LampizatOr Horizon - Tube Rolling Paradise

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
The Horizon community rocks. I literally had a dream the other night that I traded my Horizon for some fancy new SS dac. I woke up so relieved in the morning :) Also, I threw the Frankie back in for kicks with the 6384 and it is actually great. Good’ol Frankie!!

Reactions: Golum and Dane33

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Just put in a very old Brimar brown base 5U4G. So far, I have also tried KR RK 5U4G, Sophia 274b, Tak 274b and Frankie…. I will circle back to Tak soon, but I love the Frankie with the 6384/Ecc32. So far, the only thing I am certain about is the Ecc32/31. These always come back no matter what they go up against from globes to metal base and TS 6SN7.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Treasure hoard, my friend. Enough Horizon goodness for lifetimes!!

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Awaiting… :cool:
IMG_4925.jpeg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hide your wallets anytime @Golum posts about tubes
A truer word has never been spoken. Having said that I can promise that what @Golum suggests have always proved special to me ...but it's like cutting off one of your hands to buy the tubes and find back up sets :oops:
@takacs75 is running a close second behind @Golum

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
A truer word has never been spoken. Having said that I can promise that what @Golum suggests have always proved special to me ...but it's like cutting off one of your hands to buy the tubes and find back up sets :oops:
@takacs75 is running a close second behind @Golum
I hope this isn't rectifier related so I can ignore it since I'm on the Pacific train.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Steve Williams

I have friends with Pacific:) And they know things you don’t want to hear:)
‘Knowing‘ typically leads to understanding but in tube rolling knowing only leads to poverty o_O

Knowing takasz and golum are two of the greatest. But it’s going to cost you :cool:

Caveat emptor

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I am making strides. The driver is dialed in via ECC32 & 31. Surprisingly, the 31 w/ adapters works better in certain configurations. Still playing with power and recti. I realize now how much the KT-170s were holding my system back. They are ok tubes, with nice attack and dynamics, but they aren’t that good relative to what’s out there. Currently listening to: ECC31, 6384s and an old brown base Brimar 5u4g recti. Nice combo….

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
‘Knowing‘ typically leads to understanding but in tube rolling knowing only leads to poverty o_O

Knowing takasz and golum are two of the greatest. But it’s going to cost you :cool:

Caveat emptor
I agree that tubes are expensive and also that those two (Gollum and Takasz) are both smart, experienced and good guides. However, having invested so much in rest of the system, I dont feel I can then cheap on the last part and not dial the tubes in to maximize potential. It is worth the time/effort/money…. The 6384s, for example, had a component level impact on my system. I just got the Tungsram power tubes our heroes are raving about, but need to wait a bit to try them….

Steve Williams

I’ve lesr
I agree that tubes are expensive and also that those two (Gollum and Takasz) are both smart, experienced and good guides. However, having invested so much in rest of the system, I dont feel I can then cheap on the last part and not dial the tubes in to maximize potential. It is worth the time/effort/money…. The 6384s, for example, had a component level impact on my system. I just got the Tungsram power tubes our heroes are raving about, but need to wait a bit to try them….
I’ve learned that when talking to Goran and Laszlo you should say hello, how’re you doing” Never ask them “what’s new” unless your coiffures are full :oops:

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I’ve learned that when talking to Goran and Laszlo you should say hello, how’re you doing” Never ask them “what’s new” unless your coiffures are full :oops:
Yup.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I am making strides. The driver is dialed in via ECC32 & 31. Surprisingly, the 31 w/ adapters works better in certain configurations. Still playing with power and recti. I realize now how much the KT-170s were holding my system back. They are ok tubes, with nice attack and dynamics, but they aren’t that good relative to what’s out there. Currently listening to: ECC31, 6384s and an old brown base Brimar 5u4g recti. Nice combo….
Interesting you feel the KT-170's can be beaten by a good margin given that's what a lot of us use as the "standard"

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting you feel the KT-170's can be beaten by a good margin given that's what a lot of us use as the "standard"

Both audioquattr and I did not like the KT 170s as well as other KTs - he had 88 120s in his. We ended up with mullard el34 and ecc 31 drivers as compared to KTs

Reactions: takacs75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing