LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
“Tested the GEC KT66 in the TRP today. Already when inserting them in the socket you realize that these two things are made for each other. Just with a little bit of pressure, the tubes are fully inserted into the socket without this woggling needed with almost any other tube. Once you start the music this is confirmed and the real magic happens.

These tubes are absolutely phenomenal. Up to today I have not heard any other tube that is doing so many things so right. The treble and midrange are of incredible quality. There is this etheral magic in the room with so much space and air inbetween the elements. The soundstage is bigger (especially height) than with any other tube. The timbre is spot-on so that it is almost spooky at times. The sibliants are never annoying. There are more details than with any other tube (except maybe the Genalex KT77 which is at the same level). The details are presented in a natural and non-annoying way without being too analytical or losing the sense for the big picture resp. the music. Except maybe with bad recordings.

What’s there not to like? Almost nothing. Maybe there are tubes with a little more bass (i.e. the Genalex KT88) or tubes with a fuller sound and a warmer midrange (i.e. the Tube Town KT66). But if you sum it all up this is the best tube I have heard so far. Maybe the biggest downside is that the whole tube rolling fun with the TRP is almost over knowing that it will be very difficult for any tube out there to beat the GEC KT66.”

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Sounds like a winner. Lets see how it compares to Als vintage GEC KT88. Al will have new Gold Lion KT66 to compare against.

Reactions: christoph

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
More...

I have sent a description of the the KT77 just recently. The GEC KT66 description is above. Key difference in my system is that the KT66 is more musical/less analytical than the KT77. The timbre I find more natural. It has all the treble extension of the KT77 but it’s integrated in a more balanced way. Also, the GEC KT66 sounds slightly fuller with more bass. This etheral magic is not there to the same degree with the KT77.

Soundstage is higher with the GEC too. This etheral magic I really want to stress. Hard to describe: the sound just floats there in the air but still has all the weight and definition you could wish for. I hope this makes sense. Hard to describe in words.

Reactions: christoph and Golum

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
I wonder how 807s would sound in this dac (with appropriate adapters). My first tube amps were VTL 120 monos which gave 55 watts per channel in triode mode. They sounded wonderful, and the anode-capped 807s were very romantic looking.
Should be good. I can run pairs of GEC TT21 (with TT21 to KT88 adapters) in my mono amps and they work great.

jriggy

Dec 4, 2017
So here’s a good question... Will the 4P1L tubes from the “Atlantic” work in the new GA 2 TRP??
The 4P1L seems be such an open and linear tube.
OR what is the most linear freq response pentode tube??
As that’s the magic in the Atlantic, IMO. It is not heavy in the mids or anywhere really.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have a trp on hand it's a great dac. It's a loaner to compare it to my Owned pacific and GG2
Pics and mini reviews coming soon
I own about 16 pairs of tubes for the TRP purchased to do a thorough review of the TRP
as WInson says the kt66 is a great sound
It's fast , dynamic and keeps it musical over all.
It's very well defined in both micro and macro details. As in all LAMPI dacs the recti sets in part the stage so few can make it have more views. So far I have tried the kt120 Kt88 Kt77 and kt 66. I have many variants of each both new and nos.
In right now is the psvane el34 gold base version
Recti a few but as of now the EML 5u4g mesh
A glowing vision of passion of music in a tube
The combo sounds great.
The dac is loaded with all options as well.
It leaves me lacking for nothing and can play it for hours and not feel any digital fatigue.

One sign of great digital is each song has its own sound. No two songs on almost any album is not the same in sound.
This dac easily supports this theory and delivers a presentation that is bound to be the gold standard In reproducing a well balanced musical experience

A quick bit on tube rolling LAMPI dacs and the TRP
The tubes are cheap far cheaper than a SET output tubes. So to own a few pairs is well worth it if you like some variety in genre reproduction.
No dac I know of can become so many dacs in one.
Lastly Lampi has a massive support system of current and past Lampi users
The end result is a group to help you navigate to the perfect sound for your system.
I feel there is no perfect system nor is there one sound for all owners.
Lets sit back and enjoy the journey I am about to start for all readers

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Lampi has gotten back to me the 4P1L tube is not compatible with the trp
Having said this the tubes they can be used on the TRP have many more choices
Here is a shirt list and is not complete
KT 120 , 88 , 77, 66
EL 34
All above have many variants to help in finding the jewel for the sound one needs.

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
While still really enjoying my Atlantic TRP with standard 5C3S recti tube and rolling between Genalex KT77 Gold Lion and Svetlana EL34, I would be interested how big portion of the cake the recti tube has, based on your listening experience. I‘m more in favor of the KT77 due to even more crisp and detailed sonic image and 3D mapping plus the stupendous bass.

PS: Waiting patiently for the delivery of my KR 5U4G ;)

Reactions: Golum

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
While still really enjoying my Atlantic TRP with standard 5C3S recti tube and rolling between Genalex KT77 Gold Lion and Svetlana EL34, I would be interested how big portion of the cake the recti tube has, based on your listening experience. I‘m more in favor of the KT77 due to even more crisp and detailed sonic image and 3D mapping plus the stupendous bass.

PS: Waiting patiently for the delivery of my KR 5U4G ;)

You know when you have a good recti when it just stays in the DAC. My fave is the cheap Chatham potato masher.

Many like the KR 5U4G but I really actively disliked it in my system. I hope you like it in yours.

The KR RK tubes think they are well made, robust types but they pale in comparison to the Chatham. And I am prepared to bet they cannot achieve testing which actually exercises that fact to the sort of levels the Chatham can obviously take.

Price is not necessarily the dictator of quality. Supply and demand more usually is.

In my opinion the Chatham is the recti of rectis. A mil spec wonder of a bygone age. And worthy of serious respect. Just look at the spec sheet for it. It is just unbelievable.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
new prod vs vintage.

Masher is an airplane recti and built to take altitude, so very robust. Not sure it has the extreme high vac pressure of the RK....but it has the cork inner layer that protects against vibrations.

Masher too has limits as Fikuz used to use them in his GM70 amps but they didnt last very ling.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
fat fingers from Telephone. I gave him a few mashers sourced locally in CH back then. I assume they were run to spec.

Masher is one of my first ever recti, but both double mica 5r4gy and RK 5u4g beat it. 596 beats em all.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That said ling in my mother tongue means dick so it did not last ling ends up with the same meaning

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
fat fingers from Telephone. I gave him a few mashers sourced locally in CH back then. I assume they were run to spec.

Masher is one of my first ever recti, but both double mica 5r4gy and RK 5u4g beat it. 596 beats em all.

Do you think the standard KR 5U4G beats the masher, Norman?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing