Let's help a music lover DOWNSIZE!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Tim started a wonderful thread on how to help a music lover spend $2K to improve his current system. There were some great suggestions and opinions, and they were also quite varied. I chose an AMP upgrade.

I thought with this thread I'd give you an opportunity to provide suggestions/opinion for my imaginary friend who needs to downsize. He's recently retired, the kids are long gone, the house is too damned big and he's tired of cutting the lawn. He just bought a 2-bedroom Condo and there is no room for his setup . He's decided to sell everything except his analog and digital front-end. Yes folks...he enjoys both! ;). He kept his Oracle Delphi Mk VI turntable and his Oppo 105.

He's decided that $20,000 should do the trick. Space is at a premium.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've had to Downsize 3 times..... .it's called D-I-V-O-R-C-E

I'm an Expert!! ;)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I've had to Downsize 3 times..... .it's called D-I-V-O-R-C-E

I'm an Expert!! ;)

Common problem with a lot of Docs I know....funny how that works.

back to the OP....a novel idea purchase a good vintage pair...say an Accuphase C200 and P300,have them recapped and then spend a grand on a sub,and the rest on speakers. I think you would spend 2500 on the electronics leaving 17,500 for the speakers,with some discretion for cables. If unbalanced works,maybe not,but I always thought some vintage had plenty of features that seem to have gone away.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I ti an interesting exercise:

Very simple, no-fuss , high quality system here :

DeVialet 200 about $8500 MSRP
Von Schweikert VR35 about $10,000 MSRP
The rest for Cables.
Done!

If he negotiate hard enough there will be room for some Room treatment and a pair of decent subs. I hope the room is at least adequate, else I wonder how DeVialet would work with the current platter of DSP software, things like Acourate, Dirac etc... If it were only digital that would have been easy, since he has a TT, DRC with the DeVialet could be a problem..

One happy fellow. :).

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
working back from the speaker end, the joseph audio pulsar ($7700) stand mounts are perfect for a small listening space. I've owned them along with Raidho X-steam baby (now replaced by the x-1). imho, both SOTA within their somewhat limited freq range - with the pulsars, your guests will think you have a sub hidden somewhere.

Aesthetix Janus (line + phonostage w/ 75 db gain) $7000
Music Reference RM-200 $4200
Pulsar + Stands $8500

total $19200

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The best bang for the buck speakers I've heard and owned, are Maggies. Get a used Classe' amp or YBA Integre' DT or even an inexpensive Class D amp. You'll have most of the $10k left over for a great front end!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
The best bang for the buck speakers I've heard and owned, are Maggies. Get a used Classe' amp or YBA Integre' DT or even an inexpensive Class D amp. You'll have most of the $10k left over for a great front end!

I concur but they tend to eat Real Estates to sound their best. Not your typical no-fuss speakers. if the person want to go used. Snagging a pair of gensis 501 and retain the Devialet is another world beater, no fuss .. The possibilities are endless. For 20 K one ought to have a great system, IMO ...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

He kept his front-end ........

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Downsize? Same recommendation I made on the other thread, but honestly, while I think active delivers sonic advantages and the most efficient solution, passive would be ok too. But downsized = sats and subs to me. He'll have money left over. Tell him to buy a great pair of headphones for private listening that's more "enveloping" than $90k worth of glass. :)

Tim

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Yamaha a-s3000
And matching CD Player too
Yamaha Soavo ns f901 speakers
Crimson RM Music Link cables...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If I were to personally downsize to a 20sqm room and have a limited budget I would do this. This combo carries a very similar signature to my big system. The big thing is the adjustment will not be a dramatic one tonally. I've gone to show with this combination and tested it out off site prior to the show in yes, our old 2 bedroom condo. :D

Von Schweikert Unifield 1 ~4k
2 Rythmik 12" (love the secondary EQ) ~2k
Valvet Soulshine ~6k
Valvet A3Rs ~6k

Lots left over for NOS tubes

I'd use my old cables which would perversely cost more than the rest at this point but hey, it's already there, why not?

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Hi

I ti an interesting exercise:

Very simple, no-fuss , high quality system here :

DeVialet 200 about $8500 MSRP
Von Schweikert VR35 about $10,000 MSRP
The rest for Cables.
Done!

If he negotiate hard enough there will be room for some Room treatment and a pair of decent subs. I hope the room is at least adequate, else I wonder how DeVialet would work with the current platter of DSP software, things like Acourate, Dirac etc... If it were only digital that would have been easy, since he has a TT, DRC with the DeVialet could be a problem..

One happy fellow. :).

For a condo plus 1 on the DeVialet speakers totems are in the price range and good size wise. Some Cardas cables and your done.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
DeVore Gibbon 88 Speakers - $5800
Line Magnetic 219i Integrated Amp -$7500
Killer set of tubes -$1000
Found-Music Speaker Cables and Interconnects - $2500

Software -$3200; you are retiring and will have a lot more time to listen to music!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
DeVore Gibbon 88 Speakers - $5800
Line Magnetic 219i Integrated Amp -$7500
Killer set of tubes -$1000
Found-Music Speaker Cables and Interconnects - $2500

Software -$3200; you are retiring and will have a lot more time to listen to music!

So far I haven't found this to be true, but it is a lovely thought.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing