LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Hard to get to, so hope it's clear enough.

Lampi Atlantic TRP foot.JPG

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hard to get to, so hope it's clear enough.

View attachment 65555
That looks like the Stacore.
But without the flat counterpart with the "thorn" upwards to fit in the "hole" of the metal foot. Sorry, I hope you understand what I want to say... :oops:
I can take a picture of the lower counterpart of the feet tomorrow.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
You're probably right. It's a unique design and I vaguely remember some mention of Lampi using Stacore feet this time.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Shuguang GZ480 and be done. The other rectis you have are great. This new one plus the psvane 6ca7 means you will be golden in your collection of tubes.

So what does the GZ480 sound like, what distinguishes it?

Between the TRP (GEC KT66) and Supratek preamp’s PSU (Shuguang 6SN7), I’m trying to find the right combination (pair) of rectis to give me the modestly warm engaging sound I like. I had it, but then I improved the isolation of speakers and components and that changed everything. I’ve been working with a GEC U52, 596, Psvane WE274B replica, Mullard GZ32 and KR 5U4G RK Anniversary.. The frustrating thing in this is that the RK notches up the level of transparency, bass and sense of presence far more than the others, so combined with the excellent U52, the sound quality goes into another realm, including some warmth. But the RK is dry, which leaves me feeling disconnected. An example is with blues, with which the right chords, cadence and tone it sings to people, drawing them in emotionally. With the RK and warmish U52, the first two are there, at least nominally, while the tone is something other entirely, almost steely. For me, Romantic era music should sound Romantic (capital R) and blues should sound like blues. Very frustrating situation, one where it would be nice to be able to reach in and tune it a little differently...

So back to the GZ480. What does it have to offer? While my musical tastes range, with the stereo I listen primarily to jazz and classical,

Last edited:

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
So what does the GZ480 sound like, what distinguishes it?

Between the TRP (GEC KT66) and Supratek preamp’s PSU (Shuguang 6SN7), I’m trying to find the right combination (pair) of rectis to give me the modestly warm engaging sound I like. I had it, but then I improved the isolation of speakers and components and that changed everything. I’ve been working with a GEC U52, 596, Psvane WE274 replica, Mullard GZ32 and KR 5U4G RK Anniversary.. The frustrating thing in this is that the RK notches up the level of transparency, bass and sense of presence far more than the others, so combined with the excellent U52, the sound quality goes into another realm, including some warmth. But the RK is dry, which leaves me feeling disconnected. An example is with blues, with which the right chords, cadence and tone it sings to people, drawing them in emotionally. With the RK and warmish U52, the first two are there, at least nominally, while the tone is something other entirely, almost steely. For me, Romantic era music should sound Romantic (capital R) and blues should sound like blues. Very frustrating situation, one where it would be nice to be able to reach in and tune it a little differently...

So back to the GZ480. What does it have to offer? While my musical tastes range, with the stereo I listen primarily to jazz and classical,

I dont have golden atlantic, but literally went from GG to Pacific today. I have found the Tak 274b‘s in GG to warm things up a bit. Not U52 warm, but a bit on that side. Using electrostat headphone, it was just what I needed. Might work for you based on your description

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Unfortunately, only $900 on sale...

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
For those who didn’t see it on the tube rolling thread, I’ve got the RK 5U4G up for sale. For further info, PM or see Audiomart (HiFi Shark webste for the link).

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
A tube mentioned on the Pacific thread is the Westinghouse VU71, which seems to be a 5R4 equivalent. Anyone played with it on a TRP?

rjc1845

Jun 22, 2016
Greater Boston
Well, I just pulled the trigger and ordered GA TRP balanced with VC. I’m trying to decide on the extra digital input......Toslink ( HT integration) or AES.
My question is whether there is a discernible difference between usb, spdif and aes on the DAC or is it source dependent?

Reactions: fbs and christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Congrats on the TRP :cool:
I guess the source makes more of a difference than the interface itself.
I would just order that additional interface that you will most probably need ;)

Reactions: fbs

owen lawlor

Jul 30, 2010
Another TRP member here too! Let's hope it beats the Chord/MScaler that I just sold at a loss to pick this one up, LOL

Reactions: fbs and christoph

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Congrats on the TRP, please comment on your listening experience. Which tubes did you choose?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Tic tac tic tac tic tac....stay tuned for this monsterous output tube report...i.e. road less taken;)

F52C3A4F-B17A-45B8-9775-F47354C1EF83.jpeg 0A841FF3-CC76-4B1B-9FCD-FFF13E67BA22.jpeg

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Monsterous adapters ;)

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Recti tube is 5u4g so kind of regularly big, output ones are huge as such and adapters add a bit to the height. Pentode kicking out 45W of power;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Recti tube is 5u4g so kind of regularly big
The recti is Philco, not RK 5u4g.
I don't know how tall the Philco is as I don't know that one...

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Yeap I Know - kind of size of WE274b so maybe a tad smaller then ACME. Still, output tubes are huge :cool:

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Yeap I Know - kind of size of WE274b so maybe a tad smaller then ACME. Still, output tubes are huge :cool:
What's the height from base to the top of the tube? I'm just curious if a set up like that would fit in my rack. Atlantic TRP is on my short list for a DAC upgrade.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing