Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Just purchased a NOS CRC-5R4GY JAN 1940s dark brownbase RCA, double D bottom getters at "V" angles from Brent Jesse. Here’s what he has to say: “New Old Stock White Box, ST "coke bottle" shape, military spec tubes. Not to be confused with the later JAN RCA version of this tube, that only has a single bottom getter. These are the first production 1940s World War II type, with the double D bottom getters set at angles to each other in the bottom of each tube ("V" shape), hanging filaments (top "fishing pole" filament supports) long dull black plates, extra support rods, very dark brown base and circular top mica. Clients are raving about this amazing tube (see below)! This tube will rival if not outperform the famed 274B Western Electric, and they are just as scarce. Save $800 over the 274B and we guarantee you will agree this is the best! All have the early type dark brown micanol base with the military markings. Tested for low noise and perfect internal matching. This is the rectifier people are talking about, no one else has this early version of this incredible tube!”

Has anyone tried this one? For a Big 7.
Brent tells the best stories;)

Here's my RCA 5R4GY. I think it is OK I have certainly used it for a few weeks in total. Must have had it a few years now.

It's a later RCA/VICTOR smooth black plate/black base with one rectangular getter.

In my humble opinion, though, I have never owned an RCA in any valve type that I have considered to be the best of that type.

One day maybe something from them will prove me wrong!;)
IMG_20210212_231524.jpg

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I had RCA 5R4GY (not the old ww2 production) and it was boring ie nothing special while this 5u4g with top getter is really really good. 292A9CB3-B6ED-4C4F-8DE3-F8C23A42A047.jpeg 392B26E6-97D3-4EB7-95B6-9C2CCB861ECA.jpeg

Reactions: Zero000

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have just got around to using the JLSounds USB board I had installed.

I am impressed so far. Switching between coax and USB the JLSounds immediately has the edge. Sounds clearer and better defined.

Windows 10 took to it straight away, no driver installation required.

I think it's safe to say it is better than the Amanero.

I am just using the stock board, don't forget. When I put the oscillator board in it will probably lift it further. Seems like it isn't worth it as this does seem very good anyway. But til you try...

Reactions: wisnon and iain

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The USB output of my projector also worked straight away. So the comparison with coax and USB was via the projector's coax output.

That's hardly an audiophile piece of kit, so the comparison isn't that valid, I would say.

Also, via the projector, there are some occasional tiny skips in sonic output. That may be the projector's fault. That said USB is a bit notorious for losing the plot. Forums are full of posts with issues and I have had them in the past myself.

EDIT: the projector sound skips have disappeared today. Unsure why, but hey.

Last edited:

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
I had RCA 5R4GY (not the old ww2 production) and it was boring ie nothing special while this 5u4g with top getter is really really good. View attachment 74937 View attachment 74938
That is unusual RCA tube and I have never seen it before. I do like the oldest, smooth plate, D getter RCA rectifers and belive this one might be good too.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
That is unusual RCA tube and I have never seen it before. I do like the oldest, smooth plate, D getter RCA rectifers and belive this one might be good too.
TBH looking at the structure of (legendary) TungSol WW2 ('39-'48/9) top getter production this RCA quite resembles that one so i would not be surprised if this RCA is relabeled TungSol...just a wild guess/idea

RDSChicago

Nov 12, 2013
Just purchased a NOS CRC-5R4GY JAN 1940s dark brownbase RCA, double D bottom getters at "V" angles from Brent Jesse. Here’s what he has to say: “New Old Stock White Box, ST "coke bottle" shape, military spec tubes. Not to be confused with the later JAN RCA version of this tube, that only has a single bottom getter. These are the first production 1940s World War II type, with the double D bottom getters set at angles to each other in the bottom of each tube ("V" shape), hanging filaments (top "fishing pole" filament supports) long dull black plates, extra support rods, very dark brown base and circular top mica. Clients are raving about this amazing tube (see below)! This tube will rival if not outperform the famed 274B Western Electric, and they are just as scarce. Save $800 over the 274B and we guarantee you will agree this is the best! All have the early type dark brown micanol base with the military markings. Tested for low noise and perfect internal matching. This is the rectifier people are talking about, no one else has this early version of this incredible tube!”

Has anyone tried this one? For a Big 7.
This rectifier is everything Brent said it was. Deeper bass with the 300b and particularly dynamic with the 01a and 112. Highly recommend trying one. Brent gives a 30-day trade in period so really nothing to lose.

Reactions: christoph

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Good to hear, because if USPS comes through I'll have one tomorrow to try, though probably in a preamp and not from BJ. In the meantime, been using a post 1946 Philco 5U4G (made by Sylvania) and it is everything Steve on the other thread said.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Loewe AD1 really is nice if you can manage to get a pair that works. I had to buy another one, as no matter what I did one kept making gargling noises.

The filament voltage is odd on this one in the sense it takes a long time for it to stabilise. Like no other I have come across so far. Literally 30 + minutes. Crazy, but true.

But it is gorgeously spacey and enticing. Don't pair it with an etchy, precise, high resolution rectifier. It risks sibilance at incorrect levels.

A smooth, warm, Westinghouse VU71 and it's just lovely.

There's a smooth, slippery quality to it that's so easy to like. It's less than accurate but in a really nice way with a lot of material.

BTW we were talking about Tesla AD1n voltages a while back, and maybe a need for over voltage. I still think a Lampi DAC should use the 300B setting. But note it does run fine at exactly 4V in this unlampified affair.

Loewe AD1 is definitely ranking and skankin' with the best/upper echelon if you can find a pair and a nice recti match. It just has slightly higher microphony than I would like.

If I am honest about it it does things Tesla AD1n can only dream of, but fails in other areas. The only relevant one is microphony. It's a big valve so it's not surprising, and like most highish power output triodes, never designed for small signal output.

With the current material I am listening to it is just glorious.

It is definitely worth exploring if you care enough to try and get a working pair. Not easy and pricey unless you get lucky.

IMG_20210226_210537.jpg

Last edited:

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
I have a pleasure to try KR-T100 this weekend.
In my setup (GG2 SE + Volume control) and Wavac MD805 - KR 242 is waaay better than T100.
To me T100 is 300B on steroids, and I need more dynamic and less mellow tube in my setup.
T100 is somewhat larger than its little brother 242 tube. :)

T100-1.jpg T100-2.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi JSA what's your system. You use the GG2 with 242 directly into the wavac amp, no pre? What speakers?

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
Hi JSA what's your system. You use the GG2 with 242 directly into the wavac amp, no pre? What speakers?
My GG2 has volume control (passive pre) inside and then directly to Wavac. Speakers are Usher BE-10 (DMD)

Reactions: bonzo75

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
A friend is using Pacific with T100 and we swapped for this weekend.
I have tried multiple tubes (thanks to Lukasz from Lampi) including top models of PX25, 45, Elrog 300B. My number one is KR242, then KR242RK then PX25.
For recti I prefer PSvane Acme 274B but KR274B and KR5u4g are also very good.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
What my take is so far that output tubes don’t perform in the same way in Pac and GGs and this might be due to active anode loading in Pac among other things i guess (just my wild speculation)

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
What my take is so far that output tubes don’t perform in the same way in Pac and GGs and this might be due to active anode loading in Pac among other things i guess (just my wild speculation)
I am not an expert but clearly there are differences between various Lampi models. Another friend next door is operating GG1 balanced. In his case EML 45 Mesh Globe is absolutely amazing however 242 is not so impressive. In my case exactly opposite.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing