Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
This was compared to an even older set of 6L6G that I had used to replace the KT88 LinLai that came with the dac. I had been using the 6G’s with the Globe 80 but the 80 gave up- I’m looking for a replacement now. I’m running the WXT+ with the Sophia Aqua.

Reactions: christoph

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
IMG_0548.jpeg

Golden Atlantic TRP 3 with quad of 60’s Sylvania 6BQ6GT and Sophia Aqua 274B. These smaller beam power tubes were originally used in TV’s. They produce a very natural sound yet with less brightness of others. Air and upper end detail is still present but slightly rolled off. Very quiet dark backgrounds.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
@Zero000
Great setup! Send me a note about your display
Thanks.

The UST projector is a pure pleasure. No need for privacy on it. Whilst the picture in my shot does it no favours, I have it ultra dialed in now. Absolute to the millimetre precision is where it is at here. It's performing way better as the quality of the source i.e. the internet is catching up with what it is able to do.

It's just a 2500 Lumens Chinese job from a bit more than a couple of years ago with an ALR screen.

Like nearly all of my kit it needs a play with so I will be taking it apart soon. Best on market cooling fan is required I think.

We find it a source of massive pleasure. So many visual / musical gems out there on the web if you spend the time to look.

For those with audio only systems it's a mistake. Wake up visuals really do count for a lot and as an owner of 3 OLEDs I feel laser projectors look a lot more natural and can do all important scale with ease.

Just better, really, overall. But you have to have the space which is a bit of a shitter if you haven't.

Reactions: Designsfx

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
FWIW approximate cost of the laser setup in fiat currency was around £3,200 about 2.5 years ago.

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Whilst were on the subject, I have a pv200/600 rectifier which is a 4V tube. Its pin configuration means it plugs straight in. Any issue with running a 4V tube with no adapter/resistor? I think the socket is 5V?
Another question surrounding this post- is there any issue with using a 4v tube in any position on the Lampizator TRP? I’ve seen a few power and rectifier tubes from Philips that are 4v as opposed to 5 for rectifier or 6.3 for power. Would this be undesirable?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Another question surrounding this post- is there any issue with using a 4v tube in any position on the Lampizator TRP? I’ve seen a few power and rectifier tubes from Philips that are 4v as opposed to 5 for rectifier or 6.3 for power. Would this be undesirable?

You will need an adapter with a resistor to suit the heater current as well as to fit the B4 format base used by the majority of 4v tubes from the 30s/40s

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Got it- are these adapters commonly available? I’ve used the typical Xuling made stuff so far but hadn’t noticed anything that called out specifics for 4v to others.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Reactions: ronfint

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
I recently saw a set of Philips ABL1 pentodes for sale that I thought may be interesting but of course realized they are 4V/2.4A so I let it be. Also an AZ rectifier that falls into the same 4V category. If this adapter suits the application that would be great! Thank you for the info!

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
The valvo az1 (globe / big silver mesh) is where I started my 4v journey about 30 tubes ago and it remains a delightful option. Nb this has an ‘elephant foot’ base whereas the electrically identical 1064 used the more familiar European format B4

Reactions: Blake

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Which rectifier is “your” current favorite?

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Right now it is the Tungsram pv4200 however it is an unusual one, having been made in the Vienna factory, rather than the regular Budapest barium getter version. Some feel the latter is as good as valvo G2504 however I have both types here and prefer the Vienna one. Not that that helps because it is nigh on unobtanium.

For cheap 5v thrills, the Brimar cv1863 is also fun though i feel less good than the Valvo az1. All these valves are quite cheap so you can buy a few to experience and see which works best with your output tubes / system / taste.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Got it- are these adapters commonly available? I’ve used the typical Xuling made stuff so far but hadn’t noticed anything that called out specifics for 4v to others.
For basic decently made adapter see https://www.ebay.com/str/xulingaudiolabs. There’s also Marco in Italy on these forums (and eBay) who sells quality tubes and has a tech that custom makes adapters. However, the tech recently had a hand operation and is out of commission for a few more weeks (I’m awaiting one myself). I’m not sure if Marco would ok an adapter built separate from a tube sale though. Have to ask.

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
Central Florida - Orlando
For basic decently made adapter see https://www.ebay.com/str/xulingaudiolabs. There’s also Marco in Italy on these forums (and eBay) who sells quality tubes and has a tech that custom makes adapters. However, the tech recently had a hand operation and is out of commission for a few more weeks (I’m awaiting one myself). I’m not sure if Marco would ok an adapter built separate from a tube sale though. Have to ask.
Marco and Laszlo are outstanding members of our tube community.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I recently saw a set of Philips ABL1 pentodes for sale that I thought may be interesting but of course realized they are 4V/2.4A so I let it be. Also an AZ rectifier that falls into the same 4V category. If this adapter suits the application that would be great! Thank you for the info!
Look up the heater and pin specs and buy a voltmeter to run across the two heater pins.

Adaptors make it really easy to raise the tube to do this if your Lampi recesses the base.

Generally running on the heater specs does seem to produce the best results, funnily enough.

When you get into it, you realise what you want is variable heater control via potentiometers.

Decent tube guys can make this real at far lower cost than Lampi will charge you (really), have a look at what is in your Lampi, tell you whether he thinks it is shit or not, and get it generally sorted.

Don't get deluded here. It's just tube/valve electronics. Not Lampizator genius.

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
I know many guys who do this everyday with their amps and one of them swears by these Philips tubes. I know it’s not really the same thing (amp vs dac) but I‘d like to see how well they work with the dac. Maybe good, maybe not.

Reactions: Zero000

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I know many guys who do this everyday with their amps and one of them swears by these Philips tubes. I know it’s not really the same thing (amp vs dac) but I‘d like to see how well they work with the dac. Maybe good, maybe not.
Excellent attitude

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing