LampizatOr Horizon - Tube Rolling Paradise

The back plate is quite important, what damping measures are in place there? What capacitors are in there too?

I love all the copper in there:) :)

Looks like transformer coupled outputs?
No transformer phono input 1:20.self-adhesive bitumen insulation
coupling caps mundorf silver/gold in oil.
Power supply 2x ez 81 rectifer choke and philips high grade/nichicon I still had it in the craft box.

No transformer phono input 1:20.self-adhesive bitumen insulation
coupling caps mundorf silver/gold in oil.
Power supply 2x ez 81 rectifer choke and philips high grade/nichicon I still had it in the craft box.
thats good stuff in there Stephen - curious what do you think of the old black gates? Did you have any fondness for them?

Reactions: DasguteOhr
thats good stuff in there Stephen - curious what do you think of the old black gates? Did you have any fondness for them?
I always found it to sound too warm and round. I don't want to generalize, there are certainly devices where the perfect fit. i'm a big fan from nichicon kg super through or kx 450volts model.

Reactions: plasmod3
Anyone have Rs1003 in all 4 slots w/ XLR out?

I just returned home from a LONG trip in Europe. It was epic. Excited to do some rolling. I got home to 4 telefunken C3GS’s and TP wood adapters for them and also 4X RS1003‘s w/ Ian’s adaptors. Will let you know what I think as I try

Attachments

• IMG_0254.jpeg
    IMG_0254.jpeg
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 34
A final comparison between the srs551 tubes. I finally got in the wf srs551 as well as a very rare older disc getter version of the same. Comparison is made with the other tubes posted in a previous thread of the same rs1003 class.. Ie aeg chelmer old and new rs1003

I my system the aeg is definately better still. The wf sounds good to start with but accentuates the higher frequencies. Less textural qualities. I guess that wrap ups the performance reviews of this class of tubes and the most comprehensive of what's out there on the web

So far the telefunken C3GS are a revelation in bliss. Best and most influential tubes I have had in the Horizon! Absolutely stunning. I would say they are a must for squeezing the most out of this dac. I am not sure the rs1003‘s are for me though. They dampen everything quite a bit in my system, moving everything back (even the added gain of the C3GS’s is lost and I am back to equivalent volume of the ECC32’s). Does that lift with burn in? I think perhaps my Marten speakers are sweeter than what some others are using here??? I will continue to play back and forth, but initial impressions for my system are that 4X of the OS1’s works better—more dynamics and a bit more forward. This is only after a couple days though so my impressions may shift. Any rs1003 users have anything to add?

—PS currently using the 2504 recti with Ian’s marvelous adapter. The C3GS’s are in two of the gorgeous wood TP adapters….
—PPS How lucky are we guys to have such amazing craftsmen in this Horizon community?!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0263.jpeg
    IMG_0263.jpeg
    888.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
So far the telefunken C3GS are a revelation in bliss. Best and most influential tubes I have had in the Horizon! Absolutely stunning. I would say they are a must for squeezing the most out of this dac. I am not sure the rs1003‘s are for me though. They dampen everything quite a bit in my system, moving everything back (even the added gain of the C3GS’s is lost and I am back to equivalent volume of the ECC32’s). Does that lift with burn in? I think perhaps my Marten speakers are sweeter than what some others are using here??? I will continue to play back and forth, but initial impressions for my system are that 4X of the OS1’s works better—more dynamics and a bit more forward. This is only after a couple days though so my impressions may shift. Any rs1003 users have anything to add?

—PS currently using the 2504 recti with Ian’s marvelous adapter. The C3GS’s are in two of the gorgeous wood TP adapters….
—PPS How lucky are we guys to have such amazing craftsmen in this Horizon community?!!!
I would suggest you reach out to Laszlo for a Special Edition TP adapter for the Valvo . This addition for me tamed the sound and made it far more enjoyable

• Love
Reactions: takacs75
You mean the rs1003’s were dampening your dynamics and moving the soundstage back as well? And switching recti adapter fixed this?
I’m open to it, but I am also keen on the idea of supporting all the marvelous makers here in their endeavors :)

We will make TP adapters for the OS1 tubes too:) and of couse for the SRS/RS1003
My SE version is on order for my SRS551 along with additional Star Grounding made by Laszlo

The RS1003 has always been a but dampening and much more noticeable if you use a quad than a pair. Hence always balance it up using a 807 type tube on the other side or a 6384. 807 tube = p17c = os1 etcetc. there is a good reason for the damping using a quad i believe but thats another conversation for another time:)

The RS1003 has always been a but dampening and much more noticeable if you use a quad than a pair. Hence always balance it up using a 807 type tube on the other side or a 6384. 807 tube = p17c = os1 etcetc. there is a good reason for the damping using a quad i believe but thats another conversation for another time:)
It is strange. I’ve experienced quite the opposite with the SRS tubes. Although I only use 2:)

It is strange. I’ve experienced quite the opposite with the SRS tubes. Although I only use 2:)
Me too. I only use a set. I would never describe it as dampened at all

Do we know that tubes in the right bank are even used for single-ended output? I know you can leave them empty so it surprises me that having something in those sockets would affect the sound.

you can leave them empty but upsets my OCD personality ;)
Seems like you still did not reach the ultimate state of OCD where both banks NEED to be the same :D (I'm there BTW)

• Love
Reactions: takacs75
The other bank outputs sound actually David. If you run se just put tubes in the right bank, there is still sound output from the speakers just a very very low level. I brought it up many posts back but that's another layer to help fine tune the sound further.

The sound does dampens if you run 4 and by a lot. 2 isnt that bad. Besides the aeg, the rest seem to dampened the midrange yes. Run 4 and the whole range dampens. That is why the rs1003 is quite synergistic with the c3gs

Seems like you still did not reach the ultimate state of OCD where both banks NEED to be the same :D (I'm there BTW)
Trust me. I indeed was there until I realized the tubes were merely eye appeal and for the cost I stopped doing this with the tubes I am using. Far too expensive I use a set of TS KT170 in that bank. So I let the dominant half of my brain determine my OCD personality. :oops:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing