LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
To be fair I personally don’t think the pcm quality was as good as dsd in the early days certainly when I had a big 7. For me it was the Soekris r2r board that Lampi used that improved the pcm performance to be on par with their dsd.

http://www.soekris.dk/dam1121.html

I had not seen this post in due time - does the Lampizator use the dam1021 Soekris DAC?

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
No. The TRP uses an undisclosed delta sigma based engine.

Reactions: Golum

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I had not seen this post in due time - does the Lampizator use the dam1021 Soekris DAC?

Yes the GG did use that r2r board. Not sure what is used nowadays.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I preferred the R2R to chip dacs in compare at the factory. Lukasz too told me my music ave taste suits R2R

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

jriggy

Dec 4, 2017
I preferred the R2R to chip dacs in compare at the factory. Lukasz too told me my music ave taste suits R2R

What is your musical taste? And what did you hear different that made you stick with the R2R over the new chip engine?

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
... and what engine did you compare to R2R, the S53?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I had under my roof TRP with e53 and mine GG2 with r2r engine and there is a difference but not in qualitative way but rather in way of delivering the musical content. E53 is a bloody mighty window to your enjoyment.

Reactions: newbiecapri and fbs

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: fbs

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
And btw there might be a comparison done tmr or Friday with two TRPs (e53 vs r2r) and some tube rolling session with both of those...so lets see

Reactions: christoph and fbs

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
BTW what is the official name of the engine?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
E53;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What is your musical taste? And what did you hear different that made you stick with the R2R over the new chip engine?

ClassIcal. The R2R had much more separation, dynamic range, and dynamics. More flow and resolution. Lukasz told me he is more of jazz and single vocals with guitar and prefers the chip for himself, but said r2r is better for the music I listen to

Reactions: jriggy

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Thanks to @christoph and few of our dear friends a big tube rolling session was done yesterday with TRP. Their findings are nicely summed up and again may serve as a great manual for finding the perfect tube match for your needs with this particular DAC model.

“Here's a summary of the tube rolling session today at Chris' place with David, Chris and myself.

Setup: We tested a variety of output tubes to see which ones are working best in the TRP. We kept the setup simple with the SuperKomputer feeding the TRP DAC. Amp was the Ayon Crossfire. Speakers the hORNS Universum. So no pre-amp and no subwoofer was used.

The first round we did with the KR Ann Recti. Second round we compared our favorite tubes with the Takatsuki.

Music: Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pal Alley (2.30 min. & 5:00 min.); Yosi Horikawa - Bubbles (from start 1-2 min); Jose Carrera - Misa Criolla (from start 1-2min); Keith Jarret - Köln Concert Part I (1-2 min from start & 6:00 min); Blues Company - Dark Day (1:30 min); Jon Hopkins - Abandon Window (start 1-2 min & 3:40 min)

KR / Tung Sol EL34: clear over full spectrum, well defined bass (one of the better we heard)

KR / Philips EL24 Blackburn Code (NOS): warmer than the Tung Sol, pronounced mid-range, lacks treble extension

KR / RFT EL 34 (NOS): most dynamic and defined of the EL 34, clean over the full specturm, more details, good flow, clearly the winner of the EL34s

KR / Brimar 6L6G (NOS): less dynamic than EL 34s, soundstage moves slightly further back, beautiful organic tonality, very smooth, less treble then the RFT but nothing to worry about, good bass quantity which is softer than with the EL 34s, most emotional and touching of the bunch

KR / TAD KT66: most bass quantity, missing snap, polished and glossed over, a clear pass from all of us

KR / Genalex KT 77 Gold Lion: massive soundstage, cleanest of the all, quite background, has the fullness of the EL 34s but is more precise and more transparent, good treble extension, tonality is spot on, involving and physical, fantastic intradynamics, most complete tube of the bunch and in all disciplines ahead except from emotionality where the Brimar is slightly better

Elextro Harmonix 6CA7 EH: a lot of details, most powerful, good punch and dynamics, missing body in the lower midrange/upper bass, does not transport the chest voice as the KT77 and the Brimar.

Our favorite tubes were the Genalex KT77 and the Brimar 6L6G. The Brimar is more emotional but the KT77 more involving. Tonality of the Brimar is beautiful but not as correct as with the KT77. We switched the rectifier to the Takatsuki to find out how these two favorites would do with the Japanese rectifier.

Takatsuki / Brimar 6L6G: Depth, focus and imaging improved a lot. Also the soundstage increased. The Takatsuki completes the Brimar. Very detailed but never losing the flow and the focus on the complete picture. The step up from the KR to the Takatsuki is impressive.

Takatsuki / KT 77: Also here, the soundstage increases slightly. There's more air and better separation than with the KR. But the difference to the KR is much smaller than with the Brimar. We all could very well live with the KR.

Overall, the Takatsuki and KT77 was the winner of the day. If you own a TRP it makes sense to own a Brimar and the KT77 as they are quite different in their presentation. The KR is doing a great job overall. If you got the spare money, go for the Takatsuki”

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Very nicely written report, food for further thoughts!

A question: Is this the KR recti you looked at: KR 5U4G Lampi Anniversary Version?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
KR recti as far as i know was latest version KR 5u4g RK...

Reactions: fbs

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
There Is as well a KR.5U4G Limited Series version and some 274B derivates. But the KR 5U4G Lampi Anniversary seems to be the one :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing