Lampizator Baltic 4

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
Thanks Powerman. Interesting approach you've taken. Apart from a dedicated LR, most of us have room anomalies, especially problems with dimensional asymmetry (and aesthetics, of course). I'm curious to learn whether you tried diffusion to supplement/augment the current treatment scheme.
So I did a bunch of research on gearspace. I don't do any production but that seems to be the most discussed acoustics around. Along the whole long wall was a fireplace and built in bookcase. The gsrage is on other side so of course it isn't just a room, it's trafficked to go out. So I can't do anything to bookcase which is like diffusion. I can't do anything to utility space. The hallway goes to other bedrooms. The answer is I wanted as much absorbsion as I could do and figure there is enough diffusion left over. It is very difficult to absorb low frequencies in small rooms and the most effective is thick fluffy fiberglass. I basically have 12" in ceiling because I couldn't do more, and 18" on side walls. The back wall has panels I can move but it's basically covered. There is other stuff that is more or less diffusing. I could have done the back ceiling as well but didn't think it would add much and that is a bigger PITA.

After I got done, there is now other stull added back in like furniture that reflects The thing is though me personally, I have no issues with a dead room as some say. I wish I could cover an entire room with 2 foot and have a huge 4 foot bass trap. It is not off putting to me. And at that time, if it was, adding diffusion in would be simple.

The end result is I really like how it sounds.There is certainly no flutter. First reflections are handled. Only floors left which is carpeted concrete. It cleaned up bass responce down to 100hz at least and placement fixed other problems.

No before it still sounded like a small room. It was not big and open. Adjusting my speakers now improved image. A little bigger and more open. Kind of focused it more into a whole picture instead of zoomed in parts. The DAC makes it huge.... I went as far as I could go... Speakers 3 foot into room close to side walls and LP as far back as possible for triangle... Yes it was bigger so to speak... But really like sitting farther back in venue. The sweet spot for me now adds an intamacy, immediacy that I have grown to like. It's now with speakers 3 feet from wall and a 6ft EQ triangle toed in about half way between straight and pointed at me. Great image, intimate, and I don't have to turn up as much. I was always interested in near field but that is totally done now. I can listen loud enough for me without irritating other up stairs too much. It's as good as it is going to get for me.

I never did movable box positioned behind.
listening room 2 (1).jpg
20221205_161738.jpg 20221114_165854.jpg

Reactions: tinkerphile

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
Exactly which ones did you get?

How do they compare sonically to the stock tubes?
Just some 40s-50s super line from VTS. I've never bought from him before so I thought I'd give him a go. I don't have them. He said he is all caught up so he should be able to get those to me in 2-3-4 weeks.

I'll let you know next month. :)

Last edited:

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
So I did a bunch of research on gearspace. I don't do any production but that seems to be the most discussed acoustics around. Along the whole long wall was a fireplace and built in bookcase. The gsrage is on other side so of course it isn't just a room, it's trafficked to go out. So I can't do anything to bookcase which is like diffusion. I can't do anything to utility space. The hallway goes to other bedrooms. The answer is I wanted as much absorbsion as I could do and figure there is enough diffusion left over. It is very difficult to absorb low frequencies in small rooms and the most effective is thick fluffy fiberglass. I basically have 12" in ceiling because I couldn't do more, and 18" on side walls. The back wall has panels I can move but it's basically covered. There is other stuff that is more or less diffusing. I could have done the back ceiling as well but didn't think it would add much and that is a bigger PITA.

After I got done, there is now other stull added back in like furniture that reflects The thing is though me personally, I have no issues with a dead room as some say. I wish I could cover an entire room with 2 foot and have a huge 4 foot bass trap. It is not off putting to me. And at that time, if it was, adding diffusion in would be simple.

The end result is I really like how it sounds.There is certainly no flutter. First reflections are handled. Only floors left which is carpeted concrete. It cleaned up bass responce down to 100hz at least and placement fixed other problems.

No before it still sounded like a small room. It was not big and open. Adjusting my speakers now improved image. A little bigger and more open. Kind of focused it more into a whole picture instead of zoomed in parts. The DAC makes it huge.... I went as far as I could go... Speakers 3 foot into room close to side walls and LP as far back as possible for triangle... Yes it was bigger so to speak... But really like sitting farther back in venue. The sweet spot for me now adds an intamacy, immediacy that I have grown to like. It's now with speakers 3 feet from wall and a 6ft EQ triangle toed in about half way between straight and pointed at me. Great image, intimate, and I don't have to turn up as much. I was always interested in near field but that is totally done now. I can listen loud enough for me without irritating other up stairs too much. It's as good as it is going to get for me.

I never did movable box positioned behind.
View attachment 106710
View attachment 106711 View attachment 106712
Well, you've done a lot of planning, adjustments, listening and re-listening, constructing and fabricating and moreover, you've created a space you like, right? So that's great...and inexpensive. Much more satisfying, at least I would think. So glad you didn't think you needed an active carbon wall/ceiling and the money it costs. In the future, you may be inclined to revisit the diffusion element. Diffusion panels can be placed over/in front of absorption treatment, so don't think with treatment types it is either/or - - it's both and whenever needed. Don't confuse reflections (whether flat surfaces or bookcases) with diffusion and scattering done properly - - not even close. But for now, you've gotten off to a great start.

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
Well, you've done a lot of planning, adjustments, listening and re-listening, constructing and fabricating and moreover, you've created a space you like, right? So that's great...and inexpensive. Much more satisfying, at least I would think. So glad you didn't think you needed an active carbon wall/ceiling and the money it costs. In the future, you may be inclined to revisit the diffusion element. Diffusion panels can be placed over/in front of absorption treatment, so don't think with treatment types it is either/or - - it's both and whenever needed. Don't confuse reflections (whether flat surfaces or bookcases) with diffusion and scattering done properly - - not even close. But for now, you've gotten off to a great start.
Yes, I definitely like it. And yes, reflections and diffusion are not the same. I'm open to it. Maybe later when I have more time. Doing what I did was a lot at the time. I reached the tolerance level of my family members. :)

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
My Sophie 274B mesh landed today. Pretty interesting. Straight out of the box it doesn't sound worse than the JAN RCA 5R4GY that was in there. More bass is most noticeable. I don't want to say it sounds bigger as in stage, but everything sounds much weightier. That's hour .5. We'll see how it progresses next couple days.

20230330_172316.jpg

Last edited:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Does anyone have a bit of a ground hum on his/her Baltic 4? I am not seeing any ground lug on the Baltic 4.

If yes, how did you ameliorate it?

Thank you.
Hi Ron, my Baltic 4 recently arrived and I have no noise issues are present. Did your problem resolve?

Reactions: christoph

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Our Baltic 4 had/has some ground hum through one speaker channel. It was audible when feeding the amp direct (no preamp to isolate) when using a few different IC’s I tried, all SE. They were Shunyata Sigma v2, Shunyata Alpha v2, and a generic. However, using a preamp with output transformers eliminated the hum. Also, running Into an integrated amp eliminated the hum. Head scratcher. Used all manner of cheater plugs, same electrical circuit, etc. too. It’s now fine in its final resting spot so I stopped worrying about it.

The Horizon used in exactly the same manner does not hum through the speakers.

Reactions: christoph

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
So I have 100 hours on my Sophie 274B. I'll leave it on for the next week. I put my NOS back in and then swapped rectifiers. What I know is the JAN RCA 5R4GY is clearly better than the stock tube. The rest are the PSvane, but I am not entirely sure stock rectifier is new production. Looks old... Regardless, my new NOS is definitely better. I can't exactly say the new 274B is clearly better than the RCA NOS. It is better. Maybe not as pronounced as I thought. Everything just has more weight, presence, air. It's not that is has way better resolution, or stage, extension... It's just better.

The real take away for me is the old assumption that no new production Chinese tube will ever beat NOS is not true in this case. It is clearly equal a very solid NOS tube. It is not less than in any regard, and betters it in a few. I don't need to gush to say that it has been a very positive try for this tube. Bass is even more extended. Treble has even more clarity and air. Nuance, texture, feel... All better. Simply even more engaging and organic which I didn't think was possible. So far it's a keeper. I'll probably get a spare. I'll still have to decide that after a week.

But now that it has gotten favorable reviews from many that have good gear and tubes... And that I have read similar about their EL34s... I'm even more interested to give them a try. I have all Mullard Xf2s. I just want what sounds best. My buddy needs 8 for his Prima Luna so that would be cool.

Reactions: Miki70

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
What a trip... So 10 days. Done. I get it fired up, just blown away. Like what happened? It was holographic before, now it's like 5X. Kinda so much it's almost weird.

Put my RCA 5R4 back in... There's that incredible holography. Like more than I remember. Meaning I had my Lampi long enough I was getting used to it. Still incredible, but becoming "normal" for me. Now it's like "better". Did my DAC get better with the added hours... IDK? Even still, the 5R4 is just smaller in every way compared to the Sophie 274B. The 5R4 is cleaner, more accurate, but Sophie Mesh just MORE everywhere.

Can't be real.. Put the 274B Mesh back in... Bingo... Now I get it...

Before the Baltic 4, everything was like watching a concert or band on TV. 2D. Litterally, a picture. The only dimension was width, left to right. The B4 put me in the studio, in the concert hall. A 3D space. It's that profound.

With my NOS tubes, everything has depth, weight, texture, feel. The difference with the JAN RCA 5R4, and the Sophie 274B Mesh is where you are in the space. The 5R4 is thinner, smaller, more pinpoint... It is in the back of the studio, in front of the 2nd section. The Sophie is in front of the band... On front row. Not more forward... No. Everything is bigger in space, occupies more space, has more texture, more feel... Less overlap, less blending and homogony... It's not better or worse technically, it is litterally a matter of distance from the performance. What a trip!

Getting comfortable listening to some favorite female performers... London Grammar "Interlude" and Agnes Obel "The Curse"... Just get lost in every note, completely immersed. A lot of you guys are way beyond my system... But this is the best I have ever heard anywhere. It's just mind blowing what the B4 brings to the table, and what it is capable of with the right tubes. I'm just in awe.

The Sophie mesh is definitely a keeper BTW.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Still no news from Ron on how this DAC sounds, hope he's not one of those 'I don't do negative reviews' types...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Still no news from Ron on how this DAC sounds, hope he's not one of those 'I don't do negative reviews' types...

Not true!

I posted on my system thread that I think the Baltic 4 sounds great! I have no other DAC in-house to compare it to.

I can't explain it, but, for whatever reason, Lampizator DACs just seem to work for me. I have been able to listen fairly contentedly to digital in every system in which the DAC has been a Lampizator.

Further, I think the Baltic 4 is an amazing sound quality per dollar value for the asking price. I have a general of view that I prefer to listen to digital recordings on digital playback systems. Using digital recordings (Sarah McLachlan Surfacing, Jennifer Warnes Famous Blue Raincoat, London Grammar, Chainsmokers, Lewis Capaldi) in level-matched, on the fly, A/B comparisons between the Baltic 4 and the Denon/Hana SL I generally prefer the Baltic 4.

I have been talking with pk_LA and at some point I expect I'll bring my Baltic 4 over to his house for a direct A/B comparison with his MSB Select II. (And, no, I do not expect a first round knockout by the MSB.)

Last edited:

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
Is there any issue running Mullard ECC32s on Baltic 4? I see others run them on B3 and others.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Is there any issue running Mullard ECC32s on Baltic 4? I see others run them on B3 and others.
They work just fine in ours. They are the best sounding of what I have. I’m pretty sure this is factory approved.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have been talking with pk_LA and at some point I expect I'll bring my Baltic 4 over to his house for a direct A/B comparison with his MSB Select II. (And, no, I do not expect a first round knockout by the MSB.)
Uth Owe, could this be misconstrued as a DAC shootout.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Thank you. I hope the hype is real. It's an expensive try.
Yep, getting more expensive every day. Can't say they are the value leader. Not sure what is. Many reasonable options are mentioned elsewhere - Linlai e 6sn7, Sophia 6sn7, Shuguang BT cv-181, etc.

The Lampizator Poland website mentions the cv-181-t as being an acceptable option in the Baltic 4, on the web page.

SPECIFICATIONS
PCM 760 kHz, DSD x512, fully balanced from input to output (SPDIF is limited to 192kHz)
Output impedance 300 ohm per phase
Output level: 3 Vpp
Operating systems: USB input is compatible with Windows, Linux and MAC
Tube Compliment: 2 pieces of 12BH7 (or ECC82), 2 pieces of 6SN7-BE, (or CV181-T or 6H8C or 6SN7GT)

one rectifier DHD : 5U4G or 274B or 5C3S or 5Y3 or GZ37 or 5R4WGB.
Standard front panel is : Powdercoat Structural Matt Black, also available Sahara Silver, Anodized Black, Anodizes Alu Silver

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
Yep, getting more expensive every day. Can't say they are the value leader. Not sure what is. Many reasonable options are mentioned elsewhere - Linlai e 6sn7, Sophia 6sn7, Shuguang BT cv-181, etc.

The Lampizator Poland website mentions the cv-181-t as being an acceptable option in the Baltic 4, on the web page.

SPECIFICATIONS
PCM 760 kHz, DSD x512, fully balanced from input to output (SPDIF is limited to 192kHz)
Output impedance 300 ohm per phase
Output level: 3 Vpp
Operating systems: USB input is compatible with Windows, Linux and MAC
Tube Compliment: 2 pieces of 12BH7 (or ECC82), 2 pieces of 6SN7-BE, (or CV181-T or 6H8C or 6SN7GT)

one rectifier DHD : 5U4G or 274B or 5C3S or 5Y3 or GZ37 or 5R4WGB.
Standard front panel is : Powdercoat Structural Matt Black, also available Sahara Silver, Anodized Black, Anodizes Alu Silver
See, I was new to 6SN7... Now it's the whole ECC31/32/33. I've seen the 181 treasures... No clue... Are there any good new production better than NOS?

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
I'm going to show my ignorance, but I don't get the tube circuit of the B4. I get the rectifier, but the 6SN7, and 12BH7... What is what? Output, driver, power? And why do you need 4 for balanced?

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
The output of the B4 is two-stage balanced - 6sn7 drives 12BH7. Each of these tubes are twin triode, or two stages in one tube. So for one of the channels, say the right channel, the 6sn7 as driver amplifies both the + and the - phases of the balanced signal with its two symmetrical gain stages. The same thing happens in the 12BH7 downstream from the 6sn7.

Historically, the predecessor of the 6sn7 was the 6J5. Essentially, the 6sn7 is two 6J5‘s in one compact glass envelope.

Ever get those ECC32 to work?

Reactions: msimanyi

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
The output of the B4 is two-stage balanced - 6sn7 drives 12BH7. Each of these tubes are twin triode, or two stages in one tube. So for one of the channels, say the right channel, the 6sn7 as driver amplifies both the + and the - phases of the balanced signal with its two symmetrical gain stages. The same thing happens in the 12BH7 downstream from the 6sn7.

Historically, the predecessor of the 6sn7 was the 6J5. Essentially, the 6sn7 is two 6J5‘s in one compact glass envelope.

Ever get those ECC32 to work?
Thank you! As dumb as it sounds, I think smaller drives bigger hence the confusion. The twin triode part and where the 6SN7 came from I at least have read about. So for the 12BH7,it makes much more sense that bigger plates would be much better... But going from my Mazda 12AU7 to some Sylv oval plate 12BH7 is a clear step back in my case. I mean clear.

I am selling those, but not much demand. I will try again with my new stuff that should show up tomorrow... Some Brimar 1988s... And another pair of Mullard ECC32s. I had a chance to get both in good shape for reasonable money so I had to find out. We'll see. Maybe eith is better, and I'll have to try the oval plates out again with them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing