LampizatOr Horizon - Tube Rolling Paradise

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
The only other secret I have learned from this thread is that if you have found that one tube that is a system changer and you either have a source or you want backups it is truly best not to make your proclamation until you have bought all that you need. It’s comforting that there are producers of new tubes but it’s those old ones that bring a lot of beautiful sound to the table. When dminches convinced me about the 6SN7 mentioned above I did a due diligence and found a USA tube dealer that had a total of 14 matched pairs NIB , never used and measured great. I bought 3 sets and posted my thoughts. I went back 3 hours later to the seller who I bought 3 sets from. They were all gone. So when it comes to rare tubes or ones to lust after , “ caveat emptor”
Oh yes - lesson well learned...no more buzzing around until stash is full...

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
But, do I really want KT 170 tubes in my DAC? Feels like using a sledgehammer to crack open an egg. It certainly works, but why? I’m sure Lukasz had his reasons. Still, it feels, what’s the right word, inelegant…
I'm with You here - just hate the look of KT170 TBH. But picture yourself rather looking into the unit with either TS 6sn7 or beautiful Mullard ST shape ecc32 all from '50s and surrounded by beautiful Telefunken El156 used in Klangfilm amps as well in '50s. And as a sugar on top you put whichever recti from the same era (U52, TS 5u4g top getter, etc.) and you have a seamless blend of nostalgia with latest technology producing seductive notes. Just my two cents :cool:
Mostly I’ve recently been exploring the intriguing world of SET amps. My current favorite is a SET that uses the 421a Western Electric dual power triode, a single tube which drives both channels at 3 watts. A related tube is the NOS Tung Sol 5998. Both sound lovely. Bespoke SETs made by local American artisan designers like Oliver Sayes or Ala Eaton or Denis Had are relatively inexpensive, small and compact for tube amplifiers and run fairly cool. Much to explore here in this strange exotic corner of Hi-Fi, a genre totally ignored by the mass market audio rags that cater largely to advertisers.
Also fully on board here - amazing stuff can be found in this segment. And if you find a proper tube amp artisan producer you can be in heaven (considering you have proper speakers in the equation)

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Just love this… 03242481-3ECC-4AED-9594-9FCDE56BCF67.jpeg

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I should add that this tester is a custom made to order unit. You email Chris asking to buy one and then wait till it’s ready — it takes a few weeks! He’s very responsive to emails as I can attest since I’ve badgered him no end on various issues.
For those that may not wish to own their own Amplitrex, the Tube Museum located in Tuxedo Park, NY ( a long-time well regarded tube seller) offers a unique testing service using their Amplitrex to test any 6 tubes for about $50.

PS I think the Spanish ebay text is because I am posting this from Mexico.

Reactions: ctydwn

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A couple of years ago, I decided to invest in the Amplitrex AT1000 tube tester. This is not cheap, but it’s a great way to test tubes in your home to a high degree of precision (parameter test, curves, gas discharge, noise etc.). I hooked it up to a PC and can print out each tube’s spec. Best of all, it’s infinitely expandable. If I come across a tube not in its database, I email the designer Chris. Within a day or two, he emails me a new test setting for the tube. If you use a lot of tubes and buy from places like eBay or Audiomart, this is a lifesaver.

How does the AT1000 test tubes for noise?

BTW, for those wanting to spend an enjoyable evening reading about current tube testers (AT1000 included) see : http://www.jacmusic.com/Tube-testers/index.html

Last edited:

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Rolling through the below (not listed in any particular order). Thanks to the many suggestions and conversations with folks here and the helpful research from a few sellers (ergo perhaps motivated). I agree there is no bad tube for the Horizon and continue to appreciate the differences each combination presents, which are notable. Looking forward to continuing to develop my tube palate. :rolleyes::) No rush here, sip at a time.
What a magnificent machine the Horizon is.

Rectifiers
TAK 274B
KR Audio 5U4G
Emission Labs 274
Mullard Cv378
Mullard Gz34
Sophia Electric mesh plate 274b
Sophia Electric aqua 274b
Marconi 5u4GB
Marconi 5y3

Pentodes
KT-88
KT-170
Hitachi/RCA 6l6g
Mullard EL34 xf2 (double and single halo)
Telefunken/Siemens EL34
Tesla EL34
TS 6550

Triodes
Thompson CSF 5687
Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z
TS 6SN7GT VT-231s
RCA 5692 red base
Mullard ECC31s
Psvane 6SN7-BE
Brimar 13D9
6N7GT Visseaux ~ECC31 CV1956
6H6N? (no idea where I got this one)

Last edited:

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
That looks nice. My left brain is in command today, so I’m listening DAC-less today using my Lyngdorf 2170 pulse-width modulated amplifier. Like the Mola Mola, the Lyngdorf does no low-level D-to-A conversion. The input bitstream from the server streaming the music is converted to a high bitrate 32 MHz pulse stream, which is then noise-shaped into a 5-bit PWM modulated bitstream that is then directly converted to analog voltage by a passive RC network. The volume control adjusts power supply voltage and is not In the signal path. Of course, you don’t get the warm glow of tubes, sonically and visually. But it’s probably the most transparent path you can get with no conversion to analog till the end and no DAC.

About as far from the complexity of Lampi DACs with their layers of tubes, not to mention the need for additional (pre)amplification. But gosh darn it, no tube rolling is possible with pulse width modulated amplifiers. I kind of feel like it’s similar to the experience I had when I bought my Tesla Model S. I can’t change the oil, can’t mess about with spark plugs, or tweak the turbo engine with aftermarket chips, or change timing belts or the fuel filter or change the transmission. In the four years I’ve owned the Model S, it’s needed no service, just quietly goes about its business getting me to work. All the fun of owning an internal combustion engine car that needs lots of service is gone. Think of all those poor mechanics who are jobless. Aw shucks, this ain’t no fun!

So, it is with Lampi. The fun is the maintenance, the endless tube rolling.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Rolling through the below (not listed in any particular order). Thanks to the many suggestions and conversations with folks here and the helpful research from a few sellers. I agree there is no bad tube for the Horizon and continue to appreciate the differences each combination presents, which are notable. Looking forward to continuing to develop my tube palate. :rolleyes: No rush here, sip at a time.

Rectifiers
TAK 274B
KR Audio 5U4G
Emission Labs 274
Mullard Cv378
Mullard Gz34
Marconi 5u4GB
Marconi 5y3

Pentodes
KT-88
KT-170
Hitachi/RCA 6l6g
Telefunken/Siemens EL34
Tesla EL34
TS 6550

Triodes
Thompson CSF 5687
TS 6SN7GT VT-231s
RCA 5692 red base
Mullard ECC31s
Psvane 6SN7-BE
Brimar 13D9
Man you have so many....how do you decide???? LOL

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them” - Mullard ecc32 ;) :D
Haha. I have the ecc31 w/adapters. Essentially the same, no?

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Rolling through the below (not listed in any particular order). Thanks to the many suggestions and conversations with folks here and the helpful research from a few sellers (ergo perhaps motivated). I agree there is no bad tube for the Horizon and continue to appreciate the differences each combination presents, which are notable. Looking forward to continuing to develop my tube palate. :rolleyes::) No rush here, sip at a time.

Rectifiers
TAK 274B
KR Audio 5U4G
Emission Labs 274
Mullard Cv378
Mullard Gz34
Marconi 5u4GB
Marconi 5y3

Pentodes
KT-88
KT-170
Hitachi/RCA 6l6g
Telefunken/Siemens EL34
Tesla EL34
TS 6550

Triodes
Thompson CSF 5687
TS 6SN7GT VT-231s
RCA 5692 red base
Mullard ECC31s
Psvane 6SN7-BE
Brimar 13D9
This is an epic, epic batch of tubes my friend. I LOVE this forum! It makes me crazy, but I love it. I cannot wait to see what you choose and then try it out in my own mad tube rolling passion. Each twist and turn is crazy good... I have the KT-170s now with Sylvania metal base 6SN7. I am most interested in trying the NOS TS 6550 next, methinks. But they are all so good. The Horizon is mad fun…. In other tube rolling madness, I also just replaced the stock 12AX7 input tubes in my big monos with some recommended 1950s Mazda 12AX7s and holy, moly are they good. Huge difference across the board….

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Rectifiers
TAK 274B
KR Audio 5U4G
Emission Labs 274
Mullard Cv378
Mullard Gz34
Marconi 5u4GB
Marconi 5y3

Pentodes
KT-88
KT-170
Hitachi/RCA 6l6g
Telefunken/Siemens EL34
Tesla EL34
TS 6550

Triodes
Thompson CSF 5687
TS 6SN7GT VT-231s
RCA 5692 red base
Mullard ECC31s
Psvane 6SN7-BE
Brimar 13D9
I used many of the same tubes. As for rectifiers I used almost all you did. One other which I used before I settled on the Tak 274B was the Shuguang GZ480 if you can find it. It was also very good

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Rectifiers
TAK 274B
KR Audio 5U4G
Emission Labs 274
Mullard Cv378
Mullard Gz34
Marconi 5u4GB
Marconi 5y3

Pentodes
KT-88
KT-170
Hitachi/RCA 6l6g
Telefunken/Siemens EL34
Tesla EL34
TS 6550

Triodes
Thompson CSF 5687
TS 6SN7GT VT-231s
RCA 5692 red base
Mullard ECC31s
Psvane 6SN7-BE
Brimar 13D9
I used many of the same tubes. As for rectifiers I used almost all you did. One other which I used before I settled on the Tak 274B was the Shuguang GZ480 if you can find it. It was also very good

IMG_0115.jpeg

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hey boys working on some rolling or not these days? :p .
Well I'm doing my fair share for the sake of fun and as said those cheap Shuguang 6V6 are still rocking the boat and beside nice glow during the night I still like how they perform. Based on the info from a friend here I got a pair of Visseaux 6N7GT (needs adapter) 6n7(ecc31) to 6SN7 and happily listening to them this entire afternoon. Based on http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2011/02/tube-of-month-6n7.html there are bunch of different ones but this Visseaux was recommended and quite dirt cheap so why not to try it out (especially if you have adapters at home). So how it does - engaging, beautiful tone, extended, nice decay, great deep and defined bass, very musical overall. Maybe missing that uber performance of Mullard ecc32 but if someone would be normal this tube combo just kicks a..s for total of 130/140USD (pentode/double triode).
Work in progress on some other tube type - more on that on some other occasion -> read if they perform well when I buy sufficient stash of those:cool::D .

Sayonara for now with a nice night picture...
CCF08B79-156C-4C8E-A98B-A5835B760375.jpeg

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Are the Ecc31 same as 32?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Soundwise? I have 31 currently. Is it worth getting 32? They are expensive….

Last edited:

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Wait. You guys bought a 50 grand DAC and are now complaining about the prices of tubes! That’s like someone buys a Ferrari and then says the tires are too expensive.

Reactions: Willgolf

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing