Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Question: where or how do you guys store your tubes which you periodically roll in and out of your Lampis? I have around 6 rectifiers and several pairs of DHT triodes I roll into my Big 7 and they are somewhat of an eyesore on my rack. Photos please.
20C29A42-7F3E-41D5-A777-1800C0672ADF.jpegThis is my closet -converted -to -office in the back of my listening room. It is my ”Harry Potter“ office according to my family. The music is ripped to the PC and goes via USB through a crawl space to the DAC. Don’t worry, the door closes. :)

Anyway, received recently and listening to ST shape 01a’s as well as RCA/Cunningham globe 112a’s this weekend. I have RCA/Cunningham ST shaped 112a’s as my reference currently.

Cheers all from SC USA.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph
I'm keen to try some 300B tubes in my Pacific to compare to the KR242 and RKPX25's I have. What would peoples' top picks be?

Anyway, received recently and listening to ST shape 01a’s as well as RCA/Cunningham globe 112a’s this weekend. I have RCA/Cunningham ST shaped 112a’s as my reference currently.
Do I understand you correctly?
Your current favorite is the 112a but you haven't seriously compared the 01a to them yet?

Last edited:
I'm keen to try some 300B tubes in my Pacific to compare to the KR242 and RKPX25's I have. What would peoples' top picks be?

Western Electric reissue is my favorite 300B in the Pacific.

I need to do a critical listening comparison between the 01a and 112a. Christoph, I gather you prefer the 01a? Can you describe the differences you perceive?

Do I understand you correctly?
Your current favorite is the 112a but you haven't seriously compared the 01a to them yet?
The new (to me) 01a’s I will be trying are Philco ST shaped -not quite as old as the Cunningham globe shaped 01a’s that I have had for awhile. The Cunninghams globe 01a’s are nice but also very microphonic.

@dminches - David as you have WE and 112/12a how would you rate them performance wise taking into account price delta?

@dminches - David as you have WE and 112/12a how would you rate them performance wise taking into account price delta?

I will let you know after I put the 112as back in. I have been listening to the WE300Bs exclusively to break them in.

I need to do a critical listening comparison between the 01a and 112a. Christoph, I gather you prefer the 01a? Can you describe the differences you perceive?
I have to admit that I only listened for some minutes each to both of them and that was already some time ago :oops:
I need to give them more time and then properly compare but from my VERY brief listen, I indeed prefer the 01a.

I was also trying different output tubes for my TRP and then also a lot of different recties and then it is very hot so I stay outside more than usual and then there are times when I just want to listen to music and not compare in the limited time I find for listening :rolleyes:

Reactions: RDSChicago
I have and didn’t really like them in the Pacific. They sounded better in my Big 7.
Pity
What recti did you pair the Taka 300b with?

I found the Taka 300b underwhelming except when paired with the Taka 274b recti. That combo had real magic imho :cool:

Pity
What recti did you pair the Taka 300b with?

I found the Taka 300b underwhelming except when paired with the Taka 274b recti. That combo had real magic imho :cool:

Tak 274B!

Tak 274B!
Funny, that combo did nothing for me with my ex-GG1.9 but I find the holy Taka Trinity (as @Alrainbow calls them) magical with my Pacific.
Exactly the opposite of your experience :oops:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: ctydwn
5690FC4F-C371-4236-8BE5-CA4DE30E725E.jpegThe Philco ST shaped 01a’s certainly look cool -still evaluating how they sound.

Just installed my new EML Lampizator 45 anniversary mesh globe tube. Thank you to AstroToy for a perfect transaction. Sounding quite open, deep and intoxicating. Check out Cassandra Wilson singing Tupelo Honey with your Lampi. Incredible. Her opening vocals light up the room. Here’s a shot of the tubes. Note the cool Lampizator logo etched into the rear of each tube 49577F9A-1F95-4E1C-8953-AD9DAAD522FC.jpeg

IMO the 01a and 112a are each such a relative bargain that anyone with a Lampi should grab a pair of each and never look back. They are incredible in their own right and for the price the best I could ever imagine putting into my Lampi!

Reactions: christoph and Golum
Just installed my new EML Lampizator 45 anniversary mesh globe tube. Thank you to AstroToy for a perfect transaction. Sounding quite open, deep and intoxicating. Check out Cassandra Wilson singing Tupelo Honey with your Lampi. Incredible. Her opening vocals light up the room. Here’s a shot of the tubes. Note the cool Lampizator logo etched into the rear of each tube View attachment 79528
Glad you like the Anni Globes :cool:

IMO the 01a and 112a are each such a relative bargain that anyone with a Lampi should grab a pair of each and never look back. They are incredible in their own right and for the price the best I could ever imagine putting into my Lampi!
How would you rate the 01a and 112a against the usual suspects?
Purely on sonics, NOT factoring in their nice price

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing