Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Hi guys,
I've done both. I bought several AZ12 to 5U4G adapters (they're cheap!) and did surgery to see what was necessary. Once I saw the resisitor layout it was easy to use a regular straight blade screw driver to separate the resistors ever so slightly on a "standard" unsurgerized adapter and flatten them a tiny amount through the guide post hole, which then let the tube sit all the way down perfectly. Even better, on one of the adapters I bought, I didn't have to do that at all (but it was the exception) so it seems like a QC issue in China. I wrote to xuling and told him most of his his adapters were faulty and he was surprised, but my guess is that he will now pay attention to the resistors and install them lower to the base making any modification to the adapters such as I have done unnecessary. He also refunded me $30 for the one I did surgery on, which wasn't necessary as its perfectly usable although it ain't pretty. I'm also more comfortable with a ceramic shell than a wood shell for the adapters as I'm not crazy about putting a 235° F tube (that's the actual temp- rectis get hot!) in a wood base even though it's probably pretty safe, but that's just me.

Marty -- Are you using the mesh or plate version of the AZ12?

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
Thanks @marty , I use the Mullard and Matushita GZ34s but I'll try the Phillips/Amperex again soon. I'd forgotten about them. Sometimes I find something I like and wander off on a different journey.

Jerry

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Marty -- Are you using the mesh or plate version of the AZ12?
Apparently when the tube was first made in 1938 they were mesh anodes, but when Telefunken posted their data sheet in 1942, as well as RFT in '53 and Philips in '55, there are no pics of these I can find that suggest they were mesh versions, but only solid plates. My tube plates appears dark grey and sure looks to be solid plates in both tubes.

IMG_1519.jpg IMG_1520.jpg

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Apparently when the tube was first made in 1938 they were mesh anodes, but when Telefunken posted their data sheet in 1942, as well as RFT in '53 and Philips in '55, there are no pics of these I can find that suggest they were mesh versions, but only solid plates. My tube plates appears dark grey and sure looks to be solid plates in both tubes.

View attachment 120031 View attachment 120032
You have them nice and flush. I just broke one adapter attempting something different. PITA! I'm going to use fast acting super glue, and glue them together! If I hold them they stay flush, but when I let go they spring back apart...

Last edited:

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland

View attachment 120031 View attachment 120032
Telefunken made AZ12 mesh, with wide black anodes.
I can sell one NIB - pm.
image.jpg image.jpg

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Yes, I used a Spanish Marconi U50/80 for quite a while, and I enjoyed it. I tried to purchase an old globe 80 before that, but it was DOA. I’ve since moved on to the PV200/600 which I find to have great synergy with my Siemens F2a’s. Others have denigrated that rectifier; so who knows?

Just for your info:

If I'm not liking the Tungsram as much as you do, is that "denigrating" the Tungsram?

Is it only my way (more your way) or the highway here for you?

I'm not "denigrating" other tubes, I just give MY impression of these tubes.
I also don't favor the FuglyFranky as others do but that is MY taste and synergy in MY systems, nothing more and nothing less.

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
Just for your info:

If I'm not liking the Tungsram as much as you do, is that "denigrating" the Tungsram?

Is it only my way (more your way) or the highway here for you?

I'm not "denigrating" other tubes, I just give MY impression of these tubes.
I also don't favor the FuglyFranky as others do but that is MY taste and synergy in MY systems, nothing more and nothing less.
Fair enough. I'm just saying what it felt like at the time. I have nothing to gain or lose from any of this.

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
I have been rolling back and forth a bit with DHTs.

Have on hand KR242, RK242, RK PX25, and WE 300b reissues.
The KR242s have been in for the last several mos as my reference, with occasional switch-off to RK242 just for comparison. I recently took the KR242 out and rolled in RKPX25- these seem to give up little in dynamics overall to KR242 but have noticeably fuller/more powerful bottom end. I had several days with the RKPX25 then went to WE300b reissues. These provide a nice return to midrange bloom and still have the necessary punch/dynamics while bass response seems in between the KR242 and RKPX25.

The RK242s are similar to KR but just with slightly less gain and perhaps ever so slightly more refined in the top end. Definitely only a subtle change between the two.

I could live with any of these and could definitely see some preferring either among them based on downstream/upstream system matching and taste.

I also have NOS/OS varieties including WE101FA, Philco ST 01a, RCA ST 112a and Cunningham 01a ST and Globe. I also briefly recently put the WE101FA back in - nice overall but not quite to the level of enjoyment provided by any I’d the above new production tubes.

Way back in this thread there was interest in EML AD1. Justin seemed to like them over several other tykes, but then gravitated toward Tesla AD1n (rare) and then everyone liked the RD27a but the reports on EML AD1 thereafter seemed few. I need quads so the rarer NOS/OS types are difficult for me.

Any additional thoughts on the EML AD1 out there?

Reactions: christoph

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I'm not sure anyone was using EML AD1 per se. I have one or two pairs NOS ad1 (Tesla and Phillips) if I remember correctly and they were excellent indeed. Bummer is to seek for quads of NOS tubes...

Reactions: Blake and cpcat

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
I have an amp in construction around the EML AD1. I have heard it in "breadboard" construction and it is spectacular. My amp uses the oriiginal style socket so tubes won't be interchangeable into my GG3.

Jerry

Reactions: cpcat

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
I'm not sure anyone was using EML AD1 per se. I have one or two pairs NOS ad1 (Tesla and Phillips) if I remember correctly and they were excellent indeed. Bummer is to seek for quads of NOS tubes...
Yes - my thinking also. For a bargain it would be nice to try, but paying premium for supposed NOS quad is a big risk.

In the first post of this thread Justin was using the EML AD1 and for the first several pages singing its praises. Then, as the thread goes on it doesn’t seem like there is much said about it.

I have an amp in construction around the EML AD1. I have heard it in "breadboard" construction and it is spectacular. My amp uses the oriiginal style socket so tubes won't be interchangeable into my GG3.

Jerry
Sounds like a cool amp. There are adapters for the purpose I am sure you know.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I have been rolling back and forth a bit with DHTs.

Have on hand KR242, RK242, RK PX25, and WE 300b reissues.
The KR242s have been in for the last several mos as my reference, with occasional switch-off to RK242 just for comparison. I recently took the KR242 out and rolled in RKPX25- these seem to give up little in dynamics overall to KR242 but have noticeably fuller/more powerful bottom end. I had several days with the RKPX25 then went to WE300b reissues. These provide a nice return to midrange bloom and still have the necessary punch/dynamics while bass response seems in between the KR242 and RKPX25.

The RK242s are similar to KR but just with slightly less gain and perhaps ever so slightly more refined in the top end. Definitely only a subtle change between the two.

I could live with any of these and could definitely see some preferring either among them based on downstream/upstream system matching and taste.

I also have NOS/OS varieties including WE101FA, Philco ST 01a, RCA ST 112a and Cunningham 01a ST and Globe. I also briefly recently put the WE101FA back in - nice overall but not quite to the level of enjoyment provided by any I’d the above new production tubes.

Way back in this thread there was interest in EML AD1. Justin seemed to like them over several other tykes, but then gravitated toward Tesla AD1n (rare) and then everyone liked the RD27a but the reports on EML AD1 thereafter seemed few. I need quads so the rarer NOS/OS types are difficult for me.

Any additional thoughts on the EML AD1 out there?
I listened to the EML AD1 twice with years in between (to re-evaluate my initial first impression) and both times I was underwhelmed and preferred RK 242 and RK PX25 by a big margin.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
I am waiting for someone to be the first tester of the Stradi tubes. They sell an AD1, among others. ;)

Reactions: keithc and 2ndLiner

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I listened to the EML AD1 twice with years in between (to re-evaluate my initial first impression) and both times I was underwhelmed and preferred RK 242 and RK PX25 by a big margin.
Hm. Always thought your hearing was a bit dodgy, Christoph;)

EML AD1 is the best out of the EML or KR tubes I have tried. Including the KR 242. I prefer their PX25. I rarely use the EML AD1 because there are quite a few I prefer, really, with the benefit of hindsight.

But when I go back to it I think not bad. Not bad at all. In fact, I am tempted to do that right now.

I had my EML order custom built with a UX4 base. I own Tesla AD1n and Loewe AD1. The former has a bass bias with a laid back treble. The latter is a bit bass shy but otherwise truly outstanding in many respects.

Post #1 of this thread is a great supporter of the EML AD1. With good reason.

Reactions: Carlsbad and cpcat

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
Hm. Always thought your hearing was a bit dodgy, Christoph;)

EML AD1 is the best out of the EML or KR tubes I have tried. Including the KR 242. I prefer their PX25. I rarely use the EML AD1 because there are quite a few I prefer, really, with the benefit of hindsight.

But when I go back to it I think not bad. Not bad at all. In fact, I am tempted to do that right now.

I had my EML order custom built with a UX4 base. I own Tesla AD1n and Loewe AD1. The former has a bass bias with a laid back treble. The latter is a bit bass shy but otherwise truly outstanding in many respects.

Post #1 of this thread is a great supporter of the EML AD1. With good reason.

When you say “prefer the PX25” do you mean EML or KR?

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Wondering if any followers of this thread have had experience with a tube known as “Ediswan S11E12” (also CV4060)? I just came across this tonight in a listing where it was noted as being similar (but not equal to) a KT88. Can anyone share info or experience on this tube?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Anyone have experience with the EML PX4 and have an opinion of it? The reviewer of the Pacific 2 on Enjoy the Music site ended up preferring it. I have a GG2/3 and am told it's got a touch of warmth, a touch being something I like. I'm currently using recent production WE 300B's. Thanks,

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
Anyone have experience with the EML PX4 and have an opinion of it? The reviewer of the Pacific 2 on Enjoy the Music site ended up preferring it. I have a GG2/3 and am told it's got a touch of warmth, a touch being something I like. I'm currently using recent production WE 300B's. Thanks,
Dang. So I just emailed Rob at LampiNA today and asked about available tubes and he told me he had EML pX4 available….and they were great.

Just FYI, maybe they are.
Goran thought they were boring. -search…

I have no experience with them (EML PX4)

Right now I like RK PX25. WE 300b, and RK or KR 242.

I would be interested in EML PX25 and EML AD1 however.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golum

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Dang. So I just emailed Rob at LampiNA today and asked about available tubes and he told me he had EML pX4 available….and they were great.

Just FYI, maybe they are.
Goran thought they were boring. -search…

I have no experience with them (EML PX4)

Right now I like RK PX25. WE 300b, and RK or KR 242.

I would be interested in EML PX25 and EML AD1 however.

I second Goran's opinion about the PX4 being rather boring, at least compared to the excellent PX25 and 242.

I'm generally not really fond of EML mesh tubes and much prefer KR tubes.
I find the EML mesh tubes unnaturally kind of tizzy.

I don't know if there is a EML PX25 but I was underwhelmed by the EML AD1.

What are you missing sonically with the really excellent tubes you already have?

Reactions: Golum

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
I second Goran's opinion about the PX4 being rather boring, at least compared to the excellent PX25 and 242.

I'm generally not really fond of EML mesh tubes and much prefer KR tubes.
I find the EML mesh tubes unnaturally kind of tizzy.

I don't know if there is a EML PX25 but I was underwhelmed by the EML AD1.

What are you missing sonically with the really excellent tubes you already have?
Hi Christoph,

It‘s not that I am missing anything really. It’s a quest I guess and it’s fun.
I would like to have a best-of stable of quads, one per each position on the heater dial. The AD1 seems a candidate for the PX4 setting, but opinions seemed mixed on it. Any other suggestions?

I would also like backups in case of an odd failure.

I sure hope the general thinking and advice that the DHTs (as implemented) will last years turns out to be correct. It seems right now that it will be difficult to replace them.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing