Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
Prompted by @marty ’s comments I decided to try my metal base Mullard GZ34 in my Pacific along with my 242s. After letting it play for 3-4 hours since the tube hasn’t been used in several years and doesn’t have many hours in it, I started to listen and I like what I hear. The GZ34 seems to produce a bigger sound stage than the CV717 which is my favorite rectifier with the 242s. There is nothing about the frequency balance that I don’t like either but I need to listen more to fully assess the tube.
Good to know! I ordered a metal base version this morning based on the same recommendation. But a 1950’s Phillips/Amperex from Brent Jessee.

Reactions: ctydwn

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I had an early Xmas yesterday morning when I tried Tesla RD27AS and a masher with my refurbished Accuphase M-60 monoblocks.

Playing some Yeahman, I was blown away with the sound. Superb match.

These monos are 46 years old. The reservoir caps are huge and are still in spec according to the refurbisher. They are easily outperforming my much more recent Luxman M-800a.

There's serious lessons to be learnt here. Extremely good solid state amps were made half a century ago. A little TLC can work wonders on them.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
I had an early Xmas yesterday morning when I tried Tesla RD27AS and a masher with my refurbished Accuphase M-60 monoblocks.

Playing some Yeahman, I was blown away with the sound. Superb match.

These monos are 46 years old. The reservoir caps are huge and are still in spec according to the refurbisher. They are easily outperforming my much more recent Luxman M-800a.

There's serious lessons to be learnt here. Extremely good solid state amps were made half a century ago. A little TLC can work wonders on them.
Change the caps you can’t measure caps age period
you can measure a failing cap but not age.
ive done many recap jobs many times the caps measure ok even the ESR is ok. but when you hear new it’s painfully obvious there not good anymore. when a maker tells me 30 year old caps are fine
it tells me they’re deaf or want you to buy there new product.
a caveat is this. Some caps measure a higher capacity then stated in specs for it.
This is an error in how testers Measure them. if you used alt methods a true value is now shown.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Change the caps you can’t measure caps age period
you can measure a failing cap but not age.
ive done many recap jobs many times the caps measure ok even the ESR is ok. but when you hear new it’s painfully obvious there not good anymore. when a maker tells me 30 year old caps are fine
it tells me they’re deaf or want you to buy there new product.
a caveat is this. Some caps measure a higher capacity then stated in specs for it.
This is an error in how testers Measure them. if you used alt methods a true value is now shown.
Believe me I know this is conventional wisdom.

However, the guy that did the refurb is extremely competent. He did a much better job on my Lampizator than Lampizator did.

They are sounding brilliant and he thought they weren't worth changing. Considering they are outperforming the Luxman with ease I am going to leave them. However, I am sure this is a job I can do as the amps are surprisingly modular and very easy to take apart. So I may do it at some stage.

BTW the guy that did them is also an audiophile. I've heard his system and it is good.

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Hi Gents

Finally i got the time to play my system and roll a few rectifiers, it's the first time i roll and compare them after i upgarded to Pacific from GG2, i sticked with RK242 + GZ480 which was the best combo in GG2 and give me a very dynamic, airy and coherent sound. I didnt fancy for those "mellow" tubes such as mullard GZ34, ACME 274B, Cossor 53KU.etc and always prefer the more "analytical side" tubes like GZ480 or RK5u4g.

This time those 'mellow' tube totally blow my mind especially the Cossor 53KU (black base), i was quite disappointed when i spent a quite significant amount for this tube in last year, i gave up in 2 weeks when i used it with GG2 and thought its overhyped, it's quite dynamic but sounds too 'muddy' and 'masked' and the nos Mullard GZ34 was the worst which emphasis too much in the mid range, however, this time all of these tubes sounds good and much more balanced with Pacific, although everyone has its owned character but i can use them to listen both jazz, blues, pop/rock, R&B.etc

i find lots of joy to play around them for my favourite tunes, obviously Pacific is much more versatile than GG2 especially it can show the best of the rectifiers tubes and give different presentation, i can reserve the gz480 and stay with this Cossor 53ku for a long time, this experiment totally changed my mind to stay with RK242+GZ480 forever, i will try a few more output tubes as well and compare with 242, the first one i ordered is the new SuperTNT 300BF, this tube is quite special by using sapphire crystal, i got their 274b already and going to pair with it and do the review on next week

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Gents

Finally i got the time to play my system and roll a few rectifiers, it's the first time i roll and compare them after i upgarded to Pacific from GG2, i sticked with RK242 + GZ480 which was the best combo in GG2 and give me a very dynamic, airy and coherent sound. I didnt fancy for those "mellow" tubes such as mullard GZ34, ACME 274B, Cossor 53KU.etc and always prefer the more "analytical side" tubes like GZ480 or RK5u4g.

This time those 'mellow' tube totally blow my mind especially the Cossor 53KU (black base), i was quite disappointed when i spent a quite significant amount for this tube in last year, i gave up in 2 weeks when i used it with GG2 and thought its overhyped, it's quite dynamic but sounds too 'muddy' and 'masked' and the nos Mullard GZ34 was the worst which emphasis too much in the mid range, however, this time all of these tubes sounds good and much more balanced with Pacific, although everyone has its owned character but i can use them to listen both jazz, blues, pop/rock, R&B.etc

i find lots of joy to play around them for my favourite tunes, obviously Pacific is much more versatile than GG2 especially it can show the best of the rectifiers tubes and give different presentation, i can reserve the gz480 and stay with this Cossor 53ku for a long time, this experiment totally changed my mind to stay with RK242+GZ480 forever, i will try a few more output tubes as well and compare with 242, the first one i ordered is the new SuperTNT 300BF, this tube is quite special by using sapphire crystal, i got their 274b already and going to pair with it and do the review on next week

If the 242 is working in your Lampi that well you will never change the output tube

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
If the 242 is working in your Lampi that well you will never change the output tube
Yeah Bonzo and I understand 242 sounds fantastic and work in my system, i just want to experiment the tubes on the 'mellow' side like 300b and give me another taste, i think this is one of the key features which Lampi offers for us to play like different systems :)

im not looking for a 'better' choice and want a different taste especially when i listen some old jazz tunes which it may suits better with those 'mellow' tubes

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yeah Bonzo and I understand 242 sounds fantastic and work in my system, i just want to experiment the tubes on the 'mellow' side like 300b and give me another taste, i think this is one of the key features which Lampi offers for us to play like different systems :)

im not looking for a 'better' choice and want a different taste especially when i listen some old jazz tunes which it may suits better with those 'mellow' tubes

Yes I know you will try other ones, my point was you will come back to it for all tunes.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yes I know you will try other ones, my point was you will come back to it for all tunes.
There is no best tube only a load of differing compromises. Plus variety is the spice of life.

Therefore I don't agree everyone will find this claim to be the case.

Labpro

Apr 13, 2020
Boston
Would someone be kind enough to point me to a video using the Elrog 300B-MO. Not much available. Thank you!

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Where did you purchase them and which model?
I purchased locally in Hong kong and the model is their latest verison 300BF, running with their 274b for 20 hours already and it sounds awesome, not a typical 300b and much more balanced and got a much better bass presentation and sound stage, i heard from the dealer it need more than 200 hours run in due to the sapphire crystal needs more time to settle, i will report to you guys 2 weeks later but right now it sounds very good already

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Interesting Tesla AD1n anomaly.

I fired up a cross swords AD1n for the first time ever. Look at it against a normal Tesla AD1n (on the right).

It glows green internally. Really. No trick of the light. Plus you can't see the filament top.

A normal AD1n doesn't glow internally at all.

It's not the same tube, obviously. I only have one, unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG_20220104_192647.jpg
    IMG_20220104_192647.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220104_192747.jpg
    IMG_20220104_192747.jpg
    626.8 KB · Views: 11

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
If anyone has a cross swords AD1n going spare PM me.

EDIT: my ears, voltmeter, adjustment pots and preamp say it isn't the same, either.

I'm going to pull it in the hope I find another. Slap another normal AD1n in to match and chuck this thing on the tester sometime soon, though TBH I thought I did that when I got it months ago and it measured great. If I did I didn't notice the green;)

It could probably do with a good waking up. I had to pull the Lampi voltage pot way back on it for a 4V voltage after having a normal Tesla AD1n in that slot and boost the preamp output by 3 DB to get a balanced sound. A couple of days running solo in the tester will be interesting.

Testers are essential tools, guys. They will back up your thoughts when you have a hunch many a time.

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
It has become obvious that the filament of this valve/tube is made of Kryptonite and is not for mortal men.

I will sell to unhumans for three times the price of a Horizon.

LOL.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I didn't get round to dumping it in the tester but I will soon.

It's probably knackered TBH. Here's what an expert had to say:

Hi Justin,
usually, the glow would be blue/violet indicating too much strain on the
tube running too hot and degassing some materials from the system, or
the tube becoming gassy for various reasons (small cracks in the glass
e.g. from manipulation/operation etc.). Have not seen such a greenish
glow yet, but I assume it is the same effect. Does it otherwise work OK?
Is the anode getting red in prolonged operation?

As for the heater, yes, some AD1n tubes had small construction changes,
like the top mica not having the cutout showing the cathode/heater.

At the moment, I do not have any AD1n tubes for sale, I will let you
know if/when some come up. The crossed swords logo denotes a selection
for the military (or more precisely: a military ownership), otherwise it
is a normal AD1n.

Best and Happy New Year,
Lukas

Reactions: Bobofei86 and cpcat

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing