Listening amp candidates for R1s

I also would have the TAD M600's at the top of the list. Check out sweetmusic69's posts over at AA. He went through a similar exercize on the CR1's and seems to be very experienced and meticulous in his search approach (he ended up buying the M600's).

There have been mentions that the M600's plus a somewhat more 'musical' preamp & source is the ultimate way to drive TAD ref speakers.

I was HUGELY impressed with all TAD system M600/C600/D600 however would agree that it may lean a touch too much to the analytical side and may not be as involving musically. Hard to tell though at shows, I always ask to play some 'normal' music, i.e. stuff I listen to and enjoy at home, but TAD demo's seem to always have only a limited musical selection of the cream of the crop high res master tape files and audiophile approved redbook.

Hi...everyone's taste is different. But I heard TAD all-reference system at Pioneer Plaza in Tokyo...and I brought my own music. What can I say...stunningly clear and no technical faults per se. I think the Glenn Gould Goldberg variations was exceptionally well delineated...and with all my recent tweaks, I have only recently managed to get where I think they are quite close. However, I found the density of the middle range of the keyboard a bit spare...not quite the power of the keyboard when you sit that close. Some might find that a bit cold...its was the 'meat' of the Goldberg variations where you feel/hear the body of the piano that I did not get in the TAD room at Pioneer Plaza. I cannot say if the recording is supposed to have it or not...I just know I get it at home and I prefer it that way...though I admit I got the body but had to fight to get the clarity, detail and it took lots of Ultra 5s and isolation to do it without losing that body. I suspect the body is somewhere in the electronics...cannot say for sure.

I also would have the TAD M600's at the top of the list. Check out sweetmusic69's posts over at AA. He went through a similar exercize on the CR1's and seems to be very experienced and meticulous in his search approach (he ended up buying the M600's).

There have been mentions that the M600's plus a somewhat more 'musical' preamp & source is the ultimate way to drive TAD ref speakers.

I was HUGELY impressed with all TAD system M600/C600/D600 however would agree that it may lean a touch too much to the analytical side and may not be as involving musically. Hard to tell though at shows, I always ask to play some 'normal' music, i.e. stuff I listen to and enjoy at home, but TAD demo's seem to always have only a limited musical selection of the cream of the crop high res master tape files and audiophile approved redbook.

Just went to check it out. wow did that post grow. I left it a while back and thought is was not active. I am half way through. Very interesting. His source is the same as mine so that also helps, although preamp is very different. Very interesting post indeed. Thanks.

Just went to check it out. wow did that post grow. I left it a while back and thought is was not active. I am half way through. Very interesting. His source is the same as mine so that also helps, although preamp is very different. Very interesting post indeed. Thanks.

Only for the privileged people, not for the general public. ...Reading and free speech access, without any discrimination.. or prejudice.

Look forward to hearing what you think! All great options without doubt. When do you think you will be able to audition these?

The mephisto stereo is planned for second week of october in a show and after that if I like what a hear with all the reservations of an unknown system et all, it will go to my house for a few days listening third or forth week of october. If I like the Stereo will have to see if I can get a hold of the monos. Stereo and mono versions many times sound different but the whole situation will be more focused.

The TAD M600 don't have a exact date still but I think is going to be before that. The dealer is working on sourcing one right now. The 108 I can listen to it anytime also since there is a demo unit in stock like the ARC 250. Although these 2 are more for illustration purposes, who knows, I may be surprised. It would be very nice; would imply a big saving...

So the pipeline for now is next week the ARC 250 (I still have the Momentums here...), next I hope the TADs, after that the 108s, and the Mephistos. IN the meantime we will see what happens with the Boulder.

The Boulder do not have a plan still and as said not sure if I will be able to, but surely would try. Regarding Boulder, the 2150 and the 3060 are more or less at the same price range here (10% - 15% difference). Which one would be a better choice? Impossible to tell and I don't think many, if any, have listened to both. For sure I will not be able to listen to the 3060.

The new Pass Xs I checked and seems I will not be able to listen to them.

Not sure I get your point.

AudioAficionado is a private forum (a business in disguise), only accessible by logging in as a member.
From an insider you wouldn't know all there is happening; for an outsider you get a larger picture.
When someone refers to an AA link, it has to be understood that only the privileged people can read the post, or posts.

And to have AA claiming that it is approaching 200,000 members is to lie straight in your face!

And that, was my point; I cannot access what you're referring to, unless you transcribe it here in full. ...Or copy & paste the ditto post(s).

Oh ok I see. thanks for clarifying. I just became a member like I did to this forum in the past to be able to read the posts I cared about. You are right, you can not read posts if you are not logged in. Strange. I think the person that owns the place is a dealer or something similar, not really sure, but particularly I don't mind. To be really fair, I have to say that he stays very neutral and does not do passionate claims in favor of a particular gear over another. And never read any comment against any brand or model.

In terms of content I find both places have a lot of info. I would not say one has more info than the other. Actually very similar. There is one person here, our friend Joost, that does a great job in cross sharing and posting here some of the most interesting topics covered there and completing info both ways, which I personally find of great use.

As for the particular post, a lot of what is said is actually in a post here under CR1 amplification options. The thing has some 49 pages so hard to copy paste the whole content...

I am only half way through but in short there is a person with a lot of experience that after searching settle with the TAD 600 for his CR1s and seems to be quite happy with the decision.

Hi Eli,

If you are not against tubes, you might want to consider some Conrad Johnson ART monos. They are sublime.

Attachments

• cj gat-art system.jpg
    cj gat-art system.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 229
Absolutely beautiful Joe.

Lloyd

Thank you so much. None of the traits that bothered me about the tweeter on the TADs is prevalent with my CJ GAT and ART combo. Maybe I'm just a tube guy at heart.

Absolutely beautiful Joe.

Very nice Joe! If their looks are anywhere close to performance, it has to be quite something.

Nothing against tubes. My preamp is tubed. If sound is the same I would go for SS to avoid the tubes cons. But if there is a sound gain I am willing to do the commitment. Although in some extreme cases like with ARC 750 zillion tubes, that may be just too much and start not being practical regardless of sound.

Will look farter into those and see who carries them here. You preffer those to the Dart?

Hi Eli

As long as the heat is not an issue, yes. The GAT and ART mono combo has been a great revelation to me. They are superb. I can not get to bed before 6am since buying this gear. When I expect to listen to one or two cds turns into an all night affair. They are wonderful.

Very nice Joe! If their looks are anywhere close to performance, it has to be quite something.

Nothing against tubes. My preamp is tubed. If sound is the same I would go for SS to avoid the tubes cons. But if there is a sound gain I am willing to do the commitment. Although in some extreme cases like with ARC 750 zillion tubes, that may be just too much and start not being practical regardless of sound.

Will look farter into those and see who carries them here. You preffer those to the Dart?

Hi Eli

As long as the heat is not an issue, yes. The GAT and ART mono combo has been a great revelation to me. They are superb. I can not get to bed before 6am since buying this gear. When I expect to listen to one or two cds turns into an all night affair. They are wonderful.

Wow...I know how much you liked DTZL generally and within your system, so that is really saying something.

AudioAficionado is a private forum (a business in disguise), only accessible by logging in as a member.
From an insider you wouldn't know all there is happening; for an outsider you get a larger picture.
When someone refers to an AA link, it has to be understood that only the privileged people can read the post, or posts.

And to have AA claiming that it is approaching 200,000 members is to lie straight in your face!

And that, was my point; I cannot access what you're referring to, unless you transcribe it here in full. ...Or copy & paste the ditto post(s).

Bob,

Anyone can become a member of AudioAficionado and read its posts. AA is filled with valuable information for audiophiles, and their members are very friendly helping people. IMHO it is just a different type of audio forum, more focused in exchanging experiences and advice then debating the why's in depth.

Hi Eli

Joe,
Are you using the Marantz NA-11S1 with them?

Wow...I know how much you liked DTZL generally and within your system, so that is really saying something.

Lloyd,

I've been going to bed after the sun comes up every night since getting the GAT/ART combo. I am blown away. This is for my taste, others may not agree, but I have never been so happy.

Joe,
Are you using the Marantz NA-11S1 with them?

I still have the Marantz NA-11S1 but Since getting an EAR Acute 3 cd player and DAC, I've been enthralled with it. It is an amazing piece. A tremendous three dimensional sound stage that I just love and performance that seems tp better my Sony Modwright 5400 unit. I will eventually put the Marantz back in the system but I am just having too much fun right now.

Eli08 said:
So the pipeline for now is next week the ARC 250 (I still have the Momentums here...), next I hope the TADs, after that the 108s, and the Mephistos. IN the meantime we will see what happens with the Boulder.

Good news, keep us posted, am very interested in your findings of this selection of amps.

The mephisto stereo is planned for second week of october in a show and after that if I like what a hear with all the reservations of an unknown system et all, it will go to my house for a few days listening third or forth week of october. If I like the Stereo will have to see if I can get a hold of the monos. Stereo and mono versions many times sound different but the whole situation will be more focused.

The TAD M600 don't have a exact date still but I think is going to be before that. The dealer is working on sourcing one right now. The 108 I can listen to it anytime also since there is a demo unit in stock like the ARC 250. Although these 2 are more for illustration purposes, who knows, I may be surprised. It would be very nice; would imply a big saving...

The Boulder do not have a plan still and as said not sure if I will be able to, but surely would try. Regarding Boulder, the 2150 and the 3060 are more or less at the same price range here (10% - 15% difference). Which one would be a better choice? Impossible to tell and I don't think many, if any, have listened to both. For sure I will not be able to listen to the 3060.

The new Pass Xs I checked and seems I will not be able to listen to them.

Sounds like a very very good set of auditions for you! Good hunting! Look forward to your impressions.

Joe- you never fail to impress my friend!

What does this combo do differently than the dart 18/108?

Joost,

From my perspective, the Dart sound is a little flatter and from the speaker back. The CJ puts the music front and center, totally locked center and super separation of voice and instrument. The music is deeper and more in front of the speakers with more layers and depth. The CJ seems wider on the sound stage also. The Dart is more laid back. The CJ has a wonderful top to bottom fullness without being too much. I will have to add more later but you need to hear it. Zero harshness on the CJ with a touch of sweetness that is fantastic. I have not gone to bed before the sun comes up since getting the CJ gear installed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing