bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Mamma mia where did you dig those out?!?:eek:...amazing...

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Found them in my money pocket;)

The very old man that once owned them says they are unused.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
They certainly look like that...now i envy you :D

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
They sure look like they came right off the factory floor. Congrats on the purchase. Definite keepers regardless of their sound.

Reactions: wisnon

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Good news my Lampizator is finished. I have been told I will be impressed by the lack of hum.

So Lucasz, let's see what putting a competent engineer on my DAC actually results in. A damn site better result than your boys I suspect.

Reactions: ingemar

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Not a tube question but what type of fuses are people using, fast or slow burn?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Most gear uses small, slow-blow. Occasionally, I come across something that needs large, but can't recall any fast-blow,. The latter wouldn't be tolerated for long by users. And I can't emphasize enough if SR is used, go up above spec at least 25%. Just had one blow. The Supratek preamp builder had told me 2A was fine back when I made the order, when SR was selling 3-for-2, so I got a 2.5A, although it turns out he supplies 3.15A and says max 4A in the instructions. In any case, the 2.5A was sufficient until yesterday, when I plugged in an extra set of ICs to my subs to burn in the cables ahead of setting up the subs, and started up the preamp. Nothing... That's SR. Audio Magic fuses do run to spec in my experience, as do the HiFi Supreme ones, as I recall.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Most gear uses small, slow-blow. Occasionally, I come across something that needs large, but can't recall any fast-blow,. The latter wouldn't be tolerated for long by users. And I can't emphasize enough if SR is used, go up above spec at least 25%. Just had one blow. The Supratek preamp builder had told me 2A was fine back when I made the order, when SR was selling 3-for-2, so I got a 2.5A, although it turns out he supplies 3.15A and says max 4A in the instructions. In any case, the 2.5A was sufficient until yesterday, when I plugged in an extra set of ICs to my subs to burn in the cables ahead of setting up the subs, and started up the preamp. Nothing... That's SR. Audio Magic fuses do run to spec in my experience, as do the HiFi Supreme ones, as I recall.

Do the SR fuses come with any warranty?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Do the SR fuses come with any warranty?

From the SR Orange page: "As always, you are welcome to try Synergistic Research ORANGE Fuses in your system for 30-days risk-free and return them to your SR dealer for a full refund if you are not completely satisfied." Their Red, Black and Blue fuses have similar statements.

Does that cover blown fuses? I'd say definitely yes, if used at spec or even above. If you're not familiar with the sound of the version you're buying, I'd go with a dealer and talk about what happens if a fuse blows. Having done that, I can buy used or new/little used from private parties that don't need what they have.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Asked the engineer who serviced my DAC which of the valves he liked best out of the ones I sent him.

He only had a limited choice. EML Globe Mesh 45, Tung Sol 6A3 and Tesla AD1.

Answer: Tesla AD1. Reason? Plenty of heft at the bottom end.

Another vote for AD1.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
...until the beast arrives...:D

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Thanks to Goran's source, I will have a pair of the Tesla AD1ns incoming after the Easter break.

I ordered the adapters a week or so ago, so based on Goran's 2.5 month wait, I'll just need to sit tight. Luckily, I have a audiophile server build project that will tide me over. This Lampi GG just keeps asking to be fed the best food possible ;-)
The wait wont be so long. I ordered at same time as Goran and got it 2 -3 weeks earlier. Besides our wait included the China shutdown.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am scouring the internet for a pair of Tesla RD27AS. Nothing yet. They aren't the most common tube.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I am scouring the internet for a pair of Tesla RD27AS. Nothing yet. They aren't the most common tube.

No they are not. They are rare.

This seller is OK I have used him.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114177053074

He only has one at the moment at 75%.

I bought a pair from him at 75% which should be fine. I also have a pair at 100% coming.

I would PM the seller and ask if he expects anymore in.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
No they are not. They are rare.

This seller is OK I have used him.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114177053074

He only has one at the moment at 75%.

I bought a pair from him at 75% which should be fine. I also have a pair at 100% coming.

I would PM the seller and ask if he expects anymore in.

Thanks.

I did email him but he said that's all he had.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing