Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I've said before I rate Marconi/Osram PX25 with acoustic music very highly. This was just staggering earlier, so much so I had to try and get it across.

Of course it's a fail. But hey.

The speed and clarity was just uterrly mind numbing.

Rectifier STC 5R4GY. Much better choice with PX25 than Westinghouse VU71, which is too warm and rounded for PX25.

The room is a mess a real dumping ground at the moment but it will get sorted out.

Shot on a OnePlus 6 mobile phone.

• Angry
Reactions: Golum

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Using my VPN it appears to have been blocked in a lot of countries. It was OK in the US for a while, then wasn't. Problem is it was a track off Amazon Music. YouTube videos of copyrighted music don't get blocked in a lot of cases.

Talk about inconsistent. Unlucky in this case. It was a Rodrigo Y Gabriela track.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
What is the difference between the STC 5R4GY and the Brimar version, if any? I've read Brimar was part of STC prior to 1960, but don't know the relationship in the branding or construction. I picked up the pictured undated Brimar NOS dual O getter from that eBay seller in India who seems to have a ton of tubes, although this one w/o markings (says they rubbed off). But any doubts about its origin seem to disappear in playback: It's the quietist and in some ways most addictive recti I've come across (being used in a Supratek preamp). Not quite as (modestly) warm as I normally favor, but not unpleasantly far off either.

Attachments

• eBay photo - 4.jpg
    eBay photo - 4.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 10

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I just got a pair of 01As. Before I use them I would like to clean the glass which is pretty crusty with dried dirt. What should I use? Soap and water? Isopropyl alcohol?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I just got a pair of 01As. Before I use them I would like to clean the glass which is pretty crusty with dried dirt. What should I use? Soap and water? Isopropyl alcohol?
Hahaha - i just did exactly that yesterday - some water on paper towel and gently removed the dirt. Looked like new...and thoriated tungsteen is beautiful and they sound beautiful..

Reactions: dminches

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hahaha - i just did exactly that yesterday - some water on paper towel and gently removed the dirt. Looked like new...and thoriated tungsteen is beautiful and they sound beautiful..

Excellent. They are usable without any adapters, correct? Just checking because my tube tester had a weird note about the shorting pin.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Yes - plug and play on 300b setting (5v heater)..
Which ones you got?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
RCA 01A - ST bottle shape

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Same as mine :cool:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
This RCA 01A is a sweet sounding tube. It will take me a while to get a good feel for it but I like what I am hearing.

What’s the difference between a 01A and 201A?

<edit> It looks like “2” meant RCA and “3” meant Cunningham. Not sure if only RCA made 01As.

Reactions: RDSChicago

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
This RCA 01A is a sweet sounding tube. It will take me a while to get a good feel for it but I like what I am hearing.

<edit> It looks like “2” meant RCA and “3” meant Cunningham. Not sure if only RCA made 01As.
No idea honestly but i know who knows ;) (Shawn F.)

RDSChicago

Nov 12, 2013

Just picked up a pair of 01a’s (Cunningham) and they sound great. Good recommendation, Goran!

Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I'm constantly asking myself if I am doing the right thing running these Marconi/Osram PX25s, I am almost emblasoned with guilt.

But the filaments now look far more consistently lit than they did a few months ago after probably 30 hours use running at spec voltage. There was a part of the filament in one valve that was far to brightly lit but usage is seriously correcting that. And transfering from KR PX4 to the aforementioned does not bode well for KR. In fact they are so far behind it's a joke.

Hey, ho. Apologies for being brutally honest.

RDSChicago

Nov 12, 2013
Just purchased a NOS CRC-5R4GY JAN 1940s dark brownbase RCA, double D bottom getters at "V" angles from Brent Jesse. Here’s what he has to say: “New Old Stock White Box, ST "coke bottle" shape, military spec tubes. Not to be confused with the later JAN RCA version of this tube, that only has a single bottom getter. These are the first production 1940s World War II type, with the double D bottom getters set at angles to each other in the bottom of each tube ("V" shape), hanging filaments (top "fishing pole" filament supports) long dull black plates, extra support rods, very dark brown base and circular top mica. Clients are raving about this amazing tube (see below)! This tube will rival if not outperform the famed 274B Western Electric, and they are just as scarce. Save $800 over the 274B and we guarantee you will agree this is the best! All have the early type dark brown micanol base with the military markings. Tested for low noise and perfect internal matching. This is the rectifier people are talking about, no one else has this early version of this incredible tube!”

Has anyone tried this one? For a Big 7.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Just purchased a NOS CRC-5R4GY JAN 1940s dark brownbase RCA, double D bottom getters at "V" angles from Brent Jesse. Here’s what he has to say: “New Old Stock White Box, ST "coke bottle" shape, military spec tubes. Not to be confused with the later JAN RCA version of this tube, that only has a single bottom getter. These are the first production 1940s World War II type, with the double D bottom getters set at angles to each other in the bottom of each tube ("V" shape), hanging filaments (top "fishing pole" filament supports) long dull black plates, extra support rods, very dark brown base and circular top mica. Clients are raving about this amazing tube (see below)! This tube will rival if not outperform the famed 274B Western Electric, and they are just as scarce. Save $800 over the 274B and we guarantee you will agree this is the best! All have the early type dark brown micanol base with the military markings. Tested for low noise and perfect internal matching. This is the rectifier people are talking about, no one else has this early version of this incredible tube!”

Has anyone tried this one? For a Big 7.

Be interested on your thoughts after it has a chance to burn in. I have an early 1950s version. Although I like a modestly warm sound, I found it overly euphonic, like some of the life was being drained out of the music. RCA tubes have the reputation for being in that direction, so I wonder if the early 1940 ones are enough less so to get the kind of praise Jessee gives.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing