Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
tapatalk_-1533226731.jpeg tapatalk_-1821266832.jpeg tapatalk_-140809488.jpeg

Mil spec selection switch, Ron Coleman, heat sink, custom Toroidy.

Starting to get real.:)

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
As ad1 adapter arrived after two and a half months of waiting I was finally being able to try out Tesla ad1n. Here I will just stop and clarify one thing. There is original AD1 tube, Philips Miniwatt 4683 which spec wise is the same as AD1 and then there is Tesla AD1n. They all need 4V as heater voltage but they have different current spec so hence they should be used on diff heater settings in Pacific and GG2. Tesla goes to 101d/PX25 setting while regular AD1 and 4683 on PX4 setting (double checked with Yoda).
After nice burn in of Teslas i started listening this afternoon and I have to agree with Justin that this tube performs absolutely exceptional and is shining across the board in all audiophile terms. Do I like it more than KR242RK - yes i do, do I like it more than RD27AS - actually i don't. I would say main difference in my system and to my deaf ears is that RD creates a bit more of everything - more speed, more details, bigger stage, digs deeper and keeps things very tight and precise. Also i had a feeling that overall presentation is leaning a bit to "darker" side if I may say so.
Is the difference massive? No, not at all its rather smalish but still if you're looking for the needle in the haystack than go for RD27 otherwise without a shadow of a doubt pick Tesla AD1n.
Not to forget two things - inserting tube into adapter is rather strange as you need to align pins and push the tube into socket but somehow you have a feeling that you might break a tube (guess you won't) - but i still have no clue how to pull it out. Secondly, gain wise - it's normal and I would rate it around the level of 300b (as Norman already advised) so very easy on the preamp side.
Tested with ACME rectifier not to be forgotten.

All in all I can't be happier with those two options (RD27 & AD1n) and thanks Justin for raving about this one.

Happy listening gents!

Cheers;
G
9D363183-D0FC-4032-BE5E-0EDE4B3C646D.jpeg

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Goran what put you onto the RDs? Just curious. Me ranting in about AD1n?

I'm just happy someone else realises just how great Tesla valves are. And they are right up there at the top and have been for a very long time. I hope other Lampi users latch on.

What's more, despite the scarcity they are silly cheap. I mean they are crime steal cheap for the performance.

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Goran what put you into the RDs? Just curious. Me ranting in about AD1n?

I'm just happy someone else realises just how great Tesla valves are. And they are right up there at the top and have been for a very long time. I hope other Lampi users latch on.

What's more, despite the scarcity they are silly cheap. I mean they are crime steal cheap for the performance.
To be honest i was looking into PX25 options on the ebay (still am) and saw that somebody placed an ad mentioning that RD27 is a high power version of PX25...so i just jumped on it...and then started exploring diff DHT options so i have few more in the pipeline...just to spice things up a bit and not to be glued for the normal tube offers....;)
Tesla wise - you’re spot on...there will be few surprises in the other Lampi camp...

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
I do worry Goran that after getting such an exotic tube and waiting so long for adapters, you'd be unlikely not to love it! Could you give us a review after a few weeks with what you see as the key differences? I think after spending time with the 242 it is very transparent. I'm wondering if the other valves you have now are more coloured so it'll be down to personal taste? Anyway let us know! :)

Reactions: Golum and bonzo75

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Oh BTW Goran hold the base of the AD1n firmly. Do NOT hold the glass. Then just tip the AD1n to the side and it will pop out.

Don't try and pull it out straight by the glass or the base.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Oh BTW Goran hold the base of the AD1n firmly. Do NOT hold the glass. Then just tip the AD1n to the side and it will pop out.

Don't try and pull it out straight by the glass or the base.
I do worry Goran that after getting such an exotic tube and waiting so long for adapters, you'd be unlikely not to love it! Could you give us a review after a few weeks with what you see as the key differences? I think after spending time with the 242 it is very transparent. I'm wondering if the other valves you have now are more coloured so it'll be down to personal taste? Anyway let us know! :)
Hi Tim,

Will for sure do what you said but it’s not about waiting and liking. I do have many top notch tubes and can say what i like and don’t like about particular pairs. I would not call those two models colored at all, but as you said let them play longer and lets see. Good thing is several guys here will be getting same sets so we’ll be able to agree or disagree about what i said. Which still won’t change my mind about RD particurarly as I’ve been using it now for good 10 days and I stay at my judgment. For ad1n I’m aligned with what Justin was saying...
Anyhow what i always like to stress is “in my system with my deaf ears” ;):).

Take care!
Cheers,
G

Justin thanks for the above note! Appreciated!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yup when my DAC is back it genuinely will drive AD1n and RD27AS at ideal levels.

I did say to Goran I thought RD might be a bit better than AD1n but until I get my DAC back I dunno if I will prefer it. It definitely looks the part, though.

Here's a thought on the 101D/PX25. I would have thought Lampi aligned more for KR PX25 which is 1.5 amps.

So I wonder how close to 4V 2A GG2 and Pac get. It might be really close but I just dunno.

BTW Goran my Marconi Osram PX25 were delivered yesterday but we were out. Re-delivery is Saturday but at least I know the seller at least sent them!;)

I think the pins in AD1n are stronger than you might think but not stressing the glass against the base is really important and it can be hard not to do it. It is fiddly, no question.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Any views on the Marconi U52? What does this sound like? Is it worth trying? I have a GG2.

Cheers, Tim
It's my third favorite tune in the Golden Gate. It tends to have a prominent lower mid-bass in my system that isn't ultimately to my taste but can suit one's system if called for.

Reactions: Tim F

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Btw, have you had some time to play with the engraved WE274B? Is it worth the hype, and cost?
I did Adam and i posted somewhere here. To be mentioned that I used it after ACME which is my daily recti and yes it is better no question asked but not night and day better. Taking into account price delta I’ll stick with ACME or RK and this one I’ll use for “show off” purposes only :). Also I believe i said that as well, but person from whom i got it and has all the tubes you can imagine (and in big numbers), states that Taka 274b surpasses it in performance. Price wise they are around the same but Taka being readily available.

Reactions: adamaley

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Hi Tim,

Will for sure do what you said but it’s not about waiting and liking. I do have many top notch tubes and can say what i like and don’t like about particular pairs. I would not call those two models colored at all, but as you said let them play longer and lets see. Good thing is several guys here will be getting same sets so we’ll be able to agree or disagree about what i said. Which still won’t change my mind about RD particurarly as I’ve been using it now for good 10 days and I stay at my judgment. For ad1n I’m aligned with what Justin was saying...
Anyhow what i always like to stress is “in my system with my deaf ears” ;):).

Take care!
Cheers,
G

Justin thanks for the above note! Appreciated!

Thanks to Goran's source, I will have a pair of the Tesla AD1ns incoming after the Easter break.

I ordered the adapters a week or so ago, so based on Goran's 2.5 month wait, I'll just need to sit tight. Luckily, I have a audiophile server build project that will tide me over. This Lampi GG just keeps asking to be fed the best food possible ;-)

Reactions: Zero000 and Golum

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I was reading on the EML website that Chinese AD1 adapters are dodgy and what you really want is those made years ago.

They may be better, but TBH the ones I have are pretty good and those made years ago aren't converters.

I guess the socket was made to allow mounting at awkward angles without the valve ever coming loose, especially in aircraft etc where vibration was high.

Anyway adamaley I am pretty sure you will like them but be sure to give us feedback. It will be interesting to know if it is universally liked or not.

Goran what are the date codes on yours? Just curious.

I have visions of a DAC with B4, UX4 and P8A sockets built in with a selection switch... so you could have three different socket type tubes permanently loaded in the DAC. How cool would that be?

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I was reading on the EML website that Chinese AD1 adapters are dodgy and what you really want is those made years ago.

They may be better, but TBH the ones I have are pretty good and those made years ago aren't converters.

I guess the socket was made to allow mounting at awkward angles without the valve ever coming loose, especially in aircraft etc where vibration was high.

Anyway adamaley I am pretty sure you will like them but be sure to give us feedback. It will be interesting to know if it is universally liked or not.

Goran what are the date codes on yours? Just curious.

I have visions of a DAC with B4, UX4 and P8A sockets built in with a selection switch...
Will check the date codes.
Was thinking yesterday after your question why i went with those ad1ns...actually beside your writting about them i have several good friends who’ve been raving about them, but being used in power amps so this combined with your writting triggered the “reaction”.. I love the fact Adam is getting them, as now with four of us in the camp we have a nice sample to draw a better conclusion.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Some treasures from the past just arrived.

Pics don't do them justice they are gorgeous in the flesh. Even the wife commented. Quite large too. Quite a bit bigger than RKs for instance.

Internally absolutely identical.

How these have survived the best part of 100 odd years in this condition is beyond me.

IMG_20200411_123505.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200411_123620.jpg
    IMG_20200411_123620.jpg
    813.9 KB · Views: 155

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing