LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Shredder

Feb 21, 2017
Ahhh, I am talking about the Russian Gold Lions. I think that Golums summary of various tubes was also referring to the Gold Lions. His fave along with the Brimar before he heard the GEC KY66.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Ahhh, I am talking about the Russian Gold Lions. I think that Golums summary of various tubes was also referring to the Gold Lions. His fave along with the Brimar before he heard the GEC KY66.
In my experience with different amps, the Gold Lions are some of the best new production tubes out there. I just tend to slightly prefer vintage GEC, but they are much more expensive and harder to find. Disclaimer: I haven’t tried KT66 or the TRP amp yet.

Shredder

Feb 21, 2017
Hmmmm, so, tube rolling experts, which two of the following would you recommend: Gold Lion KT 77, Gold Lion KT66, EH 6CA7, or something else? Thanks.

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
I have the Gold Lion KT77 and they are definetly a good choice compared to the Svetlana EL34 delivered as standard tubes. But the GEC KT66 let the Sun really shine. So the Gold Lion KT66 maybe in the same range of KT77, I cannot comment on the EH 6CA7.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I’ve heard TRP in my system as well as in systems of several HiFi buddies with majority of the tubes mentioned here. We raved about specific el34 at the beginning of the TRP journey but as the experiance accumulated via tube rolling, several different types stood out as good/great options and all of them are mentioned here. NOS GEC being on top of the food chain (and possibly the most expensive one with metal base el34) and below it EH 6ca7, Brimar 6L6, and new production KT66. Unfortunately buddy of mine, who tried huge amount of different options (different versions of KT66, many different el34, KT77, KT120, 6L6, 6ca7,...) is not a part of this forum so in several posts i posted his detailed opinion on certain types/producers to increase the knowledge base. Let me just say that after all he stopped on GEC KT66 as for him this is a holy grail. As many times said, this needs to be used purely as guideline.
Recti tubes wise - top of the food chain belongs to RK 5u4g but based on the Als experiance USAF 596 recti is also somewhere there. In case you can’t lay hands on 596 smaller brother JAN 1641 is also super good.
Keep rolling guys, enjoy the journey, report back and have a blast with this fantastic DAC! ;):cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Monsterzero

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I’ll just do the copy paste report from my buddy:
“Tested the GEC KT66 in the TRP today. Already when inserting them in the socket you realize that these two things are made for each other. Just with a little bit of pressure, the tubes are fully inserted into the socket without this woggling needed with almost any other tube. Once you start the music this is confirmed and the real magic happens.
These tubes are absolutely phenomenal. Up to today I have not heard any other tube that is doing so many things so right. The treble and midrange are of incredible quality. There is this etheral magic in the room with so much space and air inbetween the elements. The soundstage is bigger (especially height) than with any other tube. The timbre is spot-on so that it is almost spooky at times. The sibliants are never annoying. There are more details than with any other tube (except maybe the Genalex KT77 which is at the same level). The details are presented in a natural and non-annoying way without being too analytical or losing the sense for the big picture resp. the music. Except maybe with bad recordings.
What’s there not to like? Almost nothing. Maybe there are tubes with a little more bass (i.e. the Genalex KT88) or tubes with a fuller sound and a warmer midrange (i.e. the Tube Town KT66). But if you sum it all up this is the best tube I have heard so far. Maybe the biggest downside is that the whole tube rolling fun with the TRP is almost over knowing that it will be very difficult for any tube out there to beat the GEC KT66.”
“I like Tube town kt66 a lot for its full sound and warm midrange. But there you lose details, clarity and dynamics in comparison. The TAD kt66 sucks in all aspects. So yes, the GEC I prefer overall. But I have not heard other kt66. There are big difference between producers: so KT66 from 2 different brands can sound very different.
“Key difference in my system is that the KT66 is more musical/less analytical than the KT77. The timbre I find more natural. It has all the treble extension of the KT77 but it’s integrated in a more balanced way. Also, the GEC KT66 sounds slightly fuller with more bass. This etheral magic is not there to the same degree with the KT77. Soundstage is higher with the GEC too. This etheral magic I really want to stress. Hard to describe: the sound just floats there in the air but still has all the weight and definition you could wish for. I hope this makes sense. Hard to describe in words.”
“The KT88 of Genalex produces a fuller, darker sound than the KT77 with more low frequency extension. The KT66 of Tube Town (it looks like an Shuguang) is also fuller than the KT77 and has that midrange magic. The KT77 is the most linear, has more dynamics and attack. The soundstage definitely moves closer to the listener.”

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
And more big rolling session at @christoph place with the following report:

Here's a summary of the tube rolling session today at Chris' place with David, Chris and myself.

Setup: We tested a variety of output tubes to see which ones are working best in the TRP. We kept the setup simple with the SuperKomputer feeding the TRP DAC. Amp was the Ayon Crossfire. Speakers the hORNS. So no pre-amp and no subwoofer was used.

The first round we did with the KR Ann Recti. Second round we compared our favorite tubes with the Takatsuki.

Music: Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pal Alley (2.30 min. & 5:00 min.); Yosi Horikawa - Bubbles (from start 1-2 min); Jose Carrera - Misa Criolla (from start 1-2min); Keith Jarret - Köln Concert Part I (1-2 min from start & 6:00 min); Blues Company - Dark Day (1:30 min); Jon Hopkins - Abandon Window (start 1-2 min & 3:40 min)

KR / Tung Sol EL34: clear over full spectrum, well defined bass (one of the better we heard)

KR / Philips EL24 Blackburn Code (NOS): warmer than the Tung Sol, pronounced mid-range, lacks treble extension

KR / RFT EL 34 (NOS): most dynamic and defined of the EL 34, clean over the full specturm, more details, good flow, clearly the winner of the EL34s

KR / Brimar 6L6G (NOS): less dynamic than EL 34s, soundstage moves slightly further back, beautiful organic tonality, very smooth, less treble then the RFT but nothing to worry about, good bass quantity which is softer than with the EL 34s, most emotional and touching of the bunch

KR / TAD KT66: most bass quantity, missing snap, polished and glossed over, a clear pass from all of us

KR / Genalex KT 77 Gold Lion: massive soundstage, cleanest of the all, quite background, has the fullness of the EL 34s but is more precise adn more transparent, good treble extension, tonality is spot on, involving and physical, fantastic intradynamics, most complete tube of the bunch and in all disciplines ahead except from emotionality wher the Brimar is slightly better

Elextro Harmonix 6CA7 EH: a lot of details, most powerful, good punch and dynamics, missing body in the lower midrange/upper bass, does not transport the chest voice as the KT77 and the Brimar.

Our favorite tubes were the Genalex KT77 and the Brimar 6L6G. The Brimar is mor emotional but the KT77 more involving. Tonality of the Brimar is beautiful but not as correct as with the KT77. We switched the rectifier to the Takatsuki to find out how these two favoites would do with the Japanese rectifier.

Takatsuki / Brimar 6L6G: Depth, focus and imaging improved a lot. Also the soundstage increased. The Takatsuki completes the Brimar. Very detailed but never losing the flow and the focus on the complete picture. The step up from the KR to the Takatsuki is impressive.

Takatsuki / KT 77: Also here, the soundstage increases slightly. There's more air and better separation than with the KR. But the difference to the KR is much smaller than with the Brimar. We all could very well live with the KR.

Overall, the Takatsuki and KT77 was the winner of the day. If you own a TRP it makes sense to own a Brimar and the KT77 as they are quite different in their presentation. The KR is doing a great job overall. If you got the spare money, go for the Takatsuki”

Guys with this i would say you have quite a lot of reading for the weekend :p:cool:

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Also be aware that GEC had quite a few different factories that made tubes slightly differently over the years. Black base, brown base, cup getter, D getter, grey glass, clear glass, etc and if the KT66 are like other GEC tubes then there will be slight sound differences between the various GEC KT66 tubes. As a tube roller, you will either find this fun or it will drive you crazy. Perhaps a mixture of the two for me with my other amps and preamps :)

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Also be aware that GEC had quite a few different factories that made tubes slightly differently over the years. Black base, brown base, cup getter, D getter, grey glass, clear glass, etc and if the KT66 are like other GEC tubes then there will be slight sound differences between the various GEC KT66 tubes. As a tube roller, you will either find this fun or it will drive you crazy. Perhaps a mixture of the two for me with my other amps and preamps :)
So what exact model GEC KT66 is the one to look for?

jriggy

Dec 4, 2017
Sounds like the Genalex GL KT77 may end up being just as liked as the GEC KT66.

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
I‘ve the brown base Z-Series (late fifties) and compared it to the Genalex KT77 :D, further recommendations welcomed.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Madness starts...now :p

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
So what exact model GEC KT66 is the one to look for?

The most desirable are the earliest version: grey/smoked glass, black base, inverted cup getter. Whether they have 'GEC', 'Marconi', 'MWT' or 'Osram' stickers (or no stickers) they will be the same tube. I cannot say what the differences are with the later tubes, for example clear glass/brown base as I haven't tried them yet.

Reactions: christoph

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Found some black base in the bay, but think to be patient and wait for an opportunity for a comparison. Indiana Jones mode off, enjoy listening mode on :cool:

Reactions: Golum and christoph

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
Just received word that my TRP is complete and should be here by wednesday...just in time for me to tear down my systems for a remodel in my mancave.

This will be a very long two weeks. :(

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Just received word that my TRP is complete and should be here by wednesday...just in time for me to tear down my systems for a remodel in my mancave.

This will be a very long two weeks. :(
Excellent choice :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
My little Duracell-TRP :cool:

Duracell TRP.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing