Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What my take is so far that output tubes don’t perform in the same way in Pac and GGs and this might be due to active anode loading in Pac among other things i guess (just my wild speculation)

The 242 at heihei with Pac and audionet gear is one of my favorite set ups. Haven't heard a source like that.
I am not an expert but clearly there are differences between various Lampi models. Another friend next door is operating GG1 balanced. In his case EML 45 Mesh Globe is absolutely amazing however 242 is not so impressive. In my case exactly opposite.

It is also a match with downstream components. The 242 is very finicky and doesn't work with many preamps.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
The 242 at heihei with Pac and audionet gear is one of my favorite set ups. Haven't heard a source like that.

It is also a match with downstream components. The 242 is very finicky and doesn't work with many preamps.
I thought it was the PX25 that were in service, when the PAC wowed you.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I thought it was the PX25 that were in service, when the PAC wowed you.

No RK PX25 was the stock tube it was very good with it and we replaced With 242 to take it to wow

Reactions: iain and Golum

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
So a friend of mine decided to purchase KR 242 for his Pacific after last weekend :)
He will keep T100 but he clearly prefers KR 242.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
So a friend of mine decided to purchase KR 242 for his Pacific after last weekend :)
Same here ;)
I wanted to like the T100 because they look so majestic but the 242 are IME just simply the better sounding tubes in Lampi DACs :cool:

Last edited:

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I was blown away by Pacific with 242 tubes, when I had it in my system for audition. Of course that Pacific had VC. Still struggling with my GG2 due to the lack of volume control. IMHO, Lukasz should not sell his dacs without volume control and/or should not configure output levels for use with 300B tubes. In my system all 300B tubes (including Tak 300B plus Tak recti) have unpleasant digital feeling, some sort of distortion on vocals, which is quite tiring after just 10 minutes of listening.
My dac test report states the output figures with 300B tubes. Why???

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I was blown away by Pacific with 242 tubes, when I had it in my system for audition. Of course that Pacific had VC. Still struggling with my GG2 due to the lack of volume control. IMHO, Lukasz should not sell his dacs without volume control and/or should not configure output levels for use with 300B tubes. In my system all 300B tubes (including Tak 300B plus Tak recti) have unpleasant digital feeling, some sort of distortion on vocals, which is quite tiring after just 10 minutes of listening.
My dac test report states the output figures with 300B tubes. Why???
Maybe this a sign to upgrade from your non-VC GG2 to a VC Pacific :D

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Maybe this a sign to upgrade from your non-VC GG2 to a VC Pacific :D
Well, it looks like I don’t have much choice, but I am not a happy customer:mad:.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Well, it looks like I don’t have much choice, but I am not a happy customer:mad:.
You like the higher up model better than what you already have.
Who do you want to blame for that? :oops:

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
You like the higher up model better than what you already have.
Who do you want to blame for that? :oops:
If I had a GG2 with VC, I probably wouldn’t have to upgrade at all. Don’t get me wrong - I love Lampi dacs and have been Lukasz‘ customer fo many years. What I don’t understand, why Lampizator does not follow the common standard on output voltage. I’ve never had any gain issues with other dacs and I’ve tried quite a few.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
If I had a GG2 with VC, I probably wouldn’t have to upgrade at all. Don’t get me wrong - I love Lampi dacs and have been Lukasz‘ customer fo many years. What I don’t understand, why Lampizator does not follow the common standard on output voltage. I’ve never had any gain issues with other dacs and I’ve tried quite a few.
Just shove a passive pre between your GG2 and your preamp. Don't pay silly money for an upgrade. It's not worth it.

These are excellent, and very good value for money.

Or get an electrical engineer to fit a pot from them directly into your GG2. Easy enough if there's space.

Reactions: abeidrov

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Sorry but you "might" be wrong here. I said might, as I'm not sure as of when they started using low/high gain switch in non VC units and low gain position is exactly what you're talking about (industry standard I would say). High gain is the full throttle one for the preamps which can swallow that. I remember my GG2 did not have that and it was from beg of 2019.
Again I might be totally wrong here...

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
If you had paid for Bitcoin in March 2020 as much as you did for a Pacific you'd have gained $300,000.

Nevermind. Who needs money when you have wine and music;)

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
If you had paid for Bitcoin in March 2020 as much as you did for a Pacific you'd have gained $300,000.

Nevermind. Who needs money when you have wine and music;)
Don't mention - I was advised to do so but being a chicken I didn't - so I'm pulling my hair now (what's left of it anyhow)...sorry for tube off...

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Don't mention - I was advised to do so but being a chicken I didn't - so I'm pulling my hair now (what's left of it anyhow)...sorry for tube off...
I'll tell you why I didn't.

I was pissed with it. I put £3K into it to see it turn into £1K. It took two years to get my money back!

Rule number 1. NEVER sell at a loss.

Rule number 2. Always buy huge dips.

Massively easier said than done.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
He might want to have a look at the RK242 , if he's a classical listener. More refined tone.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Same here ;)
I wanted to like the T100 because they look so majestic but the 242 are IME just simply the better sounding tubes in Lampi DACs :cool:
Hi Christoph, any comparisons between the RK PX25 and the T100 on the PAC ?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Christoph, any comparisons between the RK PX25 and the T100 on the PAC ?
I also prefer the PX25 over the T100.
The PX25 is much closer to the 242 sonically than it is to the T100

Reactions: Jazzhead

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
I have pulled the plug and ordered Linlai 274B Elite series. Let's see whether this is as good as ACME 274B?
Anyone tried it already?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing