LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
In my main tube equipment, if using nice power tubes such as KT88, the rectifiers don't seem to make too much of a difference. They seem to make a little more difference in my headphone amps.

A rectifier doesn't process a signal. It simply provides voltage to the circuit so that the other components can process a signal.

Lot's of good debate out there discussing if a rectifier makes a difference to the sound:
http://www.tdpri.com/threads/does-the-rectifier-tube-affect-the-sound-of-an-amp.531326/

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Quote - Do you think the standard KR 5U4G beats the masher, Norman?

Interesting question Justin. Never checked. it would depend also on the dac midel and vintage. It may work better in 5 selector tube models and e53 than in autobalance circuit and r2r/e5942, for eg.

Last edited:

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Hello All,
I’m new here, but have been reading WTF for a bit. First I’d like to thank all of the contributors in these forums for making me what I am today, broke ;)
But my system is better and I’m happier for it.

Alrainbow, thanks for taking the time to apply your experience in delving into a TRP, GG2, Pacific comparison. I’m going through a GG1 to GG2 reconfiguration, changing out the digital engine and output caps. Could you elaborate on your unit configurations - digital engines, caps, etc?

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Wow that is a great leap in the right direction
My GG2 has the white Lampi caps very clean and detailed
The engine is the new 53 also a very detailed and musical sound
The new 53 is an update over past r2r and there older engines in the following ways
The music comes from a stage that is more detailed , more pinpoint locations yet has an intimacy they keeps your attention. The slightest moves of the players as well as mixing as it may be adjusted is a sign of how well the digital sound is being reproduced true to the source.
It removes harshness older engines might have st times. In short a more analog sound but does not let you fall into the load back slow sound some claim is analog. It is fast and has a level of dynamics that shows up like real music playing in front of you.
The new analog Section used has a lower noise floor yielding a higher level of presence a more precise tube rolling power supply gives a more precise sound scape of each tube used. While past
Tube rolls all had virtues of each tube. LAMPI has found a way to make each roll even more enjoying.
Caps matter and we each have what we feel is our needs and this is true.
Below is a simple list of how each pic may sound
The new white LAMPI caps are more transparent then past caps used now before we feel does this mean less musical it does not.
For me music is not always lush nor warm nor flat
It's alive. The new caps let music be as it is but keep it musical always.
The black Mundorf gold oil are also very musical but for me hold back a bit of raw sound that makes it musical.
The Jupiter , are more neutral than the black are but not like the white caps

In short the new white caps are an improvement over past caps used.

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
WBF, not WTF. LOL
I’ll blame autocorrect

Great feedback. Very relevant to my situation. I started with GG1 SE R2R w/Mundorf SG no oil. Then went to GG2. For some reason the factory didn’t change the engine and caps and they told me to send it back. I held it for a month before returning. I ended up really liking the GG2 as it was. Much more detail and just cleaner. Not sounding analytical, still musical. I was second guessing completing the change to e53 with Lampi Copper caps. It is due to return any day, so I still haven’t heard this configuration yet. Using RK 5u4g with RK PX25 throughout.

Well, trying to keep it relevant to this thread, what is the configuration of the loaner TRP? I assume your Pacific is e57. Which caps?

Reactions: Golum

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
TRP is 53 but caps on my request as I can roll a few to try out while it's here
New white caps will be tried as well as a few others I own too.
My pac has the 57 engine and white Lampi caps
I also made it so I can roll caps inside it as well.
What I can say is Lampi sure has a way of finding a way of getting us closer yet not making it analytical. It's a slippery slope for sure
As I think it's better it's not on all genre this is the many many hours of research they put into sound
It's not an accident lol.

Reactions: christoph

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
It was only a couple of years ago that Lampizator were singing the virtues of their DSD engines and R2R DACs. I totally understand though that companies need to evolve and bring out new technologies to survive.

I'm rather fond of the R2R GA, but also understand that there is "always better" when it comes to audio. Has anyone compared side-by-side the original R2R GA and the newer 53 GA? It's a significant cost to swap out the R2R engine for the newer 53. I am grateful to Lampizator for offering this option (as most other companies don't), but would like to hear others thoughts before I consider the swap.

Reactions: christoph

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Me I had one and the r2r before that it's like you said things evolve for the better as always. Or does mean what you have is bad it's very good still
But new is better as I posted.
Hope this helps

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
It was only a couple of years ago that Lampizator were singing the virtues of their DSD engines and R2R DACs. I totally understand though that companies need to evolve and bring out new technologies to survive.

I'm rather fond of the R2R GA, but also understand that there is "always better" when it comes to audio. Has anyone compared side-by-side the original R2R GA and the newer 53 GA? It's a significant cost to swap out the R2R engine for the newer 53. I am grateful to Lampizator for offering this option (as most other companies don't), but would like to hear others thoughts before I consider the swap.
I/we (saying we as there was several of us having the listening session) compared GA TRP with 53 engine vs GA, GG1 and GG2 (both GG with r2r) and the TRP is just mind blowing good. Vs old GA is just playing in another league (more defined, precise, dynamic, bolder, you name it). Vs GGs its also very close but as Al said it is a bit of different type of sound presentation and as well against Pacific (which we also had on hand during that session). No wonder Al owns both of them (Pac and GG2). Also TRP wise, choice of pentodes is amazing and not pocket killing like DHTs so you can play and tweak the sound as you like.
Don’t know if this helps you a bit but I hope it does...

Cheers

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
I am grateful to Lampizator for offering this option (as most other companies don't), but would like to hear others thoughts before I consider the swap.

I've owned an Atlantic, a Golden Atlantic, and I recently had it updated to a GA2 TRP. When I had the Atlantic I ended up preferring upsampling redbook to DSD over R2R, and I upgraded to a DSD only version of the GA in order to gain native DSD and DSD512 — using upsampling in Roon.

Since upgrading to the GA2 TRP, I have found that it sounds best with no upsampling at all. Redbook cd files played natively sound fantastic. What is better with Engine 53? I think the sound is far more open and clear — without emphasizing any frequency range — there's no fake emphasis of high frequencies or any harshness. The soundstage in my living room was always big, but it has become huge, and players occupy definite space in that stage. That makes listening more fun.

So for me, the upgrade was definitely worthwhile. I'm not exactly sure what the term 'destination DAC' means, but if my guess is right, this is it for me.

I'm currently using Genalex Gold Lion KT77s, but I'm ready to change once Alrainbow points the way. So I'm really looking forward to his review.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Wow that is a great leap in the right direction
My GG2 has the white Lampi caps very clean and detailed
The engine is the new 53 also a very detailed and musical sound
The new 53 is an update over past r2r and there older engines in the following ways
The music comes from a stage that is more detailed , more pinpoint locations yet has an intimacy they keeps your attention. The slightest moves of the players as well as mixing as it may be adjusted is a sign of how well the digital sound is being reproduced true to the source.
It removes harshness older engines might have st times. In short a more analog sound but does not let you fall into the load back slow sound some claim is analog. It is fast and has a level of dynamics that shows up like real music playing in front of you.
The new analog Section used has a lower noise floor yielding a higher level of presence a more precise tube rolling power supply gives a more precise sound scape of each tube used. While past
Tube rolls all had virtues of each tube. LAMPI has found a way to make each roll even more enjoying.
Caps matter and we each have what we feel is our needs and this is true.
Below is a simple list of how each pic may sound
The new white LAMPI caps are more transparent then past caps used now before we feel does this mean less musical it does not.
For me music is not always lush nor warm nor flat
It's alive. The new caps let music be as it is but keep it musical always.
The black Mundorf gold oil are also very musical but for me hold back a bit of raw sound that makes it musical.
The Jupiter , are more neutral than the black are but not like the white caps

In short the new white caps are an improvement over past caps used.
Great sum up Al!!

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I've owned an Atlantic, a Golden Atlantic, and I recently had it updated to a GA2 TRP. When I had the Atlantic I ended up preferring upsampling redbook to DSD over R2R, and I upgraded to a DSD only version of the GA in order to gain native DSD and DSD512 — using upsampling in Roon.

Since upgrading to the GA2 TRP, I have found that it sounds best with no upsampling at all. Redbook cd files played natively sound fantastic. What is better with Engine 53? I think the sound is far more open and clear — without emphasizing any frequency range — there's no fake emphasis of high frequencies or any harshness. The soundstage in my living room was always big, but it has become huge, and players occupy definite space in that stage. That makes listening more fun.

So for me, the upgrade was definitely worthwhile. I'm not exactly sure what the term 'destination DAC' means, but if my guess is right, this is it for me.

I'm currently using Genalex Gold Lion KT77s, but I'm ready to change once Alrainbow points the way. So I'm really looking forward to his review.
Let me point you if I may - GEC KT66 - thank me later ;)

Reactions: ronfint

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I'm definitely thinking about those, but they are neither inexpensive nor easy to find off ebay.
I’m aware of both of those two things - but they might very well be “end game” tubes so worth of effort.

Reactions: ronfint

leftside

Jan 22, 2018

Thanks ronfint I appreciate this feedback. I've gone from a base Atlantic to a maxed out Golden Atlantic.

The tube rolling possibilities of the different tubes is a double-edged sword. Some consider these tubes to be cheap, but I'm well aware of the tubes most people will go after (GEC KT66, KT77, KT88, etc) and these tubes are far from cheap (especially if you have the balanced DAC and need 4 tubes). Still, I have to admit I'd really like to hear my existing GEC KT66 and GEC KT88 tubes in this DAC. I'm currently having a custom amp built for me, so that's taking most of my "audio funds" at the moment, but I'll no doubt end up opting for the 53 engine later in the year... Just as I thought my tube buying was coming to an end - famous last words :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing