Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Hey Tango,

Bavarian humor...subtle as it is, you might have missed the giggle...

vbw,
a

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Record Cleaning Machine

The best investment the analog Audiophile can do. There are different Designs out there, they are different in speed, comfort and - of course - cleaning results.
Not the fastest but the best result (by far) is the point nozzle Design. Developed from Keith Monks in GB.

You will find in the Internet endless discussions about the "best" Cleaning fluid but the secret - at the end of day - is not the fluid, the secret is to get it out of the grooves. Specially when you clean a few in a row...
The solution for the serious User. 64C77B07-C1DC-4E1F-8804-167DDEE4E547.jpeg

Cleaning.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Record Cleaning Machine

The best investment the analog Audiophile can do. There are different Designs out there, they are different in speed, comfort and - of course - cleaning results.
Not the fastest but the best result (by far) is the point nozzle Design. Developed from Keith Monks in GB.

You will find in the Internet endless discussions about the "best" Cleaning fluid but the secret - at the end of day - is not the fluid, the secret is to get it out of the grooves. Specially when you clean a few in a row...
The solution for the serious User. View attachment 74692

View attachment 74693

Is this machine currently manufactured?

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Here is a picture from the used Fluid (Point Nozzle) with my RCM.
For each record new fluid was used (The Audiodesk - for example - uses the same fluid over and over again, it is ok for a record a day...a typical 'audiophile' Product)
The dirt you can see is coming from M-, VG++ Records or new Reissses (I don't buy them anymore)...

Fluid.jpg

My RCM is/was Made in Germany and is based on the concept of a Monks.
But it is seriously improved from parts and ideas to get even better results.
Bought it years ago and it works perfect. Have no idea about availability now.

Syntax2.jpg

KEITH MONKS MKII.JPG

Syntax.jpg

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Did you have one of these days again? Getting up early, being forced to leave the world of dreams? Surviving the day will all possible power? Meeting the same people again and talking about serious things? Job done well? But hey, now it's over! Finally you are where you belong to. In your world. With a cartridge which serves the musical information right ...

Where all started ...

6E596C56-6ED1-4E21-8C98-DF7FACCD3DB3.jpeg
After listening (and owning) a lot of different cartridges (Lyras, Benz LPS, Transfigurations, Clearaudio Coldfinger ;), Ikeda Kai, Ortofon Anna, Zyx, AirTight Supreme, Denon 103R...) I have to say, I was always a bit skeptical with Koetsu carts. I listened to a few and the last one at my home - a Rosewood Signature Platinum - had a nice midrange, but the lower bottom was weak and the higher frequencies were not on par compared to others. I thought, well, a midrange pusher...maybe ok in the matching system but for my goal to get maximum information out of the grooves (Perfect reproduction of the sound of real music performed in a real space) it wasn't the right one.

Until I found THAT one:

D7F3200D-6136-433D-BA42-9C4C615FB968.jpeg

A nice stone body cartridge which served exceptional performance right out of the box. It delivered tons of subtle details in all frequency areas I never heard from any Koetsu. Pure, clean highs you will never hear anywhere better (!), full of life, fast AND full Bass. When I want to know how good a audio component is, I play a full scale opera production recording or something from a theatre (spoken passages, whispering and wall reflections for example) , I avoid to listen to Reissues because most of them are not identical to Tone compared to the originals and they lack in Soundstage too (classical records, Ballet music for example).
What you hear immediately is the imagination of the Hall where the recording was done... H-U-G-E. It fills the space easily between the speakers and beyond.
I was not able to find any weakness from the Blue Lace. What strikes the listener from the very first moment is its outstanding well proportioned and dynamic expression. There are other carts out there which are also able to serve details but not in this coherence and not that believable way the Blue Lace does.I would rate it as spectacular.
Alignment needs some time, I recommend Dennesen Protractor or Acoustical Systems Uni-Protractor, they are precise and you will be finally spot on. I tried various Koetsus in different Arms and you will read the usual raves for every combo but there are real differences, I got by far the best sonic results (holographic picture, tonal pressure and a much more coherent reproduction overall) with older Arms from Japan.

2002F50A-C08B-428E-906E-6F39B7C25DC9.jpeg

The Divinity

645FF5C8-7B94-4295-9C98-32DEAAFEA399.jpeg

Decca SXL 2136 La Boite a JouJoux Printemps
Not the typical sonic blockbuster but it is the type of subtle and delicate music that is perfect for a quiet night. The subtle details have their own, unique kind of magic. Ultra- Transparent. One of the great recordings.

London CS 6006 Espana
From the very first moment you can hear a Performance which is simply spectacular with stunning mid and low bass. There is a clarity and impact which is outstanding. Imaging is unusually good, the soundstage is wide linked with appropriate depth.

London CS 6046 Nights in the Garden of Spain
The better the units are the more you can hear the subtle interplay between guitar and orchestra. The Soloist is not wrapped into the orchestra, his playing has its own volume and strength.

London CS 6205
short description: SOUNDSTAGE / AMBIENCE / PRESENCE

Lyrita SRCS 109 Arnold - English Dances
Very problematic record, with Cartridges which miss the sonic target by a mile it is simply awful, really horrible, when the System is really done right, it is a killer Performance. Holographic depth at its best.

RCA LSC 2400 - Ballet Music from the Opera
The Verdi selections continue with the Triumphal March, also from Aida. It receives a spectacular performance that almost convinces me of its musical worth. The trumpets are recorded very well, especially their boulevard-wide vibrato. Its flavor is magnificent and serves the grand nature of the opera. The string tone is vibrant, the tactile sense of bow on string sounding rich and very sensual. Macro and micro dynamics are represented truthfully, with percussion instruments adding to the wonderful overall effect. Placement of instruments is pinpoint within the large soundstage, and unison woodwinds and upper strings are separated easily by space and timbre.

Mercury SR 90212 Chabrier Espana
That was the first session in their new recording hall in Detroit. The abilities from Paray shine here at his best. There is a easy going through the complex Performance which is very hard to find. The first notes of Espana, the opening, is among the most impressive moments you can get from a record. When we talk about the Golden Era of Analog, that one is a part of it.

3967CA3A-BA44-4140-90D4-916377A55A10.jpeg

I am a bit confused because this Koetsu sounds so totally different to all other Koetsus (much more complete) I did listen before...but why? I guess Koetsu did definitely change something and did not publish it.....Btw. some think, the older Koetsus are the holy grail (so called long body), don't count me among them.

Back to the beginning
... welcome in a better world ...

Description
The Blue Onyx is an agate Onyx of blue, grey and white layers of fused quartz. Its beauty is sonically unique due to the scarceness of blue stones in nature. The Blue Lace batch was also specially selected because it is the hardest and most rigid among the onyx family, making it an exceptional cartridge housing due to its outstanding sonic qualities. Because of the limited supply of Koetsu's Blue Lace stock, they only issue two Blue Laces a year. The body changes color depending on the light, very nice to look at.
Specifications
Body: Blue Onyx
Type: Moving Coil
Coil Wiring: Silverplated Copper
Magnet: Platinum Magnet
Cantilever: Diamond Cantilever
Output Volts: 0.3mV
Frequency Range: 20Hz to 100kHz
Channel Separation: 25db/1kHz
Inner Impedance: 5 Ohm
Channel Balance: 0.5db/1kHz
Recommended Impedance: 30 Ohm
Weight: 12.5g
Compliance: 5 x 10-6 cm/dyne at 100 hz

Last edited:

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
View attachment 76157

I am a bit confused because this Koetsu sounds so totally different to all other Koetsus (much more complete) I did listen before...but why? I guess Koetsu did definitely change something and did not publish it.....Btw. some think, the older Koetsus are the holy grail (so called long body), don't count me among them.
Very nice review ! Thank you. Do you still use the Omnigon Phono ?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
What ever happened to the Apolyt Turntable ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
I cancelled the Apolyt Order based on delivery issues end of last year.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Syntax,

thank you. wonderful review of the Blue Lace. it sounds like a 'desert island' cartridge. taking you musically to the perfect spot.

i owned the Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum for 10 years 1998-2008. the first 2 years it was my reference. then i had a hard time even thinking about selling it, as i loved it's mid range. about once a year i would mount it and enjoy it for a few weeks. so i understand your views on that one and how the Blue Lace goes much farther and is much more linear in the full frequency.

i have a couple of questions. i also owned a Lyra Olympos SL which i know that you hold in very high regard. can you shed any light on how the Blue Lace and Olympos SL compare?

and; does this Blue Lace have the diamond Cantilever?

thanks and again appreciate this great write-up. stuff that dreams are made of.

Reactions: jazdoc

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
I guess, there is no black or white, winner or loser Answer ...
it will depend on your priority, musical preferences, listening to reissues or not and the matching components for it.
the Olympos SL is more a Diva than the Koetsu ...
when your priority is speed, attack, resolution ... plus believable tonal colors ...then that one is the one to go
when your priority is richness, body, vibrant tone, wide dynamic shifts with natural flow ...then the Koetsu Stone Body is a serious choice

yes, I own Blue Lace Diamond Cantilever
did own BL regular cantilever first and sent it back later for diamond cantilever installation

54F5F457-D1A4-4ED5-B469-17C67EFF3FE4.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing