the rgn1064 as it is the earlier of the two and suggest you look out for the wide silver mesh iteration with vertical support rod between the two plates.

Thank you, Sablon!

Based on the recommendation you made a few posts back, I did order a Valvo rgn1064 and am awaiting its arrival from overseas. Not sure if it's the exact version you suggested, but it does look rather formidable and my apartment is surely better protected by its presence :). Also ordered a a pair of 7n7's and the necessary adapters for them and the rectifier. Again, thanks for the amazing work you've done experimenting with tube combinations and, at this point, Lampi should rename the dac as "Baltic TRP."

1689090744247.png

Miki70

Aug 17, 2018
Mérida, Yucatán. México
My Baltic 3/4 has never sounded this good, rolling tubes can get a bit frustrating sometimes but then it pays BIG TIME:

I was using until last week:

- VALVO AZ1 140NG WE54TUBE MESH PLATES BIG BULB GLOBE 1930's
- MATCHED PAIR RCA 12BH7 Black Plates D Getter VACUUM TUBES Tested NOS 8.5866-D
- RCA 6SN7/VT231(6F8G+converter), 1940s , USA made! WB

Same time that I purchased the RCAs 6SN7/VT231(6F8G+converter), I asked Rob from LampizatorNA which input tubes he could suggest that fits with my Baltic and he kindly suggested a pair of very reasonable priced AliExpress Chinese Shuguang 50 Years Treasure CV181-Z.

honestly after installing the RCAs I was thinking the Treasures won't even come close and boy I was wrong, more complete and balanced presentation no matter genre.

- VALVO AZ1 140NG WE54TUBE MESH PLATES BIG BULB GLOBE 1930's
- MATCHED PAIR RCA 12BH7 Black Plates D Getter VACUUM TUBES Tested NOS 8.5866-D
- Shuguang 50 Years Treasure CV181-Z

Give them a try :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_4528.JPG
    IMG_4528.JPG
    583.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4529.JPG
    IMG_4529.JPG
    704.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4530.JPG
    IMG_4530.JPG
    836.3 KB · Views: 17

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
@Miki70 - I had the original Shuguang Black Treasure cv181 @15 years ago and they were very good, up there with some of the better USA nos 6sn7. Try changing the 12bh7 for early tungsram foil getter ecc40, that may make a bigger impact.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing