LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Doing a little planning: How tall is the Atlantic TRF with tubes, including feet? Thanks,
The Rectifier will most probably be higher than the Output tubes ;)

Reactions: Golum and fbs

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: Golum

chopchopbin

Sep 27, 2015
While waiting for my TRP to arrive from Fred, any USB cable recommendations will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
The Rectifier will most probably be higher than the Output tubes ;)

Yes, I was about reply about that. So more than 10"?

Re GEC KT66: What specifically will I want to be looking out for? Just looking at one tube dealer's website, I see...
- different year periods
- Osram mentioned or not
- black base and brown base
- clear and grey-coated glass
- different text (e.g., G.E.C., CV 1075 KB/Z, etc.)

The site says the grey-coated/brown bass version with CV 1075 on it is the oldest and best sounding KT66 ever made, with second best being the clear glass/cup-shape getter halo with G.E.C. on it from the late 50's.

I'm sure there are others not mentioned there. Then there are the modern Chinese versions.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
You seem to have developed a serious infatuation with this beauty :p
Did I? :p
Thats why, if you’ll be a good boy, you’ll have a chance to hear it:p:cool::D

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I just came across the FTA USB cable thread and didn't realize that Lampizator NA is a dealer for it. Have to give Fred a call, again. :(
I just received one from Fred to try out. Delivered as new with no prior burn-in so we are just getting to know each other. Initial impressions are that it sure has a grip on things. Being able to demo sure makes it easy. Give him a call.

Greg

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Yes, I was about reply about that. So more than 10"?

Depends on the specific rectifier but I measured 10" with the stock tube included.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Did I? :p
Thats why, if you’ll be a good boy, you’ll have a chance to hear it:p:cool::D
You really got one? :eek:
And how does it sound?
Compared to the RK 5u4g?
And to Fugly Frank? :p

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
You really got one? :eek:
And how does it sound?
Compared to the RK 5u4g?
And to Fugly Frank? :p
Yeap, had to cure myself a bit with some nice tube and this one was a perfect candidate. So its inbound...
Rest i have no idea - i just have a good guts feeling about it - so yes impulsive buying....but still it will kick some serious a.s..;).

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yeap, had to cure myself a bit with some nice tube and this one was a perfect candidate. So its inbound...
Rest i have no idea - i just have a good guts feeling about it - so yes impulsive buying....but still it will kick some serious a.s..;).
Congrats :cool:
I'm VERY curious :eek:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Congrats, from what I heard in our system and a friends it is a really nice Dac.

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
I just received one from Fred to try out. Delivered as new with no prior burn-in so we are just getting to know each other. Initial impressions are that it sure has a grip on things. Being able to demo sure makes it easy. Give him a call.

Greg
Greg,after you have had time to burn it in,please let us know how you like it. Fred offered it to me to try,but my wallet is still trying to recover from the TRP,so I declined....for the time being.

Reactions: chopchopbin

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Congrats, from what I heard in our system and a friends it is a really nice Dac.
Hi Brad,

I’m not sure if you got it right...i got myself an Elrog 274b recti ;).
DAC wise there is only one which i dream about and that is Pacific - sooner or later it will be mine..:cool:

Reactions: ihmeyers

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Greg,after you have had time to burn it in,please let us know how you like it. Fred offered it to me to try,but my wallet is still trying to recover from the TRP,so I declined....for the time being.
Monsterzero,
I think the cable is far enough along to offer some feedback. Just received it Thursday, so am on day 4 with a little over 25 hrs. on the clock. Yes, things have changed already. Context is important, so here is what I'm running:

Aurender N10
Lampizator GG2 with e53 engine and Lampi Copper Caps
LTA Microzotl Preamp
LTA Ultralinear Mono amps
Daedalus Apollo 11 speakers

Tubes in the GG2 thus far are Brimar (GEC) U52 rectifier, KR RK 5U4G rectifier, RK PX25 outputs.

Despite reading about how the Callisto sounds good out of the box, I wasn't overly impressed at first - bright, edgy, forward, and flat. Maybe this was context as the electronics are fast and extended. For dynamic speakers, these new Daedalus are at the fast and extended end of the spectrum too. So, I was really hearing a raw product pretty well. By the second day it was coming around sounding more refined, the edginess relaxing, but the depth and staging were still lagging behind the other cables on hand, especially the spdif input fed by the Aurender. Yesterday was streaming day from morning till midnight. Meaningful improvements occurred throughout when I would stop in for a listen. Much more refined. Now staging is nearly the equal of that through the spdif input. (Aurender OXCO clocks are pretty good so I typically would default to the spdif input when playing PCM - smoother and more organic with wider stage.)

Improvements are reported past 150 hrs. so I'm sure more will come. Already this is the best I've got on hand and I'll be keeping it. The sound is engaging, dynamic, deep, and wide. Notes/sounds are complete from initial attack through decay. I refer to this as grip.

Different DAC's here, but I suspect there is enough commonality in their sound and input for this to be relevant for you. A demo is always a good idea. If I only had a couple hours with this now wonderful cable I may have passed on it.

USB Cables ranked in order of my preference so far: FTA Callisto, Audio Sensibility Signature, Sablon Panatella Reserva. I consider all of them worthwhile, but they are different.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi Brad,

I’m not sure if you got it right...i got myself an Elrog 274b recti ;).
DAC wise there is only one which i dream about and that is Pacific - sooner or later it will be mine..:cool:
After hearing both I am not sure you need to upgrade

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Well that is also my current thinking so I’m just playing with tubes and stashing them for future generations. But when the itching starts to be strong cure is known...:cool:

Reactions: morricab

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Talking about cables, I saw on FB that Lampi is having a summer clearance. Not that I need any, but if anyone has had experience one way or anther with their top power, interconnects or spdif, I’d be interested in hearing via PM.

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
After spending the entire afternoon and evening with my GA R2R, I've decided I'm going to keep it and not swap out the R2R engine for the new S3 engine.

But, I have an older DSD only Eufora in another room. This has been an amazing bargain ($1100 used), and with JRiver and Roon I can also play PCM with it, but this will be replaced by a standard TRP sometime in the future. I've been following the posts on here and will continue to lurk and occasionally post as I save up the money for a TRP. I have a lot of great tubes for this DAC.

There has been a lot of talk about the GEC KT66. I'm just waiting for someone to also try the GEC KT88, Mullard EL35, Fivre 6L6G, Fivre 6V6G, GEC 6V6G and Mullard 6V6G as these are some of my favorite tubes. If you wait long enough you'll hear my impressions of these tubes with this DAC :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing