Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

At least stick those rare suckers in your Pacific for a test drive :eek:

If you don't like them, you can still sell them but after you already have them, you owe it to yourself to try them :D
Thanks, I did. Great on the GG. PX25 better on the Pac. Larry

Reactions: christoph
This may be a great list of tubes but it isn't very practical since most of these are either not obtainable or very hard to find (at a decent price).

Right now my top list for my Pacific are (not in any order):

1 - RD27AS - equally unobtainable
2 - RCA/Cunningham 112A - cheap and easy obtainable
3 - WE 300B Reissues - $1500 and easily obtainable
RD27AS is super rare at the moment so it would seem.

I have a love/hate relationship with it for some reason. Seems to be the most polarising tube I have.

AD1(n) is appreciably better in my system as a liked valve over time and it isn't anywhere near as hard to find.

I nearly put it in my list of 2nd bests but it was a near miss.

For anyone interested if you see a pair buy them and see what you think.

AD1(n) is just better suited to a Lampi type DAC as an output stage I think.

RD27AS just looks fucking cool in situ no question. Like it should be the best. But for the purposes RD27AS was designed for AD1(n) doubtless couldn't cut it.

As a hifi DAC triode output stage RCA level output device, AD1(n) just rules in my book, all factors considered.

I do speak with decades of practical valve experience in the hi-fi realm here. For whatever that's worth. But obviously it means a lot to me and I know I am right LOL.

Last edited:
If you think rolling valves can sometimes be a bit frustrating, try real instruments!

I put this bone bridge into my Gibson SJ200 Custom Cutaway recently. I have just this moment taken it out and put it in a clamp to file it down so I get the action height I want over all my strings.

Whilst I have got that right, this bone bridge sounds as bright as hell. I am definitely going back to a synthetic one soon.

Just like hi-fi, seemingly small mods can make a big difference!
IMG_20210619_134328.jpg

I've been testing a variety of tubes for some time now. To that end, based on the many positive reviews on this forum, I purchased a matched pair of KR242RK in February.
In my constellation (B7 , 2position heater switch) these do not seem to be able to develop their full potential. For this reason, I would like to ask if one of you is interested. The tubes were only 3 days in my Lampi and run about 20h. Purchasing price was 1106€. I would sell them for 750€ plus shipment costs.

I've been testing a variety of tubes for some time now. To that end, based on the many positive reviews on this forum, I purchased a matched pair of KR242RK in February.
In my constellation (B7 , 2position heater switch) these do not seem to be able to develop their full potential. For this reason, I would like to ask if one of you is interested. The tubes were only 3 days in my Lampi and run about 20h. Purchasing price was 1106€. I would sell them for 750€ plus shipment costs.
With all due respect I believe they deserve more burn in time then 20h and secondly if you plan to "roll" your unit for newer unit like b7mk2 or GG2 they might be your top pick...just my two cents

Question: where or how do you guys store your tubes which you periodically roll in and out of your Lampis? I have around 6 rectifiers and several pairs of DHT triodes I roll into my Big 7 and they are somewhat of an eyesore on my rack. Photos please.

Reactions: findog
Question: where or how do you guys store your tubes which you periodically roll in and out of your Lampis? I have around 6 rectifiers and several pairs of DHT triodes I roll into my Big 7 and they are somewhat of an eyesore on my rack. Photos please.
You don't wanna know ;) ...all around the basement and quite a few inside the Pac Flight case :D

Yup all over the place. If I lined my collection up domino style it'd go for a long way... many tens of feet. Not just Lampi triodes, though.

Pushing the first one could cost me a fortune:D

I did think about making a display rack but that would also cost a fortune in tube sockets etc.

I agree with Goran regarding their potential to sound very different in another Lampi.

I have heard my collection change in personality quite markedly over various changes to my what once was a Lampi.

TBH I don't really buy the extra hours of burn in stuff. Always found it to be bullshit.

So if you don't like them now and have no plans to upgrade, sell the fuckers.

I spent a good while with RK 300B. Sold them. They were ultimately not worth anything like the money asked sonically.

They were pretty, though. KR and EML are ace at that.

Reactions: MOME
I agree with Goran regarding their potential to sound very different in another Lampi.

I have heard my collection change in personality quite markedly over various changes to my what once was a Lampi.

TBH I don't really buy the extra hours of burn in stuff. Always found it to be bullshit.

So if you don't like them now and have no plans to upgrade, sell the fuckers.

I spent a good while with RK 300B. Sold them. They were ultimately not worth anything like the money asked sonically.

They were pretty, though. KR and EML are ace at that.
It's interesting that the RK 300B's continue to be the best match in my system for a couple of years now. I think it all gets down to total system gestalt, room interactions, personal tastes, etc. For me, the RK's just have the best balance of "meat on the bones" while revealing enough musical information to satisfy me. I would be very interested to try the 242's and the PX25's, however.....

It's interesting that the RK 300B's continue to be the best match in my system for a couple of years now. I think it all gets down to total system gestalt, room interactions, personal tastes, etc. For me, the RK's just have the best balance of "meat on the bones" while revealing enough musical information to satisfy me. I would be very interested to try the 242's and the PX25's, however.....
That is really interesting how some tubes work in one's system and others don't. And vice-versa :eek:
In the end it has to please your own ears in your own system to your own taste.

Where do you live?
There is someone close to you who could lend you his 242 or PX25.
Or even better, bring them to your place and have a listen and compare to your tubes that he maybe doesn't know :cool:

Yup all over the place. If I lined my collection up domino style it'd go for a long way... many tens of feet. Not just Lampi triodes, though.

Pushing the first one could cost me a fortune:D

I did think about making a display rack but that would also cost a fortune in tube sockets etc.
Case in point a risky photo of my 211 collection as it was some years back...

:)

211.jpg

Medical equipment seems to be popular for repurposing. Round Lazy Susan Autoclave/Incubator rack like the baddies use to store their fictional commentary on the pharma industry in movies?

That is really interesting how some tubes work in one's system and others don't. And vice-versa :eek:
In the end it has to please your own ears in your own system to your own taste.

Where do you live?
There is someone close to you who could lend you his 242 or PX25.
Or even better, bring them to your place and have a listen and compare to your tubes that he maybe doesn't know :cool:
Wouldn't that be great! I'm in Minneapolis, MN USA.

Oh, my! Looks like a lifetime supply ready to topple!
They are more robust than they look. However, a flip or flick of the fingers and who knows what would happen there.

Some fingers flip/flick harder than others.

:)

Just picked up a second pair of RCA 112a's for the B7. Terrific tubes for $50/pair. Even though I didn't need a second pair, my first pair sounds so good I wanted to have a spare. Playing Beethoven's Sonata No. 31 hi-res on Qobuz (Yukilo Hasegawa - Eternal Longing) and the Lampi is really making the piano notes have noticeable decay between the notes. Just lovely and soothing is the best way to describe what I'm hearing.

Reactions: christoph and Golum
Just picked up a second pair of RCA 112a's for the B7. Terrific tubes for $50/pair. Even though I didn't need a second pair, my first pair sounds so good I wanted to have a spare. Playing Beethoven's Sonata No. 31 hi-res on Qobuz (Yukilo Hasegawa - Eternal Longing) and the Lampi is really making the piano notes have noticeable decay between the notes. Just lovely and soothing is the best way to describe what I'm hearing.
Have you also tried the 01a tubes?

Have you also tried the 01a tubes?
I also have two pairs of 01a’s which I bought on the advice of Goran. Also excellent tubes at a screaming bargain price. I just bought a pair of the EML 45 special Lampizator edition mesh globe tubes. When I get them I’ll report back how they compare to these tubes which cost around 10-15 times less! I have the feeling the 01a and 112a will not disappoint, and will give these 45 tubes a run for their money. Any thoughts on comparisons between these lower priced antique tubes and those like the special Lampi editions which cost exponentially more?

Reactions: christoph
I also have two pairs of 01a’s which I bought on the advice of Goran. Also excellent tubes at a screaming bargain price. I just bought a pair of the EML 45 special Lampizator edition mesh globe tubes. When I get them I’ll report back how they compare to these tubes which cost around 10-15 times less! I have the feeling the 01a and 112a will not disappoint, and will give these 45 tubes a run for their money. Any thoughts on comparisons between these lower priced antique tubes and those like the special Lampi editions which cost exponentially more?
Have you also compared the 01a's to other tubes so far?
If yes, what is your verdict?

Reactions: RDSChicago

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing