Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Here’s the WE 274b I bought. Not sure if it has the engraved base you mentioned.

It doesn’t, but it is still a top rectifier. The engraved base looks cool but I don’t know it is sounds better.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
It doesn’t, but it is still a top rectifier. The engraved base looks cool but I don’t know it is sounds better.
the engraved base is an older version of the 274b, for some reason it does sound better - caveat though....to my ears. Quite a few ppl feel the same way on the various forums around but obviously we cannot generalise it to everyones ears out there

Jbs

Nov 25, 2016
Seattle
the engraved base is an older version of the 274b, for some reason it does sound better - caveat though....to my ears. Quite a few ppl feel the same way on the various forums around but obviously we cannot generalise it to everyones ears out there
Are any of the Chinese knock-offs WE274b's any good? Do they better the RK5u4g? I wonder?

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
Tak 274b and done

Jbs

Nov 25, 2016
Seattle
PSVANE acme 274B is pretty good.

Hi Gents

Finally i got the time to play my system and roll a few rectifiers, it's the first time i roll and compare them after i upgarded to Pacific from GG2, i sticked with RK242 + GZ480 which was the best combo in GG2 and give me a very dynamic, airy and coherent sound. I didnt fancy for those "mellow" tubes such as mullard GZ34, ACME 274B, Cossor 53KU.etc and always prefer the more "analytical side" tubes like GZ480 or RK5u4g.

This time those 'mellow' tube totally blow my mind especially the Cossor 53KU (black base), i was quite disappointed when i spent a quite significant amount for this tube in last year, i gave up in 2 weeks when i used it with GG2 and thought its overhyped, it's quite dynamic but sounds too 'muddy' and 'masked' and the nos Mullard GZ34 was the worst which emphasis too much in the mid range, however, this time all of these tubes sounds good and much more balanced with Pacific, although everyone has its owned character but i can use them to listen both jazz, blues, pop/rock, R&B.etc

i find lots of joy to play around them for my favourite tunes, obviously Pacific is much more versatile than GG2 especially it can show the best of the rectifiers tubes and give different presentation, i can reserve the gz480 and stay with this Cossor 53ku for a long time, this experiment totally changed my mind to stay with RK242+GZ480 forever, i will try a few more output tubes as well and compare with 242, the first one i ordered is the new SuperTNT 300BF, this tube is quite special by using sapphire crystal, i got their 274b already and going to pair with it and do the review on next week

I purchased locally in Hong kong and the model is their latest verison 300BF, running with their 274b for 20 hours already and it sounds awesome, not a typical 300b and much more balanced and got a much better bass presentation and sound stage, i heard from the dealer it need more than 200 hours run in due to the sapphire crystal needs more time to settle, i will report to you guys 2 weeks later but right now it sounds very good already
Hi Bobofei86, how are the TNT 300BF sounding? I saw them on a website in HK and they were very affordable compared to other tubes available. I have a Pacific coming this month (March '22). Just curious what you think a few months later....
jb

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
1EFE740F-2906-4221-8AA5-9A11BD403C68.jpeg Finally! They are used - approx 200 hrs so well broken in. I’ve had them for about a week. They were a matched quad ordered from LampiNA. Using Tak 274b Recti.

I have been using new issue WE 300bs and prefer erring towards warm presentation and avoiding etchy/hardness at all costs, so to be honest I was prepared for these not to work for me. However, I just had to hear them based on passionate reccs (mostly positive, some not so) here in this thread over these last years.

The RK242 gain is around 7-8db higher than the WE300b reissue by my measurement. I arrive at this by comparing relative levels on the Lampi VC when measuring bass decade test tones as well as during rebalancing for my HT passthru analog input. My 200-20 hz bass decade response was unaltered compared to all DHT tube types I have -45, 245, 112a, 01a, 300b, 101FA- so presumably I have adequate matching with regards to in/out impedance with the RK 242 in my system.

Noise measured- at an analog input at max volume without signal- was the lowest I have measured yet. This is in spite of around 7-8 db extra gain. Pretty impressive. I hear almost nothing at my listening position, almost pure white noise with my ear to the speaker, and the SPL measurement at the speaker is around 1-2 db above ambient. I didn’t expect this. It could be due to tight (or lucky) quad matching or maybe the 242 is inherently quieter by design. Maybe that’s why the higher gain can work for this tube? I’d say almost certainly this is what accounts for user reports of lowered noise floor which is easy to appreciate for me as well.

Sound-no issues with hardness, etchiness or fatigue. One caveat is that the warm up took awhile. After a few hours it sounded HiFi, like a club sound. It took a few days (even with used tubes) to really open up. At that point, pretty much what others have said: They jump more (more dynamic) and bass seems more articulate. I can listen at lower volumes (corrected for gain difference) and yet still hear deep within the recording. They seem to just take the presentation to another level - slightly wider and deeper staging, more detail, depth, ambience, decay, while still maintain the emotional involvement and tone.

One of my major concerns was losing the emotion, that harmonious, visceral, even visual effect that I love and crave, and associate with tubes in general. Well it is still there and in spades. I would NOT say these are “non-tubey“ sounding at all. For me the opposite is true- it’s all still there, just bigger and more robust while being able to hear even the smallest details at the same time.

So do I prefer the RK242 over the new issue WE300b? At this point, I do. However , I could easily be happy with either and I could see switching a few times over the next several mos just for fun. It’s great to have options of different flavors to match the mood!

I would use the small signal tube analogy and say the RK242 is more like a good Telefunken sound while the new issue WE 300b is like a good Siemens or Amperex.

Enjoy.
Charles

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
View attachment 90331 Finally! They are used - approx 200 hrs so well broken in. I’ve had them for about a week. They were a matched quad ordered from LampiNA. Using Tak 274b Recti.

I have been using new issue WE 300bs and prefer erring towards warm presentation and avoiding etchy/hardness at all costs, so to be honest I was prepared for these not to work for me. However, I just had to hear them based on passionate reccs (mostly positive, some not so) here in this thread over these last years.

The RK242 gain is around 7-8db higher than the WE300b reissue by my measurement. I arrive at this by comparing relative levels on the Lampi VC when measuring bass decade test tones as well as during rebalancing for my HT passthru analog input. My 200-20 hz bass decade response was unaltered compared to all DHT tube types I have -45, 245, 112a, 01a, 300b, 101FA- so presumably I have adequate matching with regards to in/out impedance with the RK 242 in my system.

Noise measured- at an analog input at max volume without signal- was the lowest I have measured yet. This is in spite of around 7-8 db extra gain. Pretty impressive. I hear almost nothing at my listening position, almost pure white noise with my ear to the speaker, and the SPL measurement at the speaker is around 1-2 db above ambient. I didn’t expect this. It could be due to tight (or lucky) quad matching or maybe the 242 is inherently quieter by design. Maybe that’s why the higher gain can work for this tube? I’d say almost certainly this is what accounts for user reports of lowered noise floor which is easy to appreciate for me as well.

Sound-no issues with hardness, etchiness or fatigue. One caveat is that the warm up took awhile. After a few hours it sounded HiFi, like a club sound. It took a few days (even with used tubes) to really open up. At that point, pretty much what others have said: They jump more (more dynamic) and bass seems more articulate. I can listen at lower volumes (corrected for gain difference) and yet still hear deep within the recording. They seem to just take the presentation to another level - slightly wider and deeper staging, more detail, depth, ambience, decay, while still maintain the emotional involvement and tone.

One of my major concerns was losing the emotion, that harmonious, visceral, even visual effect that I love and crave, and associate with tubes in general. Well it is still there and in spades. I would NOT say these are “non-tubey“ sounding at all. For me the opposite is true- it’s all still there, just bigger and more robust while being able to hear even the smallest details at the same time.

So do I prefer the RK242 over the new issue WE300b? At this point, I do. However , I could easily be happy with either and I could see switching a few times over the next several mos just for fun. It’s great to have options of different flavors to match the mood!

I would use the small signal tube analogy and say the RK242 is more like a good Telefunken sound while the new issue WE 300b is like a good Siemens or Amperex.

Enjoy.
Charles
Very very nice "report" and I'm glad you're enjoying them!

Reactions: ctydwn

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Hi Bobofei86, how are the TNT 300BF sounding? I saw them on a website in HK and they were very affordable compared to other tubes available. I have a Pacific coming this month (March '22). Just curious what you think a few months later....
jb
Hi Jbs

The TNT 300BF sounds really good and much bettet than the Acme 300b which i sold, they sounds so smooth with lots of details as well, especially the bass which is much better than other 300b ihave tried, i would like to say 242 sound on the modern and analytical side and 300BF sounds on their other side, sometimes it depends on the music and mood and roll the tubes, i put them on and didnt switch back to 242 for 3 months already, if the price is good i highly recommend you to get one set

Joe

Reactions: Jbs

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am selling my RK KR 242s is anyone is interested.

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
dminches said:
No tube for the Lampis produce better mid range.
christoph said:
Than which one?
EML 45 mesh Anni Globes or the WE reissues?
Can't you guys please quote when responding?

The WE 300B reissues.
I have been looking for well over eighteen months for a very lightly used matched pair of the WE 300B reissues, at a decent price, to use with my single ended Lampizator Golden Gate. Last night, that very thing, with 20 hours use, max, from a trusted seller, popped up at a more than fair price online. I went to send the seller a note saying I would buy them, but I couldn't connect, as my internet was down for several hours, due to a widespread area power outage that affected my internet provider. As soon as it was restored, I then sent the seller an immediate note that I would be happy to purchase them. He responded back less an hour later, informing me that someone had contacted him fifteen minutes prior to me and bought them. Sometimes you simply have no luck at all :(

And I simply can't afford the full $1,500.00 cost for a new pair these days. My department at work was outsourced and I was pushed into retirement three years early. Thats a lot of income down the drain. The truly sad part is knowing that, in my system, at least as much as massive research can guide me, my Golden gate will never perform in the midrange as well as it can until I have a pair of the WE 300B reissues. And who knows how long it might take before some appear again, and at a reasonable price. :(

Last edited:

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
I just read through the entire 28 page discussion on the Psvane Acme 300B's here in the forum. While it's clear that they are not reliable enough to buy, one owner mentioned this:

"I have two sets of Acme 300Bs. One has always been used in my amp (LM 508ia) and the other was used for some time in my Golden Gate DAC. After AD1n tubes were discovered for the GG, the Acme 300B hasn't been my preferred tube so it's been sitting collecting dust."

Since I am going to be using the tubes in my Golden gate, can anyone tell me what AD1n tubes are? I've never heard of them? And how do they compare with 300B's?

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
View attachment 90331 Finally! They are used - approx 200 hrs so well broken in. I’ve had them for about a week. They were a matched quad ordered from LampiNA. Using Tak 274b Recti.

Enjoy.
Charles
Interesting. I've recently gone the other way in my Pacific, preferring the WE 300B new issue to KR242. The WE have less impact for sure, but sound more refined, airy, nuanced.
Mine are the regular KR though, rather than RK and interesting point re: needing a number of days to warm up. May be I'll revisit at some point, but in the interim am loving the 300B's.

Reactions: cpcat

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Interesting. I've recently gone the other way in my Pacific, preferring the WE 300B new issue to KR242. The WE have less impact for sure, but sound more refined, airy, nuanced.
Mine are the regular KR though, rather than RK and interesting point re: needing a number of days to warm up. May be I'll revisit at some point, but in the interim am loving the 300B's.
And the WE reissues are what I truly want, as I noted above. I am looking for the same thing as cpcat mentioned "warm presentation and avoiding etchiness and hardness at all costs"

There is simply no way of telling when a good, lightly used pair might become available. Clearly, people prefer to keep them. It might be a long wait, while I continue to listen knowing I am not getting what I could from this great dac.

Lastly, was just wondering what those AD1n tubes mentioned actually are.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Lastly, was just wondering what those AD1n tubes mentioned actually are.
You have quite a few words written on these pages here about ad1n

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
You have quite a few words written on these pages here about ad1n
When I did my first search, looking in titles, nothing at all appeared in the search. I have found some information, much of it from you about the two types of tubes, and the need for an adaptor. Not sure I want to go in that direction, and likely would be better off with my original choice of the WE 300B reissues. There are big problems there, of course, as they almost never appear for sale used. Or at ridiculous used prices.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Considering that reissue of WE300b rolled out to the market I believe like a year ago (+/-) it will be super difficult to find them on the used market...

Reactions: timztunz

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing