LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
Used the search function as I know its been mentioned before, but couldnt find any answers....

What 2 or 3 rectifiers seem to work best with the Tesla el51s? Asking for multiple suggestions as the best probably aint cheap. ;)

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I like a little warmth, so the RCA 5R4GY from WWII period has worked really well with the Teslas, although I have two that sound a bit different, both very good (1944 & 1945). I preferred those in the TRP vs. the USAF 596, which does better in my preamp. For the past few weeks, I’ve been using the Sophia Electric Aqua EL-34 instead of the Tesla, which is as good as advertised. The RCA works well with those too. I also have an Aqua 274B on the way.

Golum mentioned on the tube rolling thread that he really likes his 1954 RCA 5U4G with top getter and maybe chrome on top, in his GG or Pacific I believe. I’ve just tried a strong used one of same year & getter without the chrome in the TRP and found it very good in many ways with both the Sophia’s and Tesla’s, and even better with a pair of Treasure Globe 6SN7-SE’s inserted in the preamp, but in all cases without soul (notes not the music, so to speak). The other RCA type returned some warmth.

Reactions: Monsterzero

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
I like a little warmth, so the RCA 5R4GY from WWII period has worked really well with the Teslas, although I have two that sound a bit different, both very good (1944 & 1945). I preferred those in the TRP vs. the USAF 596, which does better in my preamp. For the past few weeks, I’ve been using the Sophia Electric Aqua EL-34 instead of the Tesla, which is as good as advertised. The RCA works well with those too. I also have an Aqua 274B on the way.

Golum mentioned on the tube rolling thread that he really likes his 1954 RCA 5U4G with top getter and maybe chrome on top, in his GG or Pacific I believe. I’ve just tried a strong used one of same year & getter without the chrome in the TRP and found it very good in many ways with both the Sophia’s and Tesla’s, and even better with a pair of Treasure Globe 6SN7-SE’s inserted in the preamp, but in all cases without soul (notes not the music, so to speak). The other RCA type returned some warmth.
how would you say the Tesla EL51 differs from the Sophia EL34?

Reactions: Ed_K

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I haven’t directly compared the two, as I got the EL-34 a month ago and have left it in since, finding no reason to pull it and compare. Off the top of my head, I’d say the EL-34 is a bit clearer and more balanced, with a similar bit of warmth, perhaps a bit more. It also has the advantage of being shorter and not needing an anode wire, meaning less worry about vibrations affecting the cap connections over time.

I was maybe a bit too hard in my comments above about the RCA 5U4G I picked up. What stood out immediately in its effects were its bass, much more pronounced than the 5R4GY — I had turn down the subs a lot — and its richness is the best I’ve ever heard. It’s also got a great deal of delicacy. I do find its mid and highs and its lateral staging a bit constrained, and its perspective a little recessed. Some of this can be overcome in pairing, such as with the big stage and excellent presence of the Treasure Globe in the preamp. With that tube, it swings. Past that, however, I find its effects more attention getting than emotionally engaging, which is too bad. I wouldn’t be surprised if to another set of ears and system it would be just right, because it does have a lot going for it.

Last edited:

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Used the search function as I know its been mentioned before, but couldnt find any answers....

What 2 or 3 rectifiers seem to work best with the Tesla el51s? Asking for multiple suggestions as the best probably aint cheap. ;)
Cossor 53KU. And/or also try the Philips EL51. I'm listening to this trio right now.

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Hi guys, looking to host a small listening party at my place in Boston. COme check out my setup and its a good way to meet the nearby audiophiles. Who's in the Boston area?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Curious, what power cords are people using with their TRP or Lampi in general? I'm using an FTA Elara now but would like to try out some others.

Thanks.

I held off replying to this April post because I didn’t want competition on the used market. Now I can reveal my secret :) Since December, I have gone from a loom of PS Audio AC-12 power cords and MG Audio Design IC’s to all WyWires except for a PAD Neptune spdif between Oppo and TRP. I like a bit of warmth and on the suggestion of that audio dealer in Hawaii, the WW are that. I started with the Platinum power cords, including the HC model for the digital pieces, which were a significant improvement over the AC-12 in every respect while keeping the same tonality (Platinum = model name, not substance; WW cables use copper, no silver or rhodium).

Eventually, I dipped into the top of the line Diamonds, some of which came on the market at fire sale prices, and others at the 40% off or greater sale price that Alex of WW (and a dealer on Audiomart) frequently offers. What a leap in quality they were, while still maintaining most of the Platinum’s warmth. I’ve just finished the changeover with a couple of power cords for my ATC’s, which has taken the sound stage out quite a bit, among other improvements. Only the subs still have Platinums, Alex saying that the Diamonds are overkill for that position. So, answer to the question: WW’s are definitely worth a listen. Btw, Alex ships all over the world, and a couple of months back he got a large order from SE Asia.

P.S. Have to agree with perfusionist, the Sophia blue EL-34 and 274B make a very nice pair in the TRP.

Reactions: Mamon

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
For a while, like many others, I've been unsuccessfully searching for backup Shuguang GZ480s to work with Tesla EL51s in my TRP. They have become obscenely expensive. The last ones I saw listed on eBay (a few months ago) were something like $550.

I’m happy to say that, following a suggestion of Golum, I've found a rectifier that I like even more with EL51s. It is a Spanish Marconi U50 = 80 tube. This is a fantastic sounding tube in combination with EL51s in the TRP. The only caviat is that those whose systems are too bright might find this combination too much of a good thing. But I love this combination and I'm going to retire my GZ480 and order more Spanish Marconi U50s.

I'm using mine with a Type 80 to 5U4G adapter. There are many different versions of this tube available on eBay, I can't comment on the variations. Right now, I don’t care; I’m enjoying what I have.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I don't know about the Spanish U50, but early on in my tube rolling I found the Brit U50 tonally preferable to the U52. However, after some months with it, I found something else better for my purposes and moved on. Golum really likes the 5U4G.

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
At the suggestion of Lucas Domansky, I've switched EL51s in my TRP to Siemens F2a tubes. In my opinion (and Lucas’ as well) these tubes are fantastic in the TRP. Tonality, presence, and bass control are where they especially shine. I like them even more than the Tesla EL51s. Has anyone else given these tubes a try? B968DFB9-5141-4705-9ABC-02AB75C3B051.jpeg

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Read too quickly on my iPad Mini. I know a few rectis go for a lot, but 309 Euros each (USD 357) + shipping is well above average for that position. For example, I picked up the pair of EL51's from Lucas for $142 total shipped.

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
Well, this is “What’s Best Forum”. And right now my opinion is that the F2a tubes are the best in the TRP. Others might well disagree, but the price of the tubes is not at issue.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
At the suggestion of Lucas Domansky, I've switched EL51s in my TRP to Siemens F2a tubes. In my opinion (and Lucas’ as well) these tubes are fantastic in the TRP. Tonality, presence, and bass control are where they especially shine. I like them even more than the Tesla EL51s. Has anyone else given these tubes a try? View attachment 83601
I believe I have a pair of f2as stored somewhere from an old Tubeguru amp... Where did you pick up the adapter? I'll need to try this one as I'm a big el51 fan already.

Reactions: Souldriver

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
In trying to improve on the EL51, which I also like a lot, I’d suggest the Sophia Electric EL34-ST as worth a listen. They keep the best of the Tesla and build from there. As well, their 274B Aqua has really worked well in the TRP, complementing the EL34. Jeff Day’s reviews of that pairing have turned out to be right on (I noted years ago that we seem to have similar tastes in sound, especially tonally). When recently adding WyWires Diamond power cords going to ATC SCM40A actives unexpectedly stripped the modest degree of system warmth that had been there previously, swapping the 274B Aqua for the USAF 596/Woo adapter in my preamp returned it without loss in other respects. The Sophias don’t get the nearly forum chatter that NOS and some of the other high priced current tubes do, but looking now at the long array of tubes I’ve accumulated, it seems I’d have saved a whole lot of time and money giving them a try early on.

Reactions: LampiNA

Wjhen

Oct 21, 2019
I have Western Electric 350B, Tesla EL51, and Golden Dragon KT77 as output tubes.
Rectifiers I have: Western Electric 274B, Western Electric 422a, Sylvania 274B, RCA 5R4GY 1944, GEC U52, Cossor 53KU
When 'honeymoon' with WE350B and 274B is over, I will report on their sound compared to others. Probably a Christmas holiday type of work.

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I’d suggest the Sophia Electric EL34-ST as worth a listen.
I'm trying the Sophia EL34's right now and after about 20 hrs they still seem to have a bit of a treble edge/glare to them. Although they do possess amazing clarity, the soundstage is huge, and they create fantastic space and "air" between instruments. So I'm a bit conflicted and wondering if the tad bit of brightness will settle out with more hours. Anyone else with similar experiences with the Sophia EL34's? I'm using them with a KR 5U4G rectifier.

Reactions: Ed_K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing